• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Norton Toolbar not working with Firefox 26.0

I've looked for another topic highlighting my problem but not found one.

Dell desktop running XPSP3 and Norton Internet Security 21.1.0.18.

I upgraded to Firefox 26.0 not realising the Live Update wasn't fully up to date. Since then I've not been able to access the Norton Toolbar or Norton Identity Safe.

Whatever I do "Add-ons" reports Toolbar 2014.6.1.2 is incompatible with Firefox 26.0. Current version of the toolbar is 2014.6.2.3 but Live Update won't install it.

In desparation after trying everything I completely uninstalled NIS using the Removal Tool, uninstalled Firefox using Nero, reinstalled NIS - and went through about half-a-dozen Live Updates including computer restarts until NIS reported it was fully up-to-date.

I then reinstalled Firefox yet the probelm still persists. Exactly the same error message.

Norton Toolbar and Identity Safe are working perfectly in both IE8 and Chrome - so, any ideas please on how to get them working in Firefox 26 considering I've already reinstalled both programs?

Replies

Kudos3

Re: Norton Toolbar not working with Firefox 26.0

drjones wrote:

Perhaps someone can both eplain why it's not automatic - and whether they have a solution to my problem of running up-to-date Firefox 26.0

The toolbar patch was released before Firefox 26 but depending on your Operating System, a reboot may be required before it is installed.

It is recommended that you change the setting in Firefox to Check for updates, but let me chose when to install them.

You can then check your Live Update history for a toolbar patch before upgrading Firefox.

Now to get the toolbar compatible with FF26, please see the following post by our Guru @yank .

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Toolbar-Norton-Identity/any-workaround-to-install-the-toolbar-on-Firefox-25/m-p/1060461/highlight/true#M16006

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 * Norton 360 v21.6.0.32
Kudos0

Thank you for your response.

Please note I said "I upgraded to Firefox 26.0 not realising the Live Update wasn't fully up to date." - my settings are already as shown but I inadvertently clicked through the update screen without fully checking Norton had been updated - hence the problem. I still reckon NIS should advise when it's requiring a reboot - my machine's usually left on 24/7 since it takes so long to boot up and it's convenient having it always on.

With respect to the workaround procedure which you linked to, that's essentially what I did - except I did a deeper uninstall of Norton since I used the Norton Removal Tool, and on reinstalling I did NIS first to ensure that it was fully updated prior to putting Firefox back on.

Do you think reinstalling the other way round as on that topic would make a difference?

Kudos0

Krusty13 wrote:    You can then check your Live Update history for a toolbar patch before upgrading Firefox.

Are you suggesting there's a way of looking at a list of what and when Live Update has done? If so please advise how I find it.

Kudos0

I'm not certain about that but I know that people who follow Yank's instructions have success.

Norton will advise that a reboot is needed, IF you run Live Update and a patch is waiting.  I am not sure if you are reminded other wise.  Maybe you could post a suggestion in the Product Suggestion board.

Kudos0

drjones wrote:

Krusty13 wrote:    You can then check your Live Update history for a toolbar patch before upgrading Firefox.

Are you suggesting there's a way of looking at a list of what and when Live Update has done? If so please advise how I find it.

Yes, you can go into your Security History and click the drop-down menu and scroll down to Live Update.  Double clicking on each entry will show which updates were received.  I'm using N360, so I'm not sure of the path with NIS.

Kudos1

In NIS, Clickon Advanced on the Main Page, then Select History under Computer Protection.  Once History page opens - follow Krusty13's directions.  Here is an image of what you will see when you double click on the correct Live Update entry:

As you can see the Norton Browser Toolbar Add-on was installed on Dec 9th @  11:58 AM.  That was a day ahead of FF 26 being officially released. These browser add-on updates come thru as a Patch and can be manually Applied right away or they will be automatically applied on the next restart.  In your case, you'll have to start looking for the updates the day before he offical release date and once you see it has ben downloaded and is requesting the Pacth be applied - Apply it.  It will not reuire a reboot to apply it, or you can wait until you reboot and it will be applied then.

In regards to you doing essentially the same thing as I suggested (which has worked may times in the past), remember I stated:

"Do not add any addtional steps such as running the Norton Removal Tool, as that may cause you to lose your ID Safe, customised settings and will also remove any other Norton programs you may happen to have installed."  Well, that is exactly what you did - essentially the same thing, but not the exact same thing. 

One more thing, the referenced link is for FF 25, for FF 26, you'll need to be looking for NTB 2014.6.2.3 and NVP of 12.0.4.5-1

Please give it a try and let us know if it also works for you.

Kudos0

Right - I've just now spent several hours trying to sort things out.

When you said: 

"Do not add any additional steps such as running the Norton Removal Tool, as that may cause you to lose your ID Safe, customised settings and will also remove any other Norton programs you may happen to have installed."  

... I didn't see what problems if any I'd run into with Identity Safe settings since surely they're all held in the cloud nowadays? Certainly Identity Safe started working again after the reinstall without a problem.

I've gone through the reinstall process as noted on http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Toolbar-Norton-Identity/any-workaround-to-install-the-toolbar-on-Firefox-25/m-p/1060461/highlight/true#M16006

However that didn't work. 

Two points:

a] When you said "Totally uninstall Firefox" I purposely didn't tick the box to remove Firefox personalisation because I didn't want to go through the rigmarole of setting all that up again. Was that an error?

b] Part way through the Norton reinstall Firefox opened without me initiating it. Clearly Norton must have initiated it. But this was before I had a chance to Live Update. I closed it down, did four Live Updates including restarts when prompted - plus an additional restart at the end.

The same problem evidenced itself.  "Toolbar 2014.6.1.2 is incompatible with Firefox 26.0"

So I've uninstalled Firefox 26.0 and reverted to Firefox 25.0 - everything's now working again.

HOWEVER...

Whilst doing that with my XP desktop - since it takes so long for a restart (circa 15 minutes) - I've been using my W8 Ultrabook - and now I've run into problems on that.

My ultrabook isn't running Norton (I'm just using the Windows Firewall and MSE) but I am running Norton Identity Safe on that. During the reinstall on the desktop machine Identity Safe stopped working on the ultrabook! It was hanging after password insertion no matter which browser I was using (IE10, FF26, Chrome).

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Identity Safe on my ultrabook (using a newly downloaded version of the program) and whilst it's now fully working again in Chrome, it's NOT now working in FF26 (whereas it was before). FF26 is now reporting "Norton Identity Safe toolbar is incompatible with Firefox 26.0 - Norton Identity Safe Toolbar 2014.6.0.27 (disabled)"

I discovered how to manually trigger a Live Update for Identity Safe (something I've not had to do before) - that downloaded an update (why? I'd only just downloaded the program from Norton!) and required a reboot.

Now when I open up FF26 I find the toolbar not working - "Norton Identity Safe toolbar is incompatible with Firefox 26.0 - Norton Identity Safe Toolbar 2014.6.1.2 (disabled)"

Exactly the same problem as on my XP desktop!!!

ARGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So now I'm in a worse position with my ultrabook now "infected" too!

UPDATE - red text no longer relevant. I've uninstalled Firefox 26 and reinstalled it. Now everything's working as it should again on my ultrabook.

Kudos0

I've now tried - without taking NIS off - taking Firefox completely off (*) - including personalisation (having used MozBackUp to back upfirst)  - and reinstalling FF26. Still the same problem even with the default user template in place. So I've reinstalled FF25 and restored my profile backup

* - I can't continue messing about with this - I'm on a capped broadband service and in the last two days have used 1/6 of my monthly data allowance mainly on this problem iowig to the frequent downloads!

Kudos0

Hi drjones. I realise you're running XP which will sometimes necessitate reboots when updating but in Win 7, I've found the best way to get compatibility between Norton and Firefox is to do a fresh install of Firefox, rather than upgrading via the About tab, Check for Updates.

Running Live Updates until no more are found {Seemingly crucial} and then doing a fresh full install of Firefox, seems to give the best results for compatibility.

Of course with Firefox being open source, there are no guarantees !....

Windows 7 64 Bit Sp1 NIS V 21.6.0.32
Kudos0

This is hopeless!!!!!

I've just been through the whole regmarole uninstalling Firefox then reinstalling it from a fresh download then uninstalling NIS then reinstalling it from a fresh download  then live updating ad-infinitum and it;'s STILL not working!

I give up...................................

Kudos0

Argghhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's even worse now !!!!!

I've uninstalled Firefox 26 and reinstalled Firefox 25.

The Norton Identity Safe/ Norton Internet Protection toolbar was completely missing now - not just disabled as it weas in FF26 - and while I was trying to work out how I might get it bback, FF auto-updated to FF26 without asking AND the NIS/NIP addon is completely missing there too!

Kudos0

I've looked for another topic highlighting my problem but not found one.

Dell desktop running XPSP3 and Norton Internet Security 21.1.0.18.

I upgraded to Firefox 26.0 not realising the Live Update wasn't fully up to date. Since then I've not been able to access the Norton Toolbar or Norton Identity Safe.

Whatever I do "Add-ons" reports Toolbar 2014.6.1.2 is incompatible with Firefox 26.0. Current version of the toolbar is 2014.6.2.3 but Live Update won't install it.

In desparation after trying everything I completely uninstalled NIS using the Removal Tool, uninstalled Firefox using Nero, reinstalled NIS - and went through about half-a-dozen Live Updates including computer restarts until NIS reported it was fully up-to-date.

I then reinstalled Firefox yet the probelm still persists. Exactly the same error message.

Norton Toolbar and Identity Safe are working perfectly in both IE8 and Chrome - so, any ideas please on how to get them working in Firefox 26 considering I've already reinstalled both programs?

Kudos0

For now I've just found a get-round.

I've found a somewhat hidden part of Mozilla's website that has all the previous versions of Firefox available for download:

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/

So I've uninstalled Firefox 26.0 and installed Firefox 25.0.

Norton Identity Safe has now reappeared - which was the crucial element I needed - and  "Add-ons" is reporting the Norton Toolbar as 2014.6.1.2 - although the actual Norton Search box is not there. But I don't use that.

I have to say I'm surprised that Norton Internet Security after all these years is still not properly compatible with Firefox. You shouldn't have to go through all the rigmarole of repeatedly running Live Update before updating Firefox. It should all be done automatically for you. 

Perhaps someone can both eplain why it's not automatic - and whether they have a solution to my problem of running up-to-date Firefox 26.0

Replies are locked for this thread.