• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

MIXIDJ malware

I have been attacked by malware known as MIXIDJ  It is known for replacing the default search engine  and suspected of stealing passwords and copying keyboard input.

My search engine was replaced by it, but I have no way of knowing whether it has snooped through my HD or monitored my passwords.  But it is scary stuff.    

I bought my computer 18 months ago, with Norton Internet Security pre-installed.  I have never turned Norton off, and assumed it was doing its job monitoring downloads and attachments as advertised. 

My question is this:  Why doesn't NIS catch MIXED either as an attachment or download? If not then, why not when I ran a Full System Scan?  Furthermore, when I search Google it finds 230,000 hits, but NIS's site search has no hits! 

Another question: What am I missing here?  I extended my license because I thought Norton was protecting my back.  But now I find they are letting stuff slip through.  Does NIS do only viruses, but not malware? What else isn't covered? 

Let me know what to expect so I can plan accordingly. 

Replies

Kudos0

Re: MIXIDJ malware

I have been attacked by malware known as MIXIDJ  It is known for replacing the default search engine  and suspected of stealing passwords and copying keyboard input.

My search engine was replaced by it, but I have no way of knowing whether it has snooped through my HD or monitored my passwords.  But it is scary stuff.    

I bought my computer 18 months ago, with Norton Internet Security pre-installed.  I have never turned Norton off, and assumed it was doing its job monitoring downloads and attachments as advertised. 

My question is this:  Why doesn't NIS catch MIXED either as an attachment or download? If not then, why not when I ran a Full System Scan?  Furthermore, when I search Google it finds 230,000 hits, but NIS's site search has no hits! 

Another question: What am I missing here?  I extended my license because I thought Norton was protecting my back.  But now I find they are letting stuff slip through.  Does NIS do only viruses, but not malware? What else isn't covered? 

Let me know what to expect so I can plan accordingly. 

Kudos0

Hi dash1730,

First, Norton is the best protection you can have. Second, Norton cannot protect you from 100% of the threats 100% of the time. They are being released by the thousands daily. I have found that using an on-demand, free scanner like

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

and / or

http://superantispyware.com/

run weekly gives me better protection.

Norton concentrates on infections that do harm to your hardware and / or software. Other security products focus on other types of infections when you are using their free versions.

If you suspect that any of your identity information has been compromised - change it as soon as possible. I'd start with financial sites and work my way down to the less important ones.

Keep us posted

Dick Win7x64 SP1 current NSBU
Kudos0

Hi dash1730

Confirmation of dickevans’s suggestion see image below?

ATB

intesec

Kudos0

dickevans, thanks for your explanation.  I understand that perfection is not possible. Nevertheless I am disappointed that Norton and their millions couldn't find malware that freebee software has found months ago. But neither their firewall and nor "full system scan" is up to the job.Norton has served me well for many years, but frankly I'm very disappointed it coud not either block or find MIXIDJ that had been around for many months. Being just a partial firewall doesn't impress me. Just my opinion.

Kudos0

Hi dash1730,

Norton is not intended to block these kinds of programs.  As the screenshot posted by intesec shows, Malwarebytes detects this as a PUP, a potentially unwanted program that, the removal or keeping of which, is optional.  PUPs are considered to be only potentially unwanted because they do offer some legitimate service or benefit, such as a  special toolbar, in exchange for the annoying ads or intrusive tracking that users consent to when they install the program.  In most cases these PUPs install as additional piggyback software when you install another program that you want.  It is important to read each screen whenever you are installing or updating anything on your PC, because the consent to include the PUP, and to let it do whatever is stated in its EULA, is usually preselected by default.  It is up to the user to pay attention and to opt out of anything presented in the installation that is unwanted.  Programs like Malwarebytes often detect PUPs and other grayware, whereas most traditional AV programs do not, since PUPs generally install with the user's permission and there is no way of knowing if the permission was granted knowingly or not.

Replies are locked for this thread.