• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Problem with Firefox and the new Identity Safe with Norton 360 21.1.0.18

Since upgrading to Norton 360 21.1.0.18 (which included a new version of Norton Identity Safe 2014.6.1.2), I am having some problems with the Identity Safe Toolbar in Firefox 24. These problems do not occur with Internet Explorer 10.

1. Some (but not all) of the web pages I go to that I have saved logins for in Identity Safe give me a prompt "Which Login do you want to use?" but Identity Safe does not give me a list of logins to choose. My only options when this occurs are to click on an 'X' to close the prompt or click on "Don't Ask". If I choose the "'Don't Ask", I then get a message that the page will be ignored, which is not what I want. There is no way to choose which login to use for these pages. Under Internet Explorer, I get a list of 2 or more logins that I can choose for that web site.
  2. In Firefox when I click on the "Vault is Open" icon in the Norton toolbar, nothing happens. In previous versions of the Toolbar, when I clicked on the Vault icon, it opened up a menu which included choices like Edit Logins ,etc. Under Internet Explorer when I clice on the Vault Icon, it still brings up a list of choices.

I tried looking through the existing topics in this forum, and while there are lots of topics that list problems with the new Identity Safe, I could not find any that matched my situation.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Problem with Firefox and the new Identity Safe with Norton 360 21.1.0.18

Hi tngordo,

I must admit I have not heard of this situation on the forums either.  I am not a daily user of FF (for other than troubleshooting purposes), but I would like for you Close FF and your vault, then go to IE and open your vault.  Now open you FF and the Vault shold show as Open - does it?

Also I assume you have the Norton Toolbar displayed on FF 24 since you says the Open vault does nothing.

Kudos0

Yank, thanks for the response, but I think you may have misinterpreted the second symptom in my post. I'm not having a problem opening the vault on Firefox. In fact, if you read back at my original post, I said that when I click on the 'Vault is Open' part of the Toolbar nothing happens.  It does not say 'Vault is Closed'.

Kudos0

Hi tngordo,

Yup - my bad, I misunderstood what you said, you said it quite clearly and I can see that now that you have corrected me!  Thanks, although I am not sure knowing the correct situation will permit me to assist you. 

I believe if everything is working OK in IE and you click on Vault is Open in IE and get the drop down and the options, then your install of N 360 and ID Safe within that install should be OK.   That would leave something within FF - bearing in mind I am not an expert in the FF area, from what I have seen in the past, I would suggest a clean install of FF 24.  Unless you desire to upgrade to FF 25, then the upgrade may Fix it.

Kudos0

Update:

My first problem (where Identity Safe did not provide a list of logins when I get the "Which Login do you want to use" went away when I turned off hardware acceleration in the Firefox options. I saw that suggestion in another topic on this forum. Still seems like a problem between FF and Identity Safe, but at least I have a temporary workaround.

On the second problem, I updated to Firefox 25, but the problem where I click on 'Vault is Open' and nothing happens was not fixed. The only exception to this is that it works the first time after I restart Firefox but after that clicking on 'Vault is Open' does nothing.

So it looks to me like there are at least 2 issues involving the latest Toolbar and Firefox. Everything continues to work perfectly with Internet Explorer. I hope the Norton folks can look into this.

Kudos0

Thanks for the feedback.  I saw somewhere on the boards that a "clean install of FF 25 "cleared a problem situation". As I recall it, the OP did an update of FF 25 and had a problem, then did a clean install of FF 25 and the problem was gone.  That is basically why I suggested a clean install of FF 24.  since I am not a user of FF, I would assume that woudl be a total uninstal and then a clean downlaod and install - but a FF user would know better than I do.  Just a suggestion. 

Kudos0

Yank:

I uninstalled Firefox 24 and then did a clean install of Firefox 25. No difference.

I guess I'll just deal with this until it eventually gets fixed. I can't believe that this problem is unique to me and I'm not even going to entertain any ideas of uninstalling Norton 360 or any other such major surgery.

In the meantime, I can minimize the problem by getting rid of some duplicate and/or similar logins so that I don't encounter the "Which login do you want to use?" prompt very often.

Thanks for your attempts to help me. I will monitor the forum for any other similar issues (or maybe other users will see this post and say "Me too".

Kudos0

Sorry I wasn't more help! Please post back if you get (find) a solution as it may help others.
Kudos0

I didn't post to this.  Why am I getting it.

Kudos0

Hi tngordo, the Norton Toolbar in Firefox has no drop down options. Once the Vault is opened, all the options and tabs are accessible from inside the vault UI.

Windows 7 64 Bit Sp1 NIS V 21.6.0.32
Kudos0

F4E wrote:

Hi tngordo, the Norton Toolbar in Firefox has no drop down options. Once the Vault is opened, all the options and tabs are accessible from inside the vault UI.

F4E; I think the use of the term dropdown is not precisely what I meant, where a drop down is indicated by a down arrow on the toolbar. What I was referring to was when I go to a web page for which I have 2 or more logins for that url (or similar url's), Identity Safe issues a prompt asking which of the logins I want to use and a 'box' appears at the top of the web page listing the logins. This is not a drop down, per se. My problem was that I was getting the prompt but the box with the logins was not showing up using Firefox.

Now that I have clarified the drop downissue (hopefully), I want to provide an update on my problem. Since I had tried everything else (clean install of Firefox, etc), I decided to try to recreate the problem with just a few open tabs in Firefox. Normally, I have upwards of 20 tabs open routinely. So I changed the Firefox options to only open my home page and started Firefox. I then proceeded to open 1 new tab for which I had a login and after logging in I would click on the 'Vault is Open' button and the Identity Safe UI opened up. I continued this process until I had 5-6 tabs open and the UI continued to open. The same goes for the "Which login do you want to use" dialog.

The bottom line is that there appears to be some kind of memory limit on how many tabs can be open in Firefox (and maybe other browsers) before the new Identity Safe toolbar/app stops working. I don't know if this will be useful to the Norton folks, but I thought I would disseminate my experiences just in case. In the meantime, I will endeavor to limit my number of open tabs. I haven't had time to figure out what the upper limit is.

Kudos0

Ok, I get what you're sayng now ! There have been some compatibilty issues with the Toolbar and Firefox, and Symantec is aware of them. Also, the memory thing with Firefox is interesting, as it's long been known to be prone to memory leaks.

I don't use Identity Safe, but I have had the occasional freeze in Firefox, which I just put down to the pleasures of open source software, restart FF and carry on !....

Windows 7 64 Bit Sp1 NIS V 21.6.0.32

Replies are locked for this thread.