Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
tomg88
Accepted Solution

Alpha Anitvirus

Since this seems to be a growing concern, will Norton be addressing this issue?  I had a run in with it

and did a search and it seem quite widespread considering the number of hits on the search.  Luckily, all indications

point to not being infected by it.  I contacted Norton by chat and wasn't enthused by their fix for it.  Having to go

out to buy Malwarebytes doesn't seem like 360 is providing great protection.  BTW Malwarebytes wasn't their

suggestion, but seems to be a common cure.

Norton Fighter
mdturner

Re: Alpha Anitvirus

Welcome to the Norton Community

tomg88 wrote:

Having to go out to buy Malwarebytes doesn't seem like 360 is providing great protection.  BTW Malwarebytes wasn't their

suggestion, but seems to be a common cure.

Hi tomg88

Malwarebytes is free for the on-demand version. If you have bought and installed the paid version then ou are running a version with a real time scanner and you should not do that as Norton 360 also has a real time scanner and they will coflict and potentially reduce your protection

We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. ~William Ewart Gladstone

Contributor
tomg88

I did run it and then remove it, but it seems to be the best option, when Norton won't pick it up.  I certainly hope

Norton responds to this threat.

floplot
Topics: 218
Kudos: 2,055
Solutions: 367

Hi tomg88

Can you open up task manager ok? Would you please run HiJackThis and post the log from it by clicking on add attachement directly below the post button. Please don't attempt to fix anything with HiJackThis until someone checks out the log. Thanks.

Here is the link for HiJackThis

http://www.filehippo.com/download_hijackthis/

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

Bot Obliterator
Quads

Hi

At least Alpha Antivirus is an easy one to remove

The above Hijackthis link looks like the Installer not the executable

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-alpha-antivirus

Quads 

floplot

Hi

It is the executable. Copied from the webpage I posted in my above link.

Filename: HJTInstall.exe

Super Phishing Phryer
Turbo

floplot, as Quads has stated your link is for the installer, not the executable version of HJT. Note the word install in the file name you copied. The executable is HijackThis.exe and would be used if you want to run HJT but not install it on your PC. Both versions and more info available here:  HJT
Bot Obliterator
Quads

Yep

The difference is that, If a PC has Malware running using a fair bit of resource, or in some way blocking, not allowing the installation of Programs, may be just because the system is already working hard.  The executable version does not need to be installed, will run from your desktop.

It does still ask for you to accept the agreement though.

This also allows you to more quickly  create a log and remove what ever is needed, as long as Hijackthis is allowed to run and as long as you know to read the log and what to do, even the creators warn of this.

Quads 

floplot

[ Edited ]

Hi

Ok, sorry, I didn't know about the difference.:( Thanks for informing me and I will change my macro for it.

Message Edited by floplot on 11-11-2009 07:17 PM

Contributor
tomg88

Here's the log.