Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
hillsmi

360 won't open from the icon, or start menu

[ Edited ]

Recent purchase and activation of 360.  For some reason, the pgm won't open from the desktop icon or from the Start Menu.  If I choose certain Norton tasks from the Taskbar in the lower right near the clock, they will run, but the main pgm won't open.

I've tried the reboot suggestion, and if I attempt to open 360 just after a reboot, it will open very quickly, but then closes, and I can't open it again by just casually clicking from the desktop or Start menu.

I have tried uninstalling using the Norton uninstaller; after a complete uninstall, and a reinstall of 360, I can only click the desktop icon once...the application opens and closes in a 'flash.'  I am able to pick the individual tasks from under the main 360 application out of the Start Menu, or from the Taskbar, but, still unable to open the main pgm 360 from Start menu or desktop icon.

Any ideas?

Anyone else have issues not being able to open 360 after the install?

Thank you

yank
Kudos: 2,249
Solutions: 512

Re: 360 won't open from the icon, or start menu

Hi hillsmi,

From the system tray iocon, please try to run Get Support and let us knwo what the resutls are.

Also if you can, run LiveUpdate from the system tray icon and reboot if requested and run LiveUpdate until it reponds "no updates found".

Did you have any antivirus program insatlled on the system prior to the initial install of Norton?  If so, what was it and did you use the removal tool for that product (over and above Norton removing it) prior to installing Norton?

We'll be waiting on your responses.

Contributor
hillsmi

Yes, I did run Support from the system tray Icon, and the results were basically clean, without any problems reported.  I was directed to the uninstall program, which I did, and re-d/l and installed.

And yes, I have been able to run Live Update, only from right-clicking from the Sys Tray icon, or the sub-menu from the Start Menu, and yes, everything is up-to-date.

To my knowledge, there are no other active AV programs, once I installed Norton, I rid the system of the priors.

The system has been rebooted, and all seems to be clean and up-to-date, but as previously stated, when I try to activate 360 from the desktop icon, or through the Start Menu, the pgm will not come up.  I can only use the limited sub-programs via the System Tray, or the Start Menu; the main pgm will not start.

yank

Hi hillsmi,

Thanks for the addtional information. 

I am curious which Version of N360 you are running.  Standard or Premiere and also the Version #.  It willbe difficult to tell the version number unless we know more about the installation.  Was it downloaded from Norton store, (or perhaps AMAZON) or was it purchased on a CD?  One thing you can try is via the System Tray Icon , select Check for New Version.  If there is one available, it will update to it and may even cler up you situation.

Please try that and post back.

Also please go to the Control Panel and see if there are any other security prograsm remainin besides Norton.  Also tell us which AV program (s) you had installed in the past - even if you "rid the system of the priors".  It is possible some remants are conflicting with Norton.

We'll be awaiting your responses. 

peterweb
Kudos: 1,462
Solutions: 366

[ Edited ]

Posted in error.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Contributor
hillsmi

Yes, 360 was d/l from the Norton store just a few days back.

Yes, it is reported as being updated, and current, according to Norton.  I run Live Update at least 2-3x / day.

Again, I have uninstalled with the Norton uninstaller, and reinstalled via the Norton downloader, but to no avail.

I previously had NAV installed, but when I d/l 360, Norton apparently removed NAV, prior to allowing the install of 360.

And from the initial install of Win7 64, Defender is on the HDD, but it is not currently turned on.  BUT, I did not have this issue of not being able to open the program from the Start menu or desktop icon when NAV was installed and active, it has only become an issue since 360 installed itself.

yank

Hi hillsmi,

From the sounds of it, for some reason NAV remnants may be causing a conflict.  I would suggest you uninstall N 360 via the Control Panel,reboot, download and run the Norton Removal Tool, reboot, reinstall N 360.  After the install and activation, please run LiveUpdate (rebooting as requested) until it responds "no updates found".

Please keep us posted.

Contributor
hillsmi

Did as the previous post suggested; Uninstalled via CP, rebooted, d/l and ran Norton Removal and rebooted x3, used the Norton d/l to reinstall 360 and ran LiveUpdate until it couldn't do it anymore.

I even went so far as to run regedit between the final Norton Removal and the reinstall to manually search / find and remove the following entries from the registry prior to reinstalling 360; Norton, Symantec, NAV and antivirus, to which none were found.

I then proceeded to reinstall 360 from the website directly.

After the final reboot and letting the system settle, I clicked the Norton desktop icon, the pgm flashed on the screen for about 1/2 a second (literally), and then disappeared.

As of now, I still CANNOT open the main pgm 360 from the Start Menu, or the desktop icon (to be able to custom-configure any / all settings, if I so desire).  I am only able to start the sub-pgms by clicking them from either the System Tray, or the Tasks Menu after right-clicking 360 from the Start Menu.

I am not able to open the main 360 pgm at all (only the sub-pgms) from the icon, Start Menu, or System Tray.

This is not right!

I never had this problem with NAV in the past.  I've been using and running Norton / Symantec products for probably about 10 years now.

peterweb
Kudos: 1,462
Solutions: 366

Do you use Tortoise SVN? If so, there is a known issue that is solved by updating Tortoise.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
yank

Hi hillsmi,

I am a bit confused at the moment (which some folks may say that is not hard to believe)!  :smileyembarrassed:

If you have updated N 360 to the latest version,  which is version 20.2.0.19 , which does away with the desktop icon for N 360, then it would appear you are clicking on an old icon that does not function any longer.  So your clicking on the desktop icon and nothing happening is an  expected result.

Have you tried what I suggested before -  via the System Tray Icon , to select Check for New Version.  If there is one available, it will update to it and may even clear up you situation.

I;m sorry if I missed it - but what is your operating system?  I am on Win 7 and my Start menu, and a hover over N 360 provides an open N 360 option.

I agree with what you are saying is not right, so please bear with us while we continue to dig deeper.