• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos1

FireFox 27.0.1

Is there support for FireFox 27.0.1 yet in NIS2014?

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is!

Replies

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Re: FireFox 27.0.1

Hi,MPSAN.Yes, there is no change to the Toolbar functions.I updated Firefox yesterday, and all working fine.

Windows 7 64 Bit Sp1 Norton Security V 22.1.0.9
Kudos0

Great, Thank You!

Kudos0

No it isn't!  At least not for me, specifically the Norton Toolbar/ID Safe login.  When I installed the FF update I was warned that Norton Toolbar wasn't compatible.  It still isn't,  despite regular checks for Norton updates and looking at Add-ons.  I still get "Norton Toolbar 2014.6.2.3 disabled" and greyed out.  Am I missing something obvious?

Ian

Windows 7 64 bit, Norton 360 Premier Edition, FF 27.0.1

Kudos0

iancol,hi. Try bringing Norton fully up to date,and then do a fresh install of Firefox 27.0.1 rather than updating via the Help tab.

This sometimes helps the toolbar and browser to play well together.

Reboot after and hopefully, the two will work ok !

Kudos0

Hi again, F4E.  Still not working.  I've checked for Norton updates, checked I;ve got the latest version of Norton, uninstalled FF, including personal data (after saving bookmarks and copying the profile folder contents), reinstalled, restored bookmarks and over-copied profile information, so the software looks exactly as it was before uninstall, rebooted, and I still get the incompatibility message.

Anything else I could try?

Thanks,

Ian

Kudos0

Hi, iancol. Not sure if we've covered this before, but have you used the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool ?

This will replace your current install with a clean one, and may well help you with this issue.

http://www.norton.com/nrnr

Kudos0

Hi agin,

That was going to be my next question - surely I don't have to reinstall Norton as well?  Apparently so.  Bugger. 

How on earth can people who can't even find files folders survive this sort of issue?  I regularly have to rescue my wife from far easier situations than this one.

I'll have a go, anyway.  Thanks for the link.

Ian

Kudos0

Well, I went through the motions of reinstalling Norton and the updates ended with the need to apply a patch. Result!

Nope, no change, even after yet another clean install of FF.

Repeated Live Update - another patch!  This must be it.  Nope.

I'd applied FIVE patches with the same result (or one patch five times?) before I had the idea of continuing to check Live Update until there were no more downloads.  Then it worked!  Hoo-bloody-ray!

Thanks for your help.  The lesson I've learned is not to install any FF updates for at least a week after they're announced and then only after a lot of Live Update checks.   Why didn't the patch get downloaded before I reinstalled Norton?

My kids use freeware and are laughing at me.

Kudos3

Hi Ian,

To save yourself the headache, don't update Firefox until AFTER you have received the patch from Norton.

You should change your Firefox settings as below.

And keep an eye open for an announcement that a patch has been released.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Product-Update-Announcements/bg-p/Product_Announcements

Windows 7 x64 SP1 | NSwB 22.1 | MBAM Premium | MBAE Free | HMP.A 2 | SpywareBlaster
Kudos0

Have the updates as suggested.  Have tried all suggestions and still have the wrong lower tool bar that is not compatible and can't get the one that is compatible for Norton 360.  Yesterday a Norton tech said they were working on a patch yet everyone says it has been around since early Feb.  What's the trick to get the correct toolbar patch?????

Kudos0

Have you tried my suggestion in your other post David?

Kudos0

Thanks, Krusty13.  I aready have FF updates set to "Ask me", so all I need to do is check on my newly-bookmarked Announcements page (thanks) before I action it. 

Solved as far as I'm concerned, but others not so lucky?

Thanks again,

Ian

Kudos0

I am glad I started this thread! I have Toolbar version 2014.6.5.1 so should I be OK?

Kudos0

Yes, both ways, first simply re-installed Norton and when that didn't work, uninstalled firefox, reinstalled it and then did the samefor norton.  Still have the lower version toolbarwhich doesn't work.  Need the6.5.1 and keep getting 6.2.3 or close to that.

Kudos0

FYI, I did upgrade to FireFox 27.0.1 and all IS OK.

Kudos0

Managed to get everything fixed once Norton realized the error of their ways and that the Patch simply didn't work and the update to the program fixed the issue.

All of the gyrations caused a crash in my laptop where the machine would not boot and luckily was able to revert the computer to an earlier time so I stopped the live updates and had to reload the Norton 360 which fixed things finally after a lot of concerns.

Norton, you need ot make sure your patches work before announcing that they fix the problem when all they do is crash the computer!!!!

Kudos0

Yes I tried the updates and no luck. So after reading numerous posts on the difficulty of getting the new Norton Toolbar 6.5 to work with the new Firefox 27.0.1, I cheated and went directly to the Norton online chat helpline. Lucky me. I got a knowledgeable techie likely in India who accessed my computer directly thru remote control and proceeded to fix the problem. It took him 20 minutes and many downloaded updates with repeated restarts of the computer until the fix/patch finally worked. No way I could have figured that out. Next time I'm going straight to online help. Worth the wait, I like the new toolbar because it offers easier login features for sites stored on the security vault.

Maybe I should be taking my computer off of automatic update except I want all the security updates applied immediately. The problem with immediately updating new versions of applications, is they have bugs that turn up in the first few weeks. It takes awhile for the tech head programmers to figure out the fix. You do not want to be the Beta tester for that. It is like being the first man out of the trenches in war.

Kudos0

Yes, you were lucky to get someone with knowledge.  First thing I tried the same thing and after this person repeated everything I had already done, decided that the patch had not been released as yet.   Totally untrue and even though she said to wait for a new patch, totally wrong as they put out a total update again.

About fed-up with Norton's almost completely non-customer service!!!!

Kudos1

Hi all,

Having been through this saga one time too many, I created an update routine, which I've posted on the Firefox site for reference:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2805053

Ian

PS - prepare for some Norton-knocking.

Kudos0

While that is a good idea, due to the ineptness of Norton updates, that announcement in the case of 27.0.1 was a bald faced lie!!!  I do exactly what you suggest and did not update Firefox until I viewed the linked website which stated that the patch was complete yet it was almost 3 weeks later when Norton issues a complete update that finally made the norton toolbar compatible with the new Firefox so while the page is an indication, it is not always true that the compatibility is there.

Thanks for the tip however, norton needs to make sure the page is true and not a lie as it was in this case.

Kudos0

Ian,

Appreciate the link to your Norton update routine and the Mozilla Forum. Great forum I was not aware of. Very helpful, and I need all the help I can get.

Kudos0

Thanks, both.  You'll be aware from the linked thread that my defence of Norton wasn't very convincing.  Is it true that Norton do have advance knowledge of FF updates and therefore should be able to avoid what happened?

Ian

Kudos1

Hi iancol,

First of all I would like to know which AV maliz is using - as they call down Norton.  I am not a member of their forum, nor desire to be as FF is a browser I use only for testing with Norton situations.

In regards to some basic information as to what Norton does know and does not know ahead of time when it comes to FF updates.  Of course Norton knows when they are coming - FF publishes a schedule.  Norton has a good idea of what is going to be changed and what Norton has to change as a result of the FF changes.  What Norton does not know and what really throws a monkey wrench into the whole situation is when FF makes a last minute change that causes all the work that Norton has done to make the new FF version computable go by the roadside.  I do believe this happened a few FF updates ago where Norton had to redo a portion of their update due to last minute changes FF made. 

Also users need to remember that once a "fix" is developed, there is extensive testing on many different and varied system configurations that must be accomplished prior to it's release and I hate to say it, but it may not be the most earth shattering problem Norton is working on, so it may not be the absolute top priority.

As I said this is basic info and nothing in depth (nor Official), that type of info would have to come from Norton.  Now you can decide for yourself if Norton can avoid a delay from time to time.

Kudos0

Thanks for all your help Yank.  Perhaps one more help.  Just realized that I lost my internal vault when I deleted Norton and then simply downloade the latest version so know I  need to again delete everything, download the 2012 version and then upgrade to the current in order to keep my local vault.

Now the problem, am currently trying to export my data to a thumb drive and it has been over a half hour yet the Norton says it is downloading and there is a new file on my thumb drive but, with only 4kb of data.  Know I have lots more data and now more than 40 minutes later, still says exporting the data.  Do have an older backup from my local vault but, want the latest data.

Any way to speed this up or stop the seems to be hangup.  Did manage to stop the download once by rebooting my computer but, see no way to stop it or get it to download.  Very frustrating and how can the cloud be so slow.

Thanks in advance,

Kudos0

Hi David,

I just Logged into my Online Vault (I only have 111 log-ins) and did an Export in .csv  - 27 KB which took like 3 seconds and then did an Export in .dat - 279 KB and it took 6 seconds. 

So there appears to be something wrong with your operation.  There isn't a UAC awaiting your permissions or some other option on the USB Drive awaiting your input that may be hidden from view behind the Export screen?  

Perhaps a server problem? 

All I can think of is to reboot and try to get thru the Export again - possibly disconnecting the USB drive and reconnecting prior to trying the Export again.  Also be advised - you will need to Import the .csv format into 2012 - the .dat format from 2014 will not Import into 2012.

Kudos0

Thanks for the suggestions.  No UAC, tried it on two different thumbdrives in two different USB ports and finally after an hour gave up and X'd out the place that said it was downloading and then closed firefox and voila, the data started flowing into the thumb drive and eventually got a screen that said export complete.

Then tried for the CSV file and waited a long time and tried the same ploy and it didn't work so rebooted and the file shows 0 Kb.  Got your kind note and decided to try downloading to my desktop and same problem simply sitting there with 4 Kb in the desktop file and X'ing out the programso far doesn't do a thing as I can close Firefox and reopen it and still says downloading.

Must be a server issue that is storing the download but, not sending to my computer.  Must have the correct file as it is bigger than the file I saved on 2-18.  After awhile will simply end the download the only way I have found and that is a reboot and then go ahead and start the process of Norton 360 2012 then upgrading thus I keep the local vault which after all the trouble still is the best way.  Still will have the cloud if in an emergency I can get back all my logins.

Thanks for all your help.

Kudos0

Hi Yank,

Finally downloaded both the CSV and DAT files after a one hour or so download.  Can't understand the delay and the fact that during the hour, the files both maintained a 4 Kb size until the program told me that it had completed the download and at that time the files contained the complete download.

That being said, I then followed your procedure for getting back the local vault.  When V6 completed download, there was no toolbar in Firefox that would work with my current version so I went into the program itself and tried to login to my vault and it was strictly a cloud vault and I didn't put in my cloud password.  In hindsight, perhaps I should have looked for the toolbar in IE but, not sure that would have helped.   The program did not accept the fact that I have an active account and asked me to renew  my subscription which I did not do   Could not find any way to fully activate V6 even though I have almost 90 days left on my subscription to Norton.

I did continue the process without finding the local vault and now have the latest version with the toolbar working and only able to get to the cloud vault.  Would really like to try again so looking for any suggestions.  I have the downloaded files that I need so should be a much easier process and perhaps going to IE and opening the local vault there might be the solution as can't get the toolbar version with Norton V6 to be compatible.

Thanks again,

Kudos1

Have you run Liveupdate (rebooting when reuqested) until such time as LiveUpdate states "no updates found".  I do belive you will get a patch (or maybe more), but one of them shoulde be for the Norton toolbar Browser add-on - for FF 27.  If you go into FF and look at Add-ons, the NTB extension you desire is  Norton Toolbar2012.5.22.3 and it has to be enabled.  Without that specific extension, FF 27.01 will not have an NTB.

You can try with IE, but not sure that will help you.  I think your best bet right now is to run Liveupdate as suggested above.

I'll be out for about 6 hours or so, but I'll recheck when I get back - if nothing new, I'll catch you tomorrow.

<edit> just to double check - where are you getting "my procedure" from?  Can you provide a link to it so I can double check?

Kudos0

First and best of all I have my local vault back and get a choice of cloud or local when I log in and it is working better than the cloud which at times did not give me choices or open the listing and I firmly believe that to be because of the time although small it takes to download from the cloud vs. coming from my own computer.
Anyway, I got your instructions from the thread Identity Safe  I changed my rom local to cloud can I change back.
Did not need the Firefox Norton toolbar in order to recreate my local vault.  Ended up getting two different tool bars in Firefox, 2014.6.0.27 and 2012.5.6.10 and not the one you specified, 5012.5.22.3
I did need to activate the V6 of Norton in order to make it work.  Even with an active subscription, V6 tried to activate but, couldn't.  I had to go to my Norton Account and find the active Key and copy it and then activate the V6 with this key.  It worked and once activated was able to import my logins into my local vault so that was a great sign.

yank wrote:

Have you run Liveupdate (rebooting when reuqested) until such time as LiveUpdate states "no updates found".  I do belive you will get a patch (or maybe more), but one of them shoulde be for the Norton toolbar Browser add-on - for FF 27.  If you go into FF and look at Add-ons, the NTB extension you desire is  Norton Toolbar2012.5.22.3 and it has to be enabled.  Without that specific extension, FF 27.01 will not have an NTB.

You can try with IE, but not sure that will help you.  I think your best bet right now is to run Liveupdate as suggested above.

I'll be out for about 6 hours or so, but I'll recheck when I get back - if nothing new, I'll catch you tomorrow.

<edit> just to double check - where are you getting "my procedure" from?  Can you provide a link to it so I can double check?

Kudos0

Hi David,

Well it sounds like good news.

In regards to your choice of Local or Online.  Be careful when you open ID Safe as it will ask you if you want to conveert to Online and if you do convert, you will lose your Local Vault.  You should have an option to Keep Both - which I have selected, as I like to have both available for troubleshooting purposes when answering questons on the forums.

I am still curious about the NTB extention in FF 27.0.1.  I assume you have run LiveUpdate until your received the specific words "no updates found".

I'm glad you figured it out and hope you got things working to your satisfaction - if not or if any more questions - you know where to find us.

Kudos0

Regarding the NTB version, it is fine now that I have the latest Norton 360 and the differences were in the 360 V 6 which is not a problem as don't need the toolbar to set up the local vault.  I did that after activating the V 6 and simply set up my local vault and then imported my passcards.

Hope you noted the additions I provided that you really should add to your description of how to go back and pick up the local vault.

As far as your comments about not moving to the cloud vault, let me ask again as don't think you understood my question.  I fully understand the need to not click the change to cloud vault but, want to know if when given a choice during the log in process if I log into the cloud vault, will I next time I log in again get the option for local or cloud.

That is I don't think logging into one or the other of the vaults will remove my ability to get into my local vault.  Please confirm are explain.

Thanks again,

Kudos0

OK David - I now understand the situation in regards to the NTB not being the correct one in V6.

If you deicde to retain both the Local and the Online Vault by slecting KEEP Both, then you will have both (as you know avoid the Merge Option).  I call this the "nag screen", it use to come up all the time, but should in fact disappear once selected, but does reappear (I believe once every 30 days when opening the Local vault) so stay alert for it.

It is OK to log into either vault.  I go from Online to Local Vault a few times a day depending on what troubleshooting (trying to duplicate situations on the forum) I am doing and which Vault the users are talking about.

Logging in and using the Online Vault will not do anything to your Local Vault and vice-versa.  There is however no syncing of the two vaults - the log-ins remain separate and do not sync with each other.  That said I have figured out a way to get them to match - but it is a bit of a long drawn out method.

One thing I noticed is that the Online Vault tends to respond slower than the Local, so I use the Local more than the Online.

In regards to noting your addtions, I have made note of what you said and to be honest, this is the first time I have heard of V6 having to be manually activated (except after something like a reformat, system recovery or the like) by entering the product key.   The only thing I can think of that might be different is because ti was N 360 and it has a Standard and a Premier edition and the keys are not interchangeable?   I do expect feed back from others who are familiar with the revert to the 2012 product.  @peterweb   @Krusty13   

Hope that answers all of your questions - if not we're not going anywhere, you'll know where to find us! 

Kudos0

This message has been moved to a thread of its own.

Replies are locked for this thread.