• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

NIS 2012 and Windows 8.1

As many of you know, in order to use the Local Vault you first have to install NIS 2012 (ver 19), create the Local Vault and then upgrade to NIS 2013 (ver 20) or to NIS 2014 (ver 21). This is doable in Windows 8 but NIS 2012 is not compatible with Windows 8.1 and actually will crash the system. I am running a clean install of Windows 8.1 Pro GA and have tried both 19.5.1.2 and also 19.8.0.14 and they both crash 8.1. Is there a NIS 2012 (v19) that is compatible with 8.1 and where can I download it?

If not then I guess the Local Vault is history on my systems.

Sure wish Norton would bring back the Local Vault in their new products, it would make life a lot better.

Jim

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS 2012 and Windows 8.1

I do not use Win 8.

Is there a Compatibility mode you can use to run the Norton 2012 installer?

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

I just did a clean install of Windows 8.1 as well and am experiencing the same issues. When installing NIS from ComCast, I too receive the error message saying that it won't install in compatibility mode. However, when checking the setup app, it is being shown as NOT BEING in CM.

I don't know who to smack around here: MS for creating enhanced protection mode, which actually makes many (including some of their own), browser extensions incompatible with IE11, or Symantec for not being ready with a current product for Windows 8.1.

This ain't a preview anymore and the RTM has been out for awhile, so please don't hide behind the same old tired excuses.

Kudos1

Kudos0

Much obliged. :)

Oh man...I am REALLY HATING the way Identity Safe looks! YUCK!

Kudos0

A55A551N-11B3P wrote:

I just did a clean install of Windows 8.1 as well and am experiencing the same issues. When installing NIS from ComCast, I too receive the error message saying that it won't install in compatibility mode. However, when checking the setup app, it is being shown as NOT BEING in CM.

I don't know who to smack around here: MS for creating enhanced protection mode, which actually makes many (including some of their own), browser extensions incompatible with IE11, or Symantec for not being ready with a current product for Windows 8.1.

This ain't a preview anymore and the RTM has been out for awhile, so please don't hide behind the same old tired excuses.

Enhanced Protected Mode utilizes 64 bit code in the browser and tabs. As has been reported before in many places, not just these forums, 64 bit browsers do not currently support many add ons.

At this point you have to choose between the benefits of EPM or the convenience of your add ons.

At some point in time this will probably change, but no way to know when.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

I admit that i didn't really keep up with the 8.1 news, so this whole EPM and such were new to me. Weird now is that most of my add-ons are now working with EPM on when before they wouldn't.

Finally got to NIS to work, but am using a trial version while waiting for Comcast to fix their version...which, doesn't make sense because I have used both the retail version of NIS and thiers and I see no difference. I know there is some thing about them not using online backup, but really that seems to be it.

TOTALLY HATE the new Identity Safe look. God I hope this isn't final (I fear it is though. :( )

Kudos0

Deleted

Kudos0

Well this thread got off subject. My specific concern is about NIS 2012 (v19) and Windows 8.1. The newer versions work except for the IE11 EPM which Norton is still working on. Trying to preserve the Local Vault on a new install.

Jim

Kudos0

I am also having the same problem with Nis2012 and Win 8.1.

My question is, will Norton ever bring back the Local Vault ?

If not, why not ? 

How safe is, or will be, the Cloud ?

I'm sure that with all the Data Collecting and Hacking going on the world, it won't be long before someone gets into the cloud.

Or is it a case of heads in the 'Clouds' ?

At least, with a Local vault, my Data is MY responsibility.

Why not give us, the customers, the option

Since when has the customer always been 'WRONG'.

Kudos0

PhoneMan wrote:

Well this thread got off subject. My specific concern is about NIS 2012 (v19) and Windows 8.1. The newer versions work except for the IE11 EPM which Norton is still working on. Trying to preserve the Local Vault on a new install.

Jim

Hi Jim,

I know no one likes a smart aleck - but how bad do you want the Local Vault back?

If you can't get to  NIS 2012 from 8.1, then it looks like the other option is to go back to 8.0, install NIS 2012, upgrade over the top to V 21, then further update to v 21.1.0.18 and finally go back to 8.1.

Yup, a real PITA - but as I asked  - how bad do you really want the Local Vault?  

It sure seems like someone is making it more difficult at every upgrade/update to retain or re-obtain the Local Vault.

Kudos1

yank wrote:

PhoneMan wrote:

Jim

Hi Jim,

I know no one likes a smart aleck - but how bad do you want the Local Vault back?

If you can't get to  NIS 2012 from 8.1, then it looks like the other option is to go back to 8.0, install NIS 2012, upgrade over the top to V 21, then further update to v 21.1.0.18 and finally go back to 8.1.

Yup, a real PITA - but as I asked  - how bad do you really want the Local Vault?  

It sure seems like someone is making it more difficult at every upgrade/update to retain or re-obtain the Local Vault.

Not bad enough to start with a clean install of Windows 8. I will probably get a SSD later this year and want to do a clean install so will need to start looking for an alternate to Norton. I have looked at KeyPass but need to really check it out and may end up dropping Norton in the future as they seem to make things worse for their customers with each new release. I doubt that Norton will make NIS 2012 compatible with 8.1 or bring back the Local Vault but hope is eternal.

Kudos1

When you said NIS 2012 crashes, does it crash on installation or when you try to use it after rebooting?

If it installs all the way, can you open it if you boot safe mode?

http://www.7tutorials.com/5-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-8-windows-81

Dave

Kudos0

OMG do I agree wholeheartedly on that.

With each successive iteration, it seems their products take one step forward and two back.

Honestly, the only reason I am still using NIS is for ID Safe, but now they've gone and screwed that up. But as you mentioned, I am a little leary about using a third-party app. Yes I know NIS is a 3rd-party app, but you know what I mean.

Kudos0

NIS 2012 will install OK but then it crashes 8.1 after a minuet or so or if you try to open it. I should not have to go to safe mode to run this product and it usually crashes before I can do anything.

Jim

Kudos0

I wasn't suggesting you go into safe mode every time you want to use the product.

I understand what your trying to do here.

All you need to do is create a local vault before it crshes windows and then that local vault will be preserved when you install the latest NIS over the top of it. 

Dave

Replies are locked for this thread.