Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Contributor
DerekJJ

360 Patch

[ Edited ]

I have this morning received a 'patch' through Liveupdate. It has not changed the version number. Does anyone know what it is for?

360 Version: 20.2.0.19

Norton Fighter
Krusty13

Re: 360 Patch

Hi Derek,

I haven't received any patches yet, but it might be an update for the Firefox toolbar.  Firefox 17 is due for release on November 20.

Cheers,

Dave

W W W  =  Wild Wild West.    Be careful out there!

Regular Contributor
DerekJJ

Hi Dave,

You were right, tks.

Derek

Footsie
Topics: 31
Kudos: 19
Solutions: 2

I noticed on the last page of the Patch Update there was a button in the lower right corner ...instead of saying 'Finish" it said 'Explore' so I clicked it thinking it was information on the patch I had just applied but...nothing happened. Also, after the patch 'reloaded' my applications, it failed to restart the norton icon on my taskbar. I attempted to activate my Norton 360 by double clicking the desktop shortcut icon but again, nothing happened. I had to restart my computer in order to automatically load Norton 360 at Startup. After that it was fine but I still can't find any information on exactly what the patch was patching lol...will keep an eye on this to see if anybody can lend a hand on this....

peterweb
Kudos: 1,360
Solutions: 340

Footsie wrote:

I noticed on the last page of the Patch Update there was a button in the lower right corner ...instead of saying 'Finish" it said 'Explore' so I clicked it thinking it was information on the patch I had just applied but...nothing happened. Also, after the patch 'reloaded' my applications, it failed to restart the norton icon on my taskbar. I attempted to activate my Norton 360 by double clicking the desktop shortcut icon but again, nothing happened. I had to restart my computer in order to automatically load Norton 360 at Startup. After that it was fine but I still can't find any information on exactly what the patch was patching lol...will keep an eye on this to see if anybody can lend a hand on this....

Check your version number. Support - About.

It sounds like you may have just upgraded from V6 to the new 2013 version. If your version is 20.x.x.x, this is what has happened.

You should run LiveUpdate manually a few times, rebooting as necessary, until no updates are available, to make sure you have all the updates to the new version.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
yank
Kudos: 2,148
Solutions: 501

[ Edited ]

Footsie wrote:

Hi Footsie,

I experienced the exact same situation when I clicked on Explore after I selected to Apply the update.   I also had the REDX on my sytem tray icon.  

I unsuccessfully attempted to restart NIS via the System Tray Icon as well as the Desktop Shortcut.  I did not check - but assumed from past experiences that ccsvchst.exe had crashed and that a system restart was required to start it and get my System Tray Icon back to the Green Check Mark.

After the restart all was fine.

Earlier this AM I ran LiveUpdate when I booted up mny other Win 7 system running Nortons Security suite (Comcast's version of N 360).  I received the same updates and the request to Apply the FF17 NTB patch.  I selected Apply, it rn the Ptach and when I got the Explore button, clicked on it and it open my NSS to the main page as I expected it to.

Comparing the two scenarios, I noted the following diference:

On the NIS system that had to be restarted, after clicking to Apply the Patch, it began to run then stopped and asked me to close Internet Explorer before it continued.  I closed IE and the Patch began to run again and completed.  I then got the Explore button and you know the rest of the story.

On the NSS system, I did not have IE, nor any othr programs opened, the Patch starteed and ran thru to completion and clicking the Explore gavethe desired results.

If anyone else who encounters this Explore doesn't work and you have to restart situation cuold you please let us know if you had IE (or perhaps anothr browser ) open when it did it?

<EDIT>  My NSS and NIS are version 20.2.0.19 <EDIT>

Regular Contributor
rick_s

I had the EXACT same issue - "red x" and all. could not open n360 til restarted machine.  IE was closed prior to applying the patch.  as soon as the "install" finished, clicked the "exlpore" button...and nothing. then noticed the little x in the system tray.  this morning all seems fine. also no change in version number.

Tony_Weiss
Topics: 572
Kudos: 2,043
Solutions: 319

That sounds like an odd issue. I've sent you a request for logs, please let me know if you're able to gather them.

Also, if someone sees this, can you take a screenshot of it? That would be very helpful. I know it's difficult, since you want that Red X to go away. But if it's possible please post a screenshot here. Thanks.

Tony Weiss
Norton Forums Global Community Manager
Symantec Corporation
peterweb
Kudos: 1,360
Solutions: 340

I had an error when I restarted my computer this morning but I could not say for sure what may have caused it. At the time I was also installing Norton Utilities and that was the reason for the restart. I initally thought it may have had something to do with the installer for NU and my NIS 2013 getting confused at startup.

I just restarted again and all was well. Even before the second restart, NIS seemed to be fully functional.

NIS error.PNG

Tony...If you need more please contact me.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Footsie
Topics: 31
Kudos: 19
Solutions: 2

Hi! am glad everything worked out...I've been waiting for some information on the Patch to be added to the search engine so I can know more about it but so far everything is running fine and dandy...after I rebooted, everything loaded properly. First thing I did was a tuneup then I ran a full system scan. Showed 2 threats (probably tracking cookies, I didn't investigate because Norton had taken care of them) Everything checks out good. I did notice a new issue with the recent windows updates...my explorer browser is slower and I sometimes have to refresh the page in order to have link access (but that's for another forum) lol.

take care now,

Footsie