• Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Monthly report?

Hi

According to my monthly report I had:

3 computer threats detected and 23 Network events monitored

But, when I click on the links to see what kind of threats, I just come to the "History" and I can see no threats at all? Where do I find those instances showing these threats?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Monthly report?

Hi,

After opening the program click on history and the n in the 'show' box at the top click the arrow to bring up the dropdown menu. Select the history you wish to review and it will be loaded.

Keep us posted

DickWin7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
Kudos0

Hi Melen:

I have the Monthly Report disabled in my settings, but it's possible the three computer threats reported were just harmless tracking cookies detected during a Full System Scan or manual Quick Scan. If History | Show | Resolved (or Unresolved) Security Risks doesn't show anything, look at the details of your recent Full System Scans in History | Show | Scan Results and see if any tracking cookies were detected during the scans.

------------
MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * Firefox 25.0.1 * IE 9.0 * NIS 2013 v. 20.4.0.40
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Kudos0

When I click 'Network' under history, I cannot find any of those 23 detections

and where do I find the 3 computer threats in History?

Ive got NIS 11.

Kudos0

Hi Melen:

The 23 network events are likely buried somewhere in History | Show | Firewall Activity and as I mentioned in message # 3, you might be able to find the 3 computer threats if you check the details of any full system scan from the past month or so and look for tracking cookie detections.  Please see SendOfJive's comments here regarding the limitations of Monthly Reports.

I've disabled these reports at Settings | General | Other Settings | Monthly Report because I find that most of the statistics are meaningless and offer no insight into the actual level of risk posed to your system by the detected "threats". 
------------
MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * Firefox 25.0.1 * IE 9.0 * NIS 2013 v. 20.4.0.40
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Kudos0

Melen wrote:

Ive got NIS 11.

NIS11 is seriously outdated software.  As new malware variants evolve so does antivirus software to help keep it at bay.  I would strongly suggest you upgrade to the latest version (free of charge while your subscription is current).  All you need to do is visit the Norton Update Center and click Update Me Now and follow the instructions.

If you are willing to upgrade and if you use Norton Identity Safe, please backup your ID Safe data before you do anything.

Remember to run Live Update, restarting where required, until no more updates are available.

If you wish to keep a local ID Safe instead of changing to an online ID Safe, please look carefully for the option to stay local and if you see an option to Sync with your account, choose not to.

W W W  =  Wild Wild West.    Be careful out there!
Kudos0

I just found alot of "Info" instances in history. No tracking cookies were removed and no 3 threats.

Anyway on Norton 2011 isnt it secure aslong as you keep updating?

Kudos1

That depends, do you want 'some' protection or the best possible protection?

Please bear in mind that as well as offering users a better level of protection, each new version of NIS has had improvements made in system performance.  That is each new version uses less system resources.

The choice is yours of course and you can always downgrade back to NIS11 if you aren't happy with the latest version, NISv21 or NIS14.

Cheers!

Kudos0

It depends on what these new protections are, is there any link where I could read about those upgrades?

Kudos0

This post talks about Windows 8.1 compatibility, but it also lists some of the changes from NISv20 (2013 version).

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Protection-Blog/New-Norton-Compatibility-with-new-features-of-Windows-8-1/ba-p/1014697

Note that the image is of Norton 360 and not NIS, but the changes apply to both.

It doesn't, however mention the improvements from NIS11 to NIS12 to NIS13.  Perhaps someone else can find posts that list these changes.

Kudos1

Hi Melen:

Further to Krusty13's link in message # 10 to recent improvements to NIS/N360 21.x (2014), here are older Norton Protection Blog posts for improvements to:

NIS 19.x (2012):  http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Protection-Blog/What-s-New-in-Norton-Internet-Security-2012/ba-p/433160

NIS/N360 20.x (2013):  http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Protection-Blog/Norton-In-Depth-Part-1/ba-p/812154

------------

Replies are locked for this thread.