• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos6

MBAM 2.0 released!

Windows 7 x64 SP1 | NSwB 22.1 | MBAM Premium | MBAE Free | HMP.A 2 | SpywareBlaster

Replies

Kudos0

Re: MBAM 2.0 released!

Windows 7 x64 SP1 | NSwB 22.1 | MBAM Premium | MBAE Free | HMP.A 2 | SpywareBlaster
Kudos4

Thanks Krusty!    here is the change log

What's new in Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0:

• Completely redesigned user interface to make the product easier to use, more informative, and providing quicker access to key functionality
  • Quick Scan has been renamed to Threat Scan, our recommended scan type
  • Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit integrated into the scanner (available under Detection Settings)
  • Malwarebytes Chameleon driver integrated to provide self-protection for the Premium version (available under Advanced Settings)
  • Enhanced version of Malicious Website Protection for Windows Vista SP2 and above (better performance, added ability to exclude processes such as BitTorrent clients from Malicious Website Protection, ability to manually exclude IP addresses and individual URLs/websites by domain name)
  • Native x64 system location scanning, detection and malware removal
  • Substantial improvements to core detection and removal technology
  • Performance issues when streaming audio on Vista SP2 and newer when using Malicious Website Protection should now be resolved.
Kudos0

I've just downloaded and am running the Free version -- Note that it specifically suggests on the Installation Screen that one disables AV and Firewall while installing .....

It's a bit garish compared with before and much more complex -- could do with a Windows 8 style guide to how to understand it!

One thing I've found and don't know if there's a setting for it yet since it's running it's initial Never been run scan is that if you minimize it it does not minimize to the task bar. It disappears completely but if I click on Start there's what looks like a Menu entry and that brings it back to visible on screen.

It doesn't seem to have put an icon on the desktop either although I left that checked to be done ....

Hugh
Kudos0

↑ Thanks for the link and changelog info.  I got in on the lifetime license with the earlier version by a few hours this morning for my Mom's XP PC.

Kudos0

Hugh,

You can close MBAM and the scan keep running now... Or it did for me when I accidentally closed it.

Kudos0

Yes, that's how I found the START Entry.

But I've found the Desktop shortcut Icon which triggered the memory I have to drag and drop that on the task bar in Windows 7 in order to get a shortcut there and, I think, have it minimze to the Task Bar .....

More later.

Hugh
Kudos0

I'm running a custom scan on drive C on my desktop, and a Threat Aka Quick Scan on my laptop. Both are painfully slow.

The desktop scan has been running for 1hr 18 minutes, and counting...............

Windows 7 64 Bit Sp1 Norton Security V 22.1.0.9
Kudos0

Hi F4E,

They've changed the name of the scans, so the Custom Scan is now the Full system scan, and as you've noticed, the Threat Scan is now the so called quick scan, but the Theat Scan took about half an hour on my machines. 

Back to v1.75 and running as per normal for me. 

Kudos0

Me, too. Back to v 1.75 on both my machines. MBytes have some work to do..............

Kudos0

F4E & Krusty13

Thanks for the early info about V2.  I disabled the auto-version update on my 2 PC's for now.

After checking in over at the MBAM Forum this morning, there's a number of issues being reported about V2.  They'll get it all sorted out in time.

Kudos2

Been using MBAM 2 Beta for about 6 weeks and the RC-1 (which is also the Final) for 2 weeks with no show stoppers on both my Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 systems. Some minor problems but mostly just cosmetic. My scan times have been 2 min on Hyper Scan and 10 min on Threat Scan with Rootkit enabled. The main bug I have seen is with Rootkit enabled on the Custom Scan when scanning the entire drive it will hang. I do run Rootkit enabled on Hyper and Threat scans with no problem. Here is a link to the Guide for MBAM 2.0

http://www.malwarebytes.org/support/guides/mbam/

Jim 

Kudos0

<<  My scan times have been 2 min on Hyper Scan and 10 min on Threat Scan with Rootkit enabled  >>

But Threat Scan is supposed to be just a name change for Quick Scan .......

Quick Scan has been renamed to Threat Scan, our recommended scan type

So what's Hyper Scan and why is it quicker than Quick Scan which has slowed down?

Hugh
Kudos0

Hi huwyngr:

According to the Scan section at http://www.malwarebytes.org/support/guides/mbam/, a Threat Scan (a.k.a. Quick Scan in MBAM v. 1.75) will scan in the following areas:

• Memory Objects: Memory which has been allocated by operating system processes, drivers, and other applications.
  • Startup Objects: Executable files and/or modifications which will be initiated at computer startup.
  • Registry Objects: Configuration changes which may have been made to the Windows registry.
  • Filesystem Objects: Files stored on your computer's local disk drives which may contain malicious programs or code snippets.

A Hyper Scan (a.k.a. Flash Scan in MBAM PRO v. 1.75) only scans the first two areas - Memory Objects and Startup Objects - to look for immediate (active) threats.

A list of Known Issues in for Release Candidate 1, build 2.00.0.1000 (updated 10-March-2014), which I believe is the same build released to the public on 24-Mar-2014, is posted here.

------------
MS Windows 32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox 28.0 * IE 9.0 * NIS 2013 v. 20.4.0.40 * MBAM PRO 1.75.0.1300
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Kudos0

Still doesn't explain the 5X time increase on what they say is a rename.

We may see complaints about this one since in the past people have always blamed Norton for context menu failures!

<<  Right-click 'Scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware' context menu item in Explorer is disabled by default. It may be enabled via the option under "General Settings" >>

Hugh
Kudos0

Hi, Just an FYI - Flash Scans (v1.75) are only available to PRO users, but I can't comment on the Free or Premium version on v2.0. Cheers!
Kudos0

Hello

My threat scan that I have run twice so far (once each day) on my win 7 pro 64 bit ran very fast. I think it was done iin like 3 or 4 minutes and that was with rootkit enabled. Of course this is with the free version. I always ran the full scan on the old version which didn't take too long. But I just learned that the full scan is now called the custom scan which explains why I didn't see a full scan on the program. I will try that one tomorrow.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.
Kudos1

huwyngr wrote:

Still doesn't explain the 5X time increase on what they say is a rename.

Hi huwyngr:

MBAM v. 2.0 users posting in the MBAM forum about slow Threat Scans (known as Quick Scans in v. 1.75) are being asked to provide diagnostic logs (see Dch48's post here for one example) so it sounds like MBAM v. 2.0 is still a work in progress.

I think Malwarebytes has damaged their brand by posting RC-1, build 2.00.0.1000 (the same release candidate used in the final weeks of beta testing) for wide release before they addressed more of the known bugs listed here.  It sounds like Malwarebytes is switching to their new annual subscription pricing model some time this weekend and I'm hoping a new build will be released soon after that.

------------
MS Windows 32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox 28.0 * IE 9.0 * NIS 2013 v. 20.4.0.40 * MBAM PRO 1.75.0.1300
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Kudos0

I'll check that out since I was planning on posting the images I have of the screen with defects.

Hugh
Kudos2

MBAM 2 is about to receive it's first update.  Please refer to the second post on this page by the developer, Marcin (RubbeR DuckY).

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=144799&page=8

This post suggests it could be sooner than later.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2357658&postcount=299

Kudos1

MBAM 2 just auto-updated to 2.0.1.1004 on my two systems.

Here is the changes.

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=145758

Kudos1

Quote for the Mbam announcement thread.

In about 2-3 weeks we're going to release yet another patch that will fix about ~30 bugs that have been reported or we've discovered. We wanted to make sure the UI issues were addressed first since we had some really great feedback from everyone.

Jim

Kudos0

I just downloaded version 2.0.1, and the Threat Scan took 13 mins and 3 seconds. Still miles slower than version 1.75, although I assume it's now more thorough ?  Atm it's a keeper, but we'll see..........        

Kudos0

Here's the changelog for v 2.0.1

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0.1.1004 (Released April 4, 2014)

Improvements:

1. Database is now updated automatically after installation
  2. Notifications are no longer displayed if the Dashboard is in focus to reduce redundant information
  3. Significantly reduced the size of all tray notifications
  4. Reduced the intensity of the colors used for tray notifications and status banners in the Dashboard
  5. Database out of date and scan has never been run notifications now reduced in severity to orange instead of red

Issues Fixed:

1. All scheduled scans should now run without popping up the main UI so that users are not interrupted
Kudos0

Kudos0

Mine's easier to read, Krusty !...............

Kudos1

Disabling the rootkit scan in the Threat Scan as suggested by MalwarBytes forum staff for a normal daily scan, the scan time came down from 13 mins to 6.09.          I can live with that.

According to them, the scanner is much improved.....

Kudos0

I don't know how often you run scans with MBAM, but because I'm using the Premium version I've got a Threat Scan scheduled to run once a day and aThreat Scan with Rootkit Scan scheduled to run once a week.

I'm sure as each new version is released some bugs will be fixed and performance increased.

Kudos2

Thought I'd change the subject .....

If people start by replying to this they will inherit the changed Subject but even a moderator's change does not get inherited by all messages unfortunately.

Hugh
Kudos0

Possibly a silly question, but scans are still effective if I stay with version 1.75 for the time being, right?
Kudos3

Hi roane:

Yes, Malwarebytes is still supporting MBAM v.1.75 - see the heading titled Will you continue supporting my Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.75? in the support article here.  I understand that v. 1.75 will be fully supported for at least one year from the release of v. 2.0, but I can't recall the KB article where I read that.

MBAM v. 1.75 does not have any unpatched security risks (Secunia currently reports 0 known vulnerabilites for MBAM 1.x here) so there's no risk to you if you want to keep v. 1.75 and wait until Malwarebytes has fixed some of the minor bugs in MBAM v. 2.0 that were identified after its initial release.

If you're using the free version of MBAM the major change in v. 2.0, besides the re-designed interface, is that the Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit scanner that is available as a separate download for v. 1.75 users (and is similar in function to the Norton Power Eraser rootkit scanner) now comes bundled with the free MBAM v. 2.0.

-----------

Kudos0

Thank you so much, lmacri!
Kudos2

I read on another site where a MBAM manager was testing ver 2.0.2.1005 and said scan times were inproved and the hangs were greatly reduced. They are also testing newer internal versions with more fixes. It shoud not be long before we get an improved version.

Jim

Kudos1

Upcoming issues fixed for MBAM v. 2.0.2 (currently in beta) are listed here.

-----------