• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Add Device to Norton Management

Maybe it is something obvious that I am missing but I just reinstalled Norton 360 on my main desktop and I don't see a way to add it to my devices.  It used to be that you could do it through Norton 360 itself but now it takes you to the Norton Management website and seems to want you to download and install through that process.  Why make the process more difficult?  I don't want to have to reinstall again, how do I add my device to Norton Management with an existing install of Norton 360???

Again I may be missing something obvious :)

Bob

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Add Device to Norton Management

Maybe it is something obvious that I am missing but I just reinstalled Norton 360 on my main desktop and I don't see a way to add it to my devices.  It used to be that you could do it through Norton 360 itself but now it takes you to the Norton Management website and seems to want you to download and install through that process.  Why make the process more difficult?  I don't want to have to reinstall again, how do I add my device to Norton Management with an existing install of Norton 360???

Again I may be missing something obvious :)

Bob

Kudos0

Hi rstaaf,

It sounds like you tried to "Add Device while on the desktop that you just installed N 360 on - so that blew away my first suggestion to try to add device while on the desktop you desire to add.

Did you register/activate the copy of N 360 you reinstalled and does it show in your Norton Account?

Also telling us the operating system may also help as well as the version of N 360 (Support > About) and also have you run LiveUpdate (rebooting when requested) until such time as LiveUpdate responds with "no updates found".

Also a reboot (complete shut down) helps sometimes.

Kudos0

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, my copy is registered and activated and shows up in my Norton Account.

Didn't mention the operating system as this seems to be a shortcoming of the Norton Management site...

Anyway the OS is Windows 7 and I am running version 21.1.0.18 of Norton 360 and it is fully updated and the machine has been restarted when requested...

Kudos0

try turning on norton management under settings, then device administrator. That is what I had to do but I am also trying to figure out my wifes concerning this issue here is the link to that post

http://community.norton.com/t5/Other-Norton-Products/manage-norton-com/td-p/1094451

Kudos1

Hi rstaaf,

The setting you need to turn on is found in Settings > Administrative Settings > Remote Management to On > Apply.

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 x2 *** Norton 360 v21.6.0.32 *** Norton Security with Backup v22.0.2.17
Kudos0

Thanks guys, I had tried this before but I was getting an error that it was unable to retrieve my Norton Account.

I believe this is intended to be initiated from the website.  Seems an unnecesary complication to me.

I currently have 6 machines running Norton 360 and it was nice being able to see when one of them needed attention.

Seems lately though I am getting far to many false error reports than ever. Makes it more trouble than it is worth.

I am probably going to just disable Remote Management on all of my machines and forget about this issue.

Kudos0

Hi rstaaf,

I just tried in my machine, it is working properly.

1) I have Norton 360 trial product

2) I Activated with Norton360 key

3) Logged in with email address in the main ui (used the same email address which i used for registering the above Norton360 key)

4) Clicked Manage Now button in the Norton 360 UI

5) I am able see my product listed in 'My Devices'

One Question-

Did you sign-in with the same email address which you used for registering the Norton360 key?

Also as Krusty13 suggested turn on Management in Norton 360

Settings > Administrative Settings > Remote Management to On > Apply.

Please turn back for more assistance

Come back if you require more. Happy to Help
Kudos0

Thanks for the reply.  Believe me guys, I know how to enable this.  I have been running Norton 360 since it came out and in fact have been a Norton user since it was Norton before Symantec.  I run Norton 360 on 6 machines.  I have gone through the process and it plain doesn't work.  When Norton 360 came out the process was all done within the Norton 360 interface, you would go to Manage and within the interface you would log into your Norton Account.  Somewhere along the way they changed it to where Manage takes you to your Norton Account website.  That process is convoluted and unreliable and has been for quite some time.  I am not the only one who continually gets the message "Unable to retrieve your Norton Account" when trying to turn on Remote Management.

No need to continue this thread.  I have just accepted that this process is broken and I refuse to spend any more time trying to get it to work :(

Accepted Solution
Kudos1

Well guys, stumbled on a solution that worked for the two machines I was getting the "Unable to retrieve your Norton Account" message on when I was trying to enable Remote Management.

I logged into the Norton Management website, went to Account and under Account chose Products.

Under the license for the machines in question I deletted them by clicking on the trash can.

Now, I waited for Norton 360 on the machines in question to pop up the message asking for a license key.

I entered the key, let it activate and immediately went into Settings > Administrative Settings and enabled Remote Management and this time it worked on both machines...

The process needs work, as I stated before it is convoluted and unreliable.  I should not have had to spend the hours it took to get it working. 

Thanks to everyone who took time to reply...

Bob

Kudos0

Hi Bob,

Glad you got it sorted, although I don't completely undestand why you had to remove the license and then re-enter the key to get Remote Management enabled.  Only thing I can guess at would be that somehow your key info/licene info got corrupted somehow and deleting it and re-inputting it cleared it up???  Sounds almost like something went astray when it was activated on the reinstall?

Replies are locked for this thread.