05-10-2008 04:30 PM
I just upgraded from 360 v1 to 360 v2.
Following installation of the addon, I stopped sending or receiving email from pop and smtp servers (mapi still works).
If I reboot, I get access for a few minutes, then lose it again.
Unlike NIS products, stopping antivirus autoscan and restarting it seems to have no effect.
Uninstalled the addon and reinstalled...same symptoms.
I have uninstalled the addon and email works again, but there are some features there I'd like.
Of course, the CHAT support says it can't be a Norton problem.....
Any insights from the group would be appeciated.
Thanks in advance
05-12-2008 02:52 PM
In addition to removing through SymNRT, I'd also ensure that you have removed (if installed) the V1 Add-On pack. From first blush, the actual problem looks like the Add-On pack may not have uninstalled cleanly.
If the problem returns after reinstalling, search your system for asoehook.dll and find it, try renaming and see if it fixes the problem with email.
05-13-2008 06:55 AM
Thanks for the input.
No Dice, same syptoms as before.
I found two copies of asoehook.dll; renamed both.
Now I have issues with ccsvchst.exe error during shut down and a couple of others....
BUT on another issue, I was unable to install XP SP3 before even tho I had completely disabled everything in 360. Stallled during post install processes. Of my 4 household computers, the ones with 360 v1 upgraded fine (after disable), the two with v2 stopped at the same place.
Decided to try after the uninstall of 360, and it worked.
Maybe Matt can look into this and post it where it can do the most good.
Still looking for a little solution here tho.
05-13-2008 02:06 PM
So we still have ccApp hanging on shutdown - which I'm going to put that one aside for the moment as there are enough other variables in play to suggest that this might be collateral to the email issue.
On the email issue, did you reinstall the Add-On Pack? If so, let's uninstall it and see if that eliminates the sending/receiving email issue - if the problem persists after that and there are no versions of asoehook.dll, then we know we have something different that we are dealing with.
On the SP3 issue, my understanding is that you were only able successfully upgrade after disabling V1 and that V2 had to be completely removed before SP3 could be successfully applied. If that is correct, do you have any additional details about where the failure occurred in the SP3 installation?
05-13-2008 02:59 PM
Perhaps I misunderstood. I renamed the asoehook.dll files that I found prior to installation. The addon to v2 puts one in (so I thought it couldn't be the v1 uninstall issue you referred to). I have tried to rename it, but could not because it was "in use" or restricted. (Outlook was not in use; I am the administrator)
Is there a way to disable it? Perhaps if I try renaming it prior to the installation restart? Are the other asoehook.* files to be renamed as well? I did not.
I uninstalled the addon and email works again.
My last install, I selected the option to not integrate with Outlook, but that did not allow me email access to the POP or SMTP servers.
I have checked "allow" for Outlook and MSIE in the firewall settings.
On the SP3 issue. According to the installation log, the hang always occurred (in both machines) during the running of "shmgrate.exe AddConfigurePrograms". The dialog box displays something to the effect of "Running after install processes". I did request help from Redmond, they said they would answer within 24 hours (but that was two days ago) before I tried the removal of V2 prior to install.
I noted at least one entry in their newgroup describing the same issue, but did not refer to 360 v2. No responses.
Thanks again for your attention to this matter.
05-13-2008 03:50 PM
I believe we'll need to disable the protection service in order to be able to rename that file. This setting is found under the Quick Controls / SymProtect. Try disabling that, renaming the file, then restoring it.
On the email issue - it sounds like you needed to change the default "Auto" setting in the firewall program control settings to "Allow" - sorry to be repetitive, but I wasn't certain if that is what you are confirming.
The information on the SP3 failed install is invaluable - I've capture that information and passed it along.
05-13-2008 03:59 PM
Hello again - I had a thought that process protection might also be a factor in the failed SP3 application. If you end up doing that again, try disabling it prior to applying SP3.