• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

live update button missing from menu

I cannot run a live update. The live update function does not not exist under the menu anymore? Please assist

Replies

Kudos0

Re: live update button missing from menu

Hi gouws

It sounds like the best thing to do would be to uninstall Norton Mobile Security ( NMS )

from your device then download NMS from Google Play and then sign in and open the

the NMS app and check to see if you again have the LiveUpdate option in the NMS menu.

Keep us posted and let us know how you go. :)

Cheers.

Kudos0

Still missing. But now all my "call block" numbers are missing after the new install? :-(
Kudos0

I have the same phlegm and also i if.i uninstall won't i have to re purchaseNorton mobile security?
Kudos0

Sorry about typo... I meant to type problem.. Not phlegm
Kudos0

Hi gouws.

Just wondering if there has been a misunderstanding as there never was a live update button that I am aware of....

To find live update I open NMS then select the Menu option and LiveUpdate appears as an option on the pop-up.

Does that help?

Sorry to hear about the call block numbers.  

Kudos0

Ok, Yes Im ref to the one under the popup, its missing now after the latest update. Even now with the new install as you suggested still missing
Kudos0

Hi maddid2001.

Please see my post to gouws and see if that helps.

If you do need to uninstall and re-install NMS, when you run through the register process select the "I have already purchased this product" option and your license should be recognized.

Finally if you need to change a post due to a typo or whatever then for one hour after the first post you can get back in and edit it by selecting "edit" from the "options" drop down at the top right of the post.  If you do edit a post it is always best to make clear what has been edited in case someone has read the post prior to the edit.

All the best.

Kudos0

Hi maddid2001

Just to add to Andmike s post being make sure you use the same Norton

Account details when signing in to the fresh install of the NMS app as they

are linked to your purchase of the paid full version of Norton Mobile Security

for your device.

Cheers. 

Kudos0

What version are you currently using gouws?

Mine is V3.7.0.1107  and its showing on that for me.

Kudos0

Yes on your ver it was there. But on the new ver 3. 8. 0. 1196 its missing.
Kudos0

Hi gouws

Just a few questions being what OS does your Android device have installed.?

What Android device do you have.?

And is there any chance you could post a screenshot of the Menu of the NMS app

on your device.?

The more info we can gather will be much appreciated in assisting with this strange

issue that you have with the NMS Menu.

Cheers.

Kudos0

Ok

Android 4. 2. 2
Htc One (m7)

My Popup has all the items as your version but starts with settings not liveupdate as your version
Kudos0

Dear Andmike and Smithy,

We are referring to the live up date button on the menu in the application itself. Its missing after the latest update. My version of NMS after the latest update is V3.8.0.1196 Uninstalling and re-installing not going to help, i guess there's bug in the new update or there's no more live up date? ?

Cheers! :)
Kudos0

Hi all

Currently i am testing with version 3.7.0.1107 and i do see the Run LiveUpdate option

in the NMS app Menu.

Now i have just run the update for NMS from Google Play to version 3.8.0.1196 and i

too now see that the Run LiveUpdate option has dissappeared from the Menu.

This may be a bug or a change that is intended by the Norton Mobile Team.

This issue will be reported to the Norton Mobile Team for more investigation to find out

more info is possible.

Thank you to all the Norton Community Members for bringing this issue to the Community

Forums.

We will keep this thread up to date with any news.

Cheers.

Kudos0

Thanks everyone for the quick reply. I too have the 3.8.0.1196. Android vers 4.0.4. Hopefully Norton will fix this soon. I perform daily scans and feel uncomfortable not being able to perform live updates prior to scans
Kudos0

Merged with an existing thread on the same topic
Kudos0

Android 4.3 and Norton 3.8.0.1196. Also lost the Live Update option. A bit frustrating since I checked the activity logs after receiving the product update and saw that live update had failed.

Kudos0

maddid2001 wrote:
also i if.i uninstall won't i have to re purchaseNorton mobile security?

Hi, maddid2001,

No, you won't have to repurchase. In the latest versions of NMS, your purchase is recorded to your Google Account, so even if you do a factory reset (or buy a new phone, as I just had to), your purchase will still be remembered.

V/R,

--DistEd2

Kudos0

I am very dissapointed

Again, and again, still something going wrong with Norton products

Wthat's going wrong with this Company, why???

I don't believe they care for Customers

If nothing changes with this problem I'm going to change to another comapny

and product

that's only solution

regards

Kudos0

Yep the same thing on mine too, missing the Liveupdate and when it's scanning it's missing files on the SD Card that didn't scanned...need an fast update fast, cuz paying for a 30euro program cannot be like this...c'mon Norton FIX it ASAP plz!!!!

Kudos0

I have the same issue — no LiveUpdate button! I'm running Norton Mobile Security version 3.8.0.1196 on a Nexus 7 (2013) with Android version 4.4.2 KitKat. My Norton app was updated early this morning. When I view the Norton activety log, I notice that two updates were completed; three failed. What's going on and when will this problem be fixed? I've used Norton security software on all of my devices for a number of years — problems like this make me wonder if this is a wise decision . . . 

Kudos0

Yep, this has happened to me as well. Updated to Norton Mobile Secuity 3.8 this morning (1-10-2014), and saw that the live update feature is now missing from the menu. Don' know if this is a bug or if this was intended. Would like to know from someone either way though so I'm not thinking that this app can't be updated anymore.

Kudos0

Yep, same thing happened to me. I updated to the latest version of Norton Mobile Security on 1-10-2014 on my smartphoine running Android 4.1.2 and my Google Nexus 7 running Android 4.4.2, and noticed that in both cases, the live update feature is missing from the menu. Don't know if this is intended , or if it's a bug. Hopefully someone with Norton is looking into this.

Kudos0

Greetings, all,

As this thread is getting a bit longer with the additional postings, I did want to confirm that @smithy has reported this to Norton, and they've passed it to the development team. We'll keep you posted if we hear anything further--and will be anxiously awaiting the return of the LiveUpdate button ourselves!

V/R,

--DistEd2

Kudos0

To me, there's a larger issue at stake here. 

As I stated in my previous post, my Norton activity log reports that two updates were completed; three failed. We already know that the LiveUpdate button is missing and that the SD card scan is apparently not functioning properly. What other functions of this app were incorrectly updated? Is this latest version of Norton Mobile Security actually offering any protection to the devices it's installed on? Does anyone at Norton really know? 

Security software is intended to be the first line of defense against viruses and malware — as such, it should function perfectly. When a security program fails to operate as intended, I quickly lose faith in it. I am currently using Norton 360 Multi-Device on two Windows 7 laptops and Norton Mobile Security on two Android tablets. In the past few months I have had issues with Norton on all of these devices. It kind of makes me wonder what's going on at Symantec . . . I guess that's why I'm typing this comment on a Chromebook — Chrome OS needs no additional AV software. 

Kudos0

Fortunately, we have independent testing labs that consistently rate Norton products among the best at offering protection (generally the best), so we can actually feel pretty secure in our protection.

Bear in mind, too, that there's a lot about the issues you've reported that is still unknown. The development team may come back and tell us that the Live Update button has been removed because the product now updates every day automatically (or even receives "push" updates automatically as soon as they are available, because for mobile they're so much smaller than for--say--Norton 360). In other words, the absence of the LiveUpdate button could be a design decision that has actually improved our protection. All we're telling you so far is that we're all seeing the same thing you are.

As for the SD card scan, at this point, that may still be something that--like the vast majority of issues we help folks with here--is specific to your configuration, and shared with (at most) a handful of others, while for the rest of Norton's millions of users, the product is working exactly as expected. That doesn't make it less important for us to get to the bottom of it, and solve it for you...but it's a very different thing from a failure in the product.

But even if, at the end of the day, we discover that one or both of these things somehow slipped through quality control, I suspect you're being unduly harsh. I would bet that people are counting on you every day for the performance of your job...and yet I wouldalso bet that you have not performed everything about it perfectly, every day you've been doing it. We'd be living in a pretty crappy world if that made your boss lose faith in you.

What's going on at Symantec is that Norton is improving the product that those independent testing labs have put at the top of their ratings for years--on the PC side, for decades--adding new features and reorganizing things to offer you better protection (that's what just happened with NMS; this is one of the most significant updates in quite a while). And every time you make substantive modifications to complex code, things get accidentally broken, too. A good quality assurance process will catch the vast majority of them before the public ever sees them. But we just finished celebrating the birthday of the only one who's ever done everything perfectly.

As for ChromeOS (and I'm a big fan of Google, too, having left the PC world for Android a couple years ago), if an OS exists, people are writing malware for it. As I type this, 10% of all Macs worldwide are infected--and the vast majority of their owners don't even know it, because everyone thinks Apple products are "immune" to malware. ChromeOS is new enough and small enough so far that you're pretty safe...but I'd still get some A/V software for it as soon as you can find some....

V/R,

--DistEd2

Kudos0

First off, huge thanks to DistEd2 and the other Norton users and volunteers who post on this thread. The forums are always my first stop when I have an issue or question.

A couple of thoughts.

1) Regarding the possibility that Live Update was purposefully removed: IF this was the case, it would have been good if Norton could have mentioned this in the thread announcing the new version. (Just pointing this out for future threads/changes).
2) Regarding the SD card: Since the SD card is not scanned by default and since you'd only be likely to notice that it's not scanning if you were running a manual scan, if you were watching and noted the number of files scanned, and if you remembered how many files it normally scanned, I think it's likely that many people would have this issue and not notice therefore only a small percentage of people might be posting about it.

Just my two cents.
Kudos0

Thanks, roane; you're absolutely right. It's your feedback that really makes these Forums work for all of us; @smithy and I are taking both reported issues very seriously, and the actual Norton employees we work with on the Forums have confirmed that they've passed this along to the development team. Smithy actually provided a screenshot of the "missing" LiveUpdate option so we'll be sure we're all talking about the same thing...and I just re-emphasized the SD card issue so we'll get  a verdict on that too. One or both of us will pass any info we get back along to everyone as soon as we see it.

We're users too---so we're just as eager as you guys to get to the bottom of this!

Kudos0

Hi Dearcán.

While we all await the return of the Norton team (probably after the weekend) I would just pick up on your comment

Quote:-

I guess that's why I'm typing this comment on a Chromebook — Chrome OS needs no additional AV software. 

Unquote:

I would just urge a little caution (as DistEd2 has already urged) if you are hoping that a Chromebook is invulnerable to threats.  You may like to look at the following two links (you can find far more if you want to).  

The first is "Why the NSA loves Google Chromebook".

The second, already quite old, is "Google Chromebook - a new class of security risk".

I will agree with you that they are relatively safe from most of the malware we have seen in the past but I would never think them invulnerable.

So good luck and lets hope Norton can get back with some good explanations about the update soon.

Kudos0

maybe it's not so hot, I checked the listing of events and in the morning there was an automatic update, updated the virus database fine, the only thing that has failed is just LiveUpdate item, unless it is not in the new version, it is possible that it is just a trivial mistake. we'll see.
Kudos0

Roane (and others),

I'm pretty sure I've got the SD card issue figured out, over on the other thread:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Mobile-Security/SD-Card-is-No-Longer-Being-Scanned/m-p/1077135/highlight/true#M4471

Now we'll wait and see what the development team has to say about the LiveUpdate option. I've got a suspicion--but unlike my SD card hypothesis, no actual data behind it:

When Norton's other scanners run a Full System Scan, they force a LiveUpdate before they run the scan. What if NMS is now doing likewise? I see it contacting "the cloud" before each scan; what for? Could it be doing a LiveUpdate to catch any new defs that might have been issued since that day's automatic LiveUpdate? If so, unlike Norton's PC & Mac offerings, NMS doesn't do real-time scanning (i.e., it's not running in the background, hogging our processors)...so there really isn't any value added (unlike for those versions) by us being able to call for a manual LiveUpdate: it wouldn't be used until the next scan--at which time (if I'm correct here) it would pull a LiveUpdate anyhow.

Under those circumstances, the manual LiveUpdate functionality is just sitting there adding lines of code to the app, and it would make all the sense in the world to remove it (although, as roane notes, we could have been told).

V/R,

--DistEd2

Kudos0

Well done DistEd2.

I'm fairly sure you have got it.

I had delayed updating NMS when I heard of the "problems" until I was sure that I could regress if necessary and had recently done a live update.

Now I have done the update (V3.8.0.1196) and ran some scans....  In my view a great improvement!

First scan without the SD card and without WiFi.  215 files in 36 seconds.

Before the update it took 45 seconds.

Scan without the SD card but with WiFi - 215 files in 51 seconds.  (Looks like it was looking for something on the servers but I had just done a Live Update so it would probably have found nothing.)

Scan with the SD card but no WiFi. 316 files and 4 minutes 16 seconds!  (And Yes I have apps and apks on my SD card.)

Which is a long time but far quicker than it used to be scanning all those image and sound files which are not known to be any threat to Android as far as I am aware!

I have checked my activity log and it looks as if it has checked for Live Updates since the update (cannot yet be 100% sure of this) and no errors shown.  So while I agree that the un-announced disappearance of the option to run LiveUpdate is irritating the app seems to work and (provided that it is doing an auto live update) it is probably better than before.

Now it would appear, all that we have to do is await a comment from the team.   ;-)

[Edited to put info in the best place.  Hopefully!]

Kudos0

Also anxiously awaiting the return of the live update button to my Norton.

Kudos0

Here in the netherlands the same problem. 2 update's are failing, and the live update button is missing.

Kudos0

DistEd2: In addition to the missing live update button in the menu the settings menu is also missing the 'update over Wi-Fi only' option. Just in case anyone hasn't mentioned that already. I would rather wait until I get home to avoid using my data plan to update at random or Norton specified times. Hope Norton can add this functionality back in or advise the users why it was removed. Thanks.

Kudos0

Hi, TDL1068,

Thanks--that's a very good point...although again, remember these aren't Windows-size updates. They're just definition files (and for the relatively few types of malware--compared to Windows--extant for Android), so we're probably talking about less than a megabyte. Glad you brought it up, though; when the Norton folks get a look at this thread, perhaps they can address this too.

V/R,

--DistEd2

Kudos0

Interesting . . . 

My tablet is a 2013 Google (Asus) Nexus 7, 32GB, Wi-Fi only model. I recently rechecked the activity log. Since 10/01/2014, NMS has attempted five automatic updates. Two of the updates were canceled — no network was available. One of the automatic update listings shows that two updates were completed; three updates had failed. The other two LiveUpdate sessions show zero updates completed; three failed. Apparently, I have not received any completely successful updates from Norton since the upgrade to version 3.8.0.1196. @marcel2341970 seems to have also experienced failed automatic updates. @TDL1068 mentioned they had noticed that their settings menu is now missing the "update over Wi-Fi only" option. I suspect that most Wi-Fi only tablet users are not connected to a network 24/7 — thus the need for a manual LiveUpdate option. To me, without this option Norton Mobile Security is a useless app — my tablets are only irregularly connected to a network, and then only for a few minutes at a time. 

On a different but related note, I now seem to be unable to run a manual scan on my tablet, even when connected to a network. For the last two days, whenever I attempt a manual scan a blue "cloud" icon (complete with a moving dot) appears in the upper left-hand quadrant of my device's screen along with a prompt to "connect to cloud". After a few seconds, the app returns to the Anti-Malware screen — no scan is run. I was perusing the reviews of Norton Mobile Security on Google Play and noticed that several other reviewers mentioned the same problem. Is this a new problem, or is it related to the other issues? 

Hopefully, all of these problems will be resolved posthaste — this entire situation has become rather ludicrous!     

Kudos0

Same problem in Greece (Greek version V3.8.0.1196) too.

Update button missing (after upgrading to V3.8.0.1196) and also log file indicates " Live Update has been completed, 0 updates completed, 2 failed) !

Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 3G GT-N5100

Kudos0

A failed LiveUpdate generally results from server congestion at that time (lots of other users trying to pull the update at the same time); these are repeated later until successful. So your protection is actually in order.

Interesting point about Wi-Fi only, though. Most Wi-Fi only devices are connected 24/7 (or darn close)--to the user's home Wi-Fi most of the time, and then to work, public, or hotel Wi-Fi most of the rest. But that doesn't make Norton users who are not always connected any less important--and it's possible that elsewhere in the world this situation would be more widespread (for example in countries where Wi-Fi is metered by the provider just like 3G/4G).

Still, if my hypothesis about what happened to the manual LiveUpdate function is correct (and I stress that we still haven't heard an answer one way or the other from Norton, as they're just waking up out on the West Coast), then running a scan is equivalent to a manual LiveUpdate, because the first thing it does when you do that is pull a LiveUpdate. That's what you're seeing when it tries to connect to the cloud.

However...it does bother me that--even assuming, per the above, that either the LiveUpdate servers are busy or that there is in fact some problem with your network connection (for example you're connected to the hotspot but not to the Internet...for example due to a provider outage or to an "authentication screen" that's required, as at a hotel or some public hotspots)--when you try to run a scan, the result of the front-loaded LiveUpdate failing is a failed scan. I think the user community would universally prefer to be able to manually scan with the definitions we currently have, if we weren't able to get newer ones at that moment.

So if Norton has made a decision to integrate the LiveUpdate function with a scan, for NMS, and do away with the manual function, I would strongly encourage the development team to modify that routine to just run the scan with the existing onboard defs, in the event that the LiveUpdate fails.

V/R,

--DistEd2

Kudos0

uninstall and install or reboot there Microsoft solutions won't work. I tried it and still live update option is missing from the list. why people release the update without testing it?
Kudos0

It is a special and a great company and since Friday what created these problems, none of them expressed what is actually happening, I do not mean support here. Here moderators trying to help. On Saturday I had in the event log that Norton has updated since then there have nothing, even though I'll screening and, although I will note that the scan took place, but no update has not written anything there. How do I know my device is protected?
Kudos0

I am not going to quote DistEd2's last post as it was substantial.  But this is in part a response to it.

I also thought that when a scan was called it started with an attempted live update but no longer think that as there is no sign from the logs though I am getting reports at other times of LiveUpdates being checked and found to be up to date.  But I also get the odd 0 update completed 2 failed....  I also get fails when I am not connected to the internet which is most of the time in my case.

So what I now see implies to me that NMS is trying to do scheduled LiveUpdates but seems to be having problems fitting in with when the device is actually on line.

However we will hopefully be informed by Norton before too long what is happening.  As many will have seen from other posts some have been told that they are intending to bring back the manual update button...

Kudos0

This situation is totally uncalled for plain and simple. If you do a release for an update you better make darn sure that it is working properly. TEST, TEST TEST...its that simple. If you are a CIS major you should know this concept by now. However, this issue has created a huge situation in which many people are not getting current security updates due to the fact that the last update to the Norton mobile app failed miserably. This is also putting many other people at risk because they are not in the know about their updater not working. I have already went and turned off Auto Renew to this app because it will be renewing soon. I will be going to a different product if this is not fixed in the next day or two. I tried to send an email via the google app store to Norton however, that service is turned off. Come Norton lets get with the freaking program. This is an extremely stupid mistake that makes this company look bad. I hope that the team that was in charge of this last update is fired promptly.

Kudos0

My NMS is working perfectly, and my logs show I'm continuing to get updates. I've used NMS since its Beta release, and know the team is very thorough in its testing. So the verdict is, at worst, mixed--bearing in mind that people don't generally come to the Forums to rave about how their Norton is still keeping them wonderfully protected like it always has.

I get that some people would prefer to have their manual LiveUpdate back. And I get that, for some--including at least one of my fellow Gurus--the automated LiveUpdate is having more problems than usual. But it remains to be seen how much of this is a genuine problem, and how much is a deliberate, evidence-based design decision...that some of us may not like as much as others. I've certainly been in the minority before (I love the move to the online Identity Safe vault), and I may be there again when the dust settles on this.

But let's at least give some actual Norton employees the chance to weigh in before we go calling for anyone's head on a platter, OK...?

V/R,

--DistEd2

Kudos0

Very defensive aren't we?  Well I will say this much is that apparently somebody forgot about the user or who the USER's really are. Its definitely not in house at the developing desk either. There was nothing wrong with the app to begin with. However, as I stated before TESTING - TESTING - TESTING and making sure that there are NO issue and no compatibility issue take place. I really think Norton is out of sync with what people really want. If you want to sell a product you have to go with what the USERS perfer. However, taking away a function like the updater and then stating that it is working is laughable. I can send you a list of log files that shows that the UPDATER is NOT working.

We can argue about this all day and you can protect your comrades all day as well however, in the long run NORTON will lose MONEY and the CEO of the company will want to know WHY. So, therefore the wheels to failure must stop otherwise heads will roll. It just seems when something goes wrong and people complain everyone wants to run from it rather than fix it. I have a right to state my complaint as well being that I have been a very long time paying customer of Norton for many many many years.

Kudos0

Hi Redneckbeer.

I realize that you, like many others, are disappointed with the latest NMS update.  According to what has been reported in another post, apparently quoting a Norton Chat rep, then Norton appear to have recognized that the removal of the manual Auto update button was not a good idea.  However you need to realize that your requirement for them to TEST, TEST, TEST the resulting update presumably means that you do not want to see this update in the next day or two....  So what you want - the testing - may mean you do not get the functionality you want quite as soon as you would like.    

So you may want to move to another product now or give them a little longer.   

Kudos0

Why not do a roll back? How hard is that? I am just curious. The preivious version was fine. To me do a rollback until the new version is fixed and then everyone will be happy. It makes alot of sense to me. However, i am not sure of your capabilities to do this. But, the app is definitely dysfunctional that is for sure.  

Kudos0

Redneckbeer,

LOL! Hey, we're just customers like you...and I'm just providing my feedback as a customer that I like the new app...as well as evidence that, for at least some of us, the new LiveUpdate is working fine. I'm far less concerned with whether that matters to you, than that other users who are genuinely coming here for help aren't misled by your bombast. We've all presented our perspectives and our arguments, so each is free to decide for themselves.

I choose to give Norton the benefit of the doubt until we've actually heard their response!

V/R,

--DistEd2

Kudos0

If there is one positive out of this is that the NMS app update, at least on my phone, is openning and resonding much quicker now. I like the optimization offered from the 'minor code enhancements'. Let's hope for more improvements in the future and return of some lost options.

Kudos0

I've been a Norton's user since approx 1988. I've never had a problem that was not addressed quickly before. However these problems have dragged on for so long it's clear there is a major problem within the development team.  If code was cut from the new update,  why not go to the old code and copy/paste? If your only updating virus definitions and not the programs interface, why so long to fix these problems? Why allow these problems to go on and on with no clear input about the time frame for a fix? 

I'm at the stage I'm now looking for a replacement product for all my platforms (multi home & work PC's & Android devices) because of the time it's taking.  I am seriously considering moving to a new product manufacturer after 25 or 26 years.  Good job people! 

This whole situation has not been handled professionally at all and if I was in charge would be sacking team leaders or project managers over this (not for just the missing Live Update,  the interrupted scanning of SD card,  but for the whole thing).

Norton Customers Service - you have my personal email and I want to be personally updated about this,  so I can make an informed decision to wait for a solution or purchase a new product.