• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

How to get rid of annoying AD POP UPS each time I navigate over a link or navigate to another page?

I checked my N360 and can't find how to get rid of 5 ad sites that seem to have infected my Chrome and IE8 browser:

Jumpflip,  Freetwittube, Blinkx.com, Easyinline.com and IMVU.com.   It's extremely annoying as this is interrupts web info being enter on-line for anything, including medical purchases.    I ran the Norton Power Eraser on my disk, rebooted, and had absolutely no relief.  

Does anyone know how I can get rid of these apps???

Replies

Kudos0

Re: How to get rid of annoying AD POP UPS each time I navigate over a link or navigate to another page?

Hi djnash and welcome!
You may have picked up these PUPs (potentially unwanted programs) from being bundled in some things you may have downloaded. Norton does not look for these because although they are annoying they are not considered malicious. Norton focuses more on malware that can't harm and damage your computer. You could try running a full scan with MalwareBytes free it usually does a good job and gets rid of these only use the free version because be pro version has real time protection. If this doesn't work we can redirect you to some free malware removal sites.

Please get back to us..
Regards
Kudos0

Re: How to get rid of annoying AD POP UPS each time I navigate over a link or navigate to another page?

Now there's a great feature request for future Norton versions, an optional scan setting to handle PUPs.

Kudos0

Hi scree
Yes It would be nice to have Norton doing this optional scan but If they can't damage your system they're not always bad but just more annoying then anything. And some users may want what these 'PUP's' offer whether it's a tool bar or whatever! But for now I see a lot of people running MalwareBytes Free as a wingman along side Norton just for backup. But whatever floats your boat I suppose!

Cheers!
Kudos0

True, there are a lot of things people consider PUPs but that are completely safe (and some even useful!).  But like life, it's always good to have options, right? :)   Such a scan setting would of course be off by default (just like the PUP setting avast! has, for example).  So, all I'm saying it's just another feature Norton could add to make it even better.  But as noted, there's always MalwareBytes Free as a good addition to any protection product.

Kudos0

Hi scree
I didn't realise avast had PUP scans! Thanks for letting me know! And yes I do hope they eventually add this setting to Norton because then in my opinion Norton would be my favourite AV which I've used!

Thanks a lot!
Kudos0

Hi, djnash. As the others have mentioned, MalwareBytes Free should rid you of these nasties.

Make sure you run a full scan, which will take somewhat longer but is more thorough.

In the event MBytes can't clean everything, I suggest you try one of the free malware sites listed below, and stay with the one expert until your system is clean.    Hopefully, you won't need to do this.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com
http://forums.whatthetech.com/
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/

Windows 7 64 Bit Sp1 NSwB V 22.0.2.17 Laptop----NIS V 21.6.0.32 Desktop
Kudos0

I got rid of IE and stopped having so many ad pop-up issues. I use Mozilla Firefox now and like it much better- also sped up my computer.

Kudos0

" I got rid of IE and stopped having so many ad pop-up issues. I use Mozilla Firefox now and like it much better- also sped up my computer"

Well that's interesting, I didn't know that Mozilla FF had some kind of boost engine for the Operating System... LOL!

Regards,

Replies are locked for this thread.