07-19-2011 01:28 PM
what i thought was a trusted game i installed shut down 360, wont start up but for the one click support and it says error in the virus defs, hate to reinstall everything again but i thought id talk to you guys first.
its got an error 8504,101
Solved! Go to Solution.
07-19-2011 01:36 PM
Do you have the name of application you installed
- Try some of these and see what happens
- Check if there is any other security software on your computer, post a screenshot of add remove programs here
- run a chkdsk and see if there is any errors in the filesystem
- Post some details like what is the version of Norton your using what is the OS version, Computer specs etc.
07-19-2011 02:01 PM
Do you have any other Antivirus or Firewall programs installed?
Run a scan using the Norton Power Eraser tool. It will find if your computer is infected. You can find the steps in the following Support article:
07-19-2011 06:04 PM
ill try the power eraser tool, ran the tool acted like it was, tried to run it again said not a valid win 32 file, down loaded the file again to a diffewrent folder and tried to run it and instantly said not a valid file,
norten 360 5.0
theres no other security software, i got rid of the file's when things didn't look right, not an expected install should look like, disapered into the background, got a bad feeling and tried to run a virus scan but to late, did a hard reboot no luck, looked for any installed programs that ive not seen before, no luck.
07-19-2011 06:13 PM
oops didnt finish that, it looked like the tool was going to install but stopped and that was it, trying to run it again just said that it wasnt a valid win 32 file, so something is very active in not letting anything norten from running.
07-19-2011 09:41 PM
Hmmm It seems that there is a problem with file association, try the following
- Turn off the computer
- Turn it back on and keep tapping F8
- You will get advace boot options, select safemode with networking and see if it loads
- If it does run scan using Norton.
- If norton doesnt launch use norton disk to boot the computer and run a scan
- If you dont have the disk download Norton bootable recovery tool from
- Burn that to a CD from Different computer and boot this computer and run a scan
- Let us know the results.
07-19-2011 11:00 PM
first a problem that has me stumped, downloading the power eraser file i was only getting half or better of the file, (NPE.exe) and the one download of it started up as i had said done, a program is using this part of a file and i cant delete it, even after a restart, ive restarted in safe mode and the rest of the modes and cant force a delete and i cant find the program thats using that file but it must be a norten program, a crupt file that went waky on me.
07-20-2011 05:03 AM
It seems the file itself is corrupt, run a chkdsk and see what happens
1. open command promt (Start > Run > Cmd)
2. in command prompt type chkdsk /f /r /x
3. it will ask you to schedule it type yes and then restart the computer
4. wait for chkdsk to complete
5. then see what it says
07-20-2011 03:46 PM
that was madning but i finaly got rid of that file, downloaded the "Bootable recovery tool " making a disk now with the program. ill post results later, still have a feeling ill have to reinstall norten 360 tho,
07-20-2011 09:28 PM
well that was all for nothen, (im on dial up) 16 hrs to get the recovery tool, then the program downloads the updates, 5 hrs and 25 % done and it fails on me, to me the first file should have had some of the updates already in it, oh well, uninstall/reinstall time.