• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Problem following Chrome's Update today

Chrome updated itself today to version “33.0.1750.117 m”.  Now every time I open it, I get a message that points to Norton’s icon and says I must “Disable developer mode extensions”.  Chrome is my primary browser, but I won't use it without the Identity Protection.  Firefox uses the same version of Norton's extension, but doesn't have this problem.   

Is this happening to anyone else?

NS 22.x, Win8.1 (x64), Firefox, Chrome, Malwarebytes (FREE)

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Problem following Chrome's Update today

Chrome updated itself today to version “33.0.1750.117 m”.  Now every time I open it, I get a message that points to Norton’s icon and says I must “Disable developer mode extensions”.  Chrome is my primary browser, but I won't use it without the Identity Protection.  Firefox uses the same version of Norton's extension, but doesn't have this problem.   

Is this happening to anyone else?

Accepted Solution
Kudos2

Hi, KBPrez. Google has been causing plenty of problems, because of the way it now handles 3rd party extensions.

If you wish to retain the Norton Toolbar,  I'd suggest you ignore Google's warning........

I've avoided compatibility problems with Chrome by downloading the full update install, rather than using the in browser option.

Windows 7 64 Bit Sp1 NSwB V 22.0.2.17 Laptop----NIS V 21.6.0.32 Desktop
Kudos0

Hi,

I have not updated to the latest version of Chrome (but used it for over 2 years).   Their last update came automatically to by Browser and I was surprised, so this latest one will show up in a few days.   Still on 32.0.1700.107m

I have had other problems with Chrome and NIS (reported in other postings), but with your reply - are you suggesting that we download and install Chrome - again - as a full install, rather than just the updates - from the Menu - About Google Chrome - where it looks for any updates and installs them...

This would give us a clean - fresh install (right up to date) -- similar to doing the same with NIS - if we were having problems, as per many suggestions on this Forum.   

Are you aware that this clean install of Chrome would be better suited to work with the lastest NIS - and NO - I do not have the newest version - still on 21.1.0.18

Just would not want to have to do a complete re-install of Chrome - every time there is a problem between the two systems.

Thanks,

Fred

Kudos0

Hi, Fred. I wish I had a definitive answer. The problem is as with Firefox, that Norton is dealing with open source developers.

I'm just saying it's what worked for me, and I'm not saying it's ideal.

As I said previously Google is seemingly trying to operate its extensions provisions, similar to the way Google Play operates.

Kudos1

Hi,

The problem is now though that Chrome updates silently in the background, and can and does happen while you're away from your computer.  I have not got Chrome installed anymore, but last I looked there was no way to check for updates but choose when to install them.  Firefox at least does have that option.

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 x2 *** Norton 360 v21.6.0.32 *** Norton Security with Backup v22.0.2.17
Kudos0

Agreed, Krusty. For that reason amongst others, Chrome is off my machine.

Frankly, it's not worth the hassles.

Kudos0

Hi,

Thank you for all your answers...

I have used Chrome for a few years now ---  did not like IE back then, but not sure now.   It is on my computer (Toshiba laptop - Vista - Ser pk 2) and have all the regular MS updates....IE Ver 9 (9.0.8112.16421)  update ver 9.0.24

I know there is a Ver 10, but never paid any attention to it.

Not really looked at it for years, so not sure about settings, etc. and when I installed NIS for the first time in Dec 2012, was using Chrome, so never looked in IE - but will look into it and see....  I have the online NIS manual and will read a bit.   Still COLD here in Winnipeg, MB - so inside reading between shoveling snow - OK

Again, thanks to everyone.

Fred Walker

Kudos0

F4E wrote:

Hi, KBPrez.  Google has been causing plenty of problems, because of the way it now handles 3rd party extensions.

If you wish to retain the Norton Toolbar,  I'd suggest you ignore Google's warning........

I've avoided compatibility problems with Chrome by downloading the full update install, rather than using the in browser option.

Hi F4e.   Firefox was my primary browser for a long time.  I switched to Chrome because Firefox was crashing too often under Win8.  I'll try a full reinstall of Chrome and see if that solves the problem.  Thanks for your help!  

Kudos0

F4E wrote:

Hi, KBPrez. Google has been causing plenty of problems, because of the way it now handles 3rd party extensions.

Hi F4E.  I took your suggestion and reinstalled Chrome.  The message is gone and Chrome is working fine now. Thanks again for your help!

Kudos0

Hi, KBPrez. Glad to hear you got a good result. Cheers.

Replies are locked for this thread.