• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

NIS.exe error and Manual Program Control problems

After the NIS update from 2013 to 2014 version, I'm having several issues.

The first is the NIS.exe error on shutdown. And the other is computer freeze when i deacivate automatic program control.

Same erros on both computers runing Win7x64.

I have unistalled 2013, and runed the Norton removable tool, and then isnstalled 2014.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

;)

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS.exe error and Manual Program Control problems

After the NIS update from 2013 to 2014 version, I'm having several issues.

The first is the NIS.exe error on shutdown. And the other is computer freeze when i deacivate automatic program control.

Same erros on both computers runing Win7x64.

I have unistalled 2013, and runed the Norton removable tool, and then isnstalled 2014.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

;)
Kudos0

No, I had only norton from 2011, but this issue happened after i installed 2014 version on both pc-s! 

i7-6GB ram

;)
Kudos1

Hi lfe,

Anyway we might be able to know what the exact wording of the errors are?

Any possibility of a screenshot? (Instructions below)

http://community.norton.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Forum-Tip-How-to-post-screenshots-in-the-forum/td-p/254415

Kudos0

Here is the screenshot, 

is saying that:"Instruction 0x68.... made a reference to memory at 0x0000.... The memory could not be read."

;)
Kudos0

Kudos0

Probably, but how to solve because is really annoying me! 

;)
Kudos0

Sounds like there may have been something that did not go 100% right with the upgrade. There may be a corrupt file somewhere. If you try a reinstall using the Norton Removal and Reinstall tool, you will have a fresh installation.

Download the Norton Removal and Reinstall Tool from here   www.norton.com/nrnr
If you use Identity Safe, backup/export your data. Use the CSV format for compatibility.
Run the Norton Removal and Reinstall Tool.
Reboot.
Run LiveUpdate manually a few times, rebooting as necessary, until no updates are available.
Try to log into your Identity Safe. If you can, you are done. If not, Import your Identity Safe data.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

@peterweb

I have already done that but no luck!

;)
Kudos0

lfe wrote:

@peterweb

I have already done that but no luck!

The next suggestion is to use the Norton Removal Tool which does a more thorough uninstall to remove possibly corrupted settings or files.

Download the Norton Removal Tool from here   www.norton.com/nrt
If you use Identity Safe, backup/export your data. Use the CSV format for compatibility.
Uninstall your Norton product with Windows control panel.
Reboot.
Run the Norton Removal Tool.
Reboot.
Click on the Download button beside your current product subscription. This will download and install a preactivated copy of your product.
Run LiveUpdate manually a few times, rebooting as necessary, until no updates are available.
Try to log into your Identity Safe. If you can, you are done. If not, Import your Identity Safe data.

Kudos0

no way! Still, got the error message and computer freeze after switching to manual program control

Unistalled via Control panel

Restared

Executed NRT

Restarted

Downloaded and installed again NIS!

Updated

Restarted

Updated

Restarted

Switch to Manual Program Control

ERORR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+is there any support for software issue?

;)
Kudos0

Hi lfe

You might like to consider rolling back to 2013 or try live chat on the keyboard it’s free, with a Norton representative on the link below.  Vary the times of day you try, as it’s difficult to know when they are busy. 

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/contact?directChat=on&entsrc=redirect_pubweb

Norton Internet Security v20 (2013) download link below.

http://norton.com/nis20

ATB

intesec

Kudos0

Still I can't use the manual program control.

The guy on live support didn't knows even the Norton features...   

;)
Kudos0

Is it the Automatic Program Control you are trying to turn off?

At what point do you get the error? Is it after you click 'configure' beside that setting?

Can you post a screenshot of the error you get when you try to turn it off?

Kudos0

@peterweb, I have already posted the NIS.exe error on shutdown.

II have problems after turnin OFF, Automatic Program Control.

The computer FREEZE, if any software is asking to access internet permission. The popup window for the permission allow/disallow is "delayded". It need more than 15 min to "wake up" from freeze.

If I restart/shutdown, the NIS.exe error is showing up. (see previews post for image)

This happens only when I switch to OFF APC.

If anyone can try and see if it has the same issue.

;)
Kudos0

Norton Internet Security
Windows 7 Home Premium
7600.17273.amd64fre.win7_gdr.130318-1532
Norton Autofix Results: 0 item(s)

;)
Kudos0

Hello guys,

i have the same problem as Ife. The same Error appears on shutdown the system.

The computer FREEZE, if any software is asking to access internet permission. The popup window for the permission allow/disallow is "delayded". It need more than 15 min to "wake up" from freeze.

My OS: Windows 8 Pro 64 bit, Norton Internet Security, Version 21.0.2.1

This happens only when I switch to OFF APC.

Is there any solution ? Even the Norton Support wasn't abel to help me.

Greets

Kali

Kudos0

No official solution at the moment.

Kudos0

Ah, okay, thank you for your reply.

Kudos0

Ife, any particular reason you WANT to deactivate Automatic Program Control ? Norton does a pretty good job of controlling access, without prompting you all the time. However, if you set APC to Agressive, it will only alert you if it detects a suspect program with poor trust levels. Then you can decide whether to allow, or block the program.

This will give you a measure of control, without the constant alerts.

Note---this only monitors inbound traffic. The firewall will still make automatic decisions, on outbound traffic.

Windows 7 64 Bit Sp1 NIS V 21.6.0.32
Kudos0

I just got the same error as well  after updating to NIS 2014.  Error code on shutdown.  

Kudos0

Hi LX3:

If your problem occurs in NIS 21.0.x when you turn your Smart Firewall Automatic Program Control to Off, please see here for links to other threads in the forum related to this topic.  I haven't seen any solution in the forum to date other than than turning Automatic Program Control back to Automatic in NIS 21.0.x or downgrading back to NIS 20.x (see hojo's post here) or NIS 19.x (see anotherbostongu's post here).

EDIT:

... and apologies to kalifrago for misspelling your username in my post in the N360 forum.

------------
MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * Firefox 24.0 * IE 9.0 * NIS 2013 v. 20.4.0.40
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Kudos0

lmacri wrote:

Hi LX3:

If your problem occurs in NIS 21.0.x when you turn your Smart Firewall Automatic Program Control to Off, please see here for links to other threads in the forum related to this topic.  I haven't seen any solution in the forum to date other than than turning Automatic Program Control back to Automatic in NIS 21.0.x or downgrading back to NIS 20.x (see hojo's post here) or NIS 19.x (see anotherbostongu's post here).

EDIT:

... and apologies to kalifrago for misspelling your username in my post in the N360 forum.

------------
MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * Firefox 24.0 * IE 9.0 * NIS 2013 v. 20.4.0.40
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

I'm sorry to say mine was already set to "auto" , it has never been off  , i had'nt touched any settings in there . 

Kudos0

LX3 wrote:
I'm sorry to say mine was already set to "auto" , it has never been off  , i had'nt touched any settings in there .

Since your problem does appear to be related to lfe's issue with Automatic Program Control, it would probably be best if you started a new thread and posted a screenshot of the error message you're getting.  I noticed here that you were having problems with NIS 20.x (2013) before you upgraded to NIS 21.x and a clean re-install using the Norton Removal Tool to wipe all NIS 20.x files off your system might be required.

------------

Kudos0

Hi @lfe ,

I've sent a Private Message () requesting logs, Please check it when you get a chance.

Mohanakrishnan G | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Hi lfe

Have you or have you ever had any other security software including any trial security software on the computer including Norton?  If so what is it?  

Can you check in windows add/remove programmes, programme data and programme files for any security software that may have been bundled in a download?

ATB

intesec

Replies are locked for this thread.