Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
anreyna

AntivirusSoft Malware--Norton does not detect it!

I recently got infected with a nasty malware program called "AntiVirus Soft". I have Norton 360 installed on my computer and I can't believe that it would let such an annoying virus through. You REALLY have to do something about it. More and more people are getting infected with it and Norton is doing absolutely nothing, it wouldn't even detect it. Please take care of it asap.

Thank you!

PapauZ
Topics: 391
Kudos: 1,023
Solutions: 374

Re: AntivirusSoft Malware--Norton does not detect it!

Unfortunately these rogue programs are hardly to detect, and most AV programs do not detect them (incl. Norton)!

Here's a step-by-step guide how to remove it: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-antivirus-soft

Let us know the results.

Windows 8.1 Embedded Industry Pro x64 Hungarian, Norton 360 v21.2.0.38

Super Spyware Scolder
3play

anreyna wrote:

I recently got infected with a nasty malware program called "AntiVirus Soft". I have Norton 360 installed on my computer and I can't believe that it would let such an annoying virus through.

Did you have Norton 360 version 4 ? I doubt anything like this can pass through Download Insight , IPS or SONAR2 .

PapauZ

[ Edited ]

3play wrote:

anreyna wrote:

I recently got infected with a nasty malware program called "AntiVirus Soft". I have Norton 360 installed on my computer and I can't believe that it would let such an annoying virus through.

Did you have Norton 360 version 4 ? I doubt anything like this can pass through Download Insight , IPS or SONAR2 .

Sometimes these rogue programs can infect the PCs with AV softwares installed as well... :( They are kinda new technology for infecting the machines, and AV developers are now building new detection mechanisms to get them much faster then now. Most of them needs some user interactions -> well, basicly you allow them to install.....

Here are some other infos about them, plus a lot of variants: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_security_software

EDIT: or check this: http://www.microsoft.com/security/antivirus/rogue.aspx

Super Spyware Scolder
3play

PapauZ wrote:
Sometimes these rogue programs can infect the PCs with AV softwares installed as well... :( They are kinda new technology for infecting the machines, and AV developers are now building new detection mechanisms to get them much faster then now. Most of them needs some user interactions -> well, basicly you allow them to install.....

Here are some other infos about them, plus a lot of variants: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_security_software

EDIT: or check this: http://www.microsoft.com/security/antivirus/rogue.aspx

Hello!

No antivirus is perfect but as you said most times (if we have a computer not seriously vulnerable) this requires user interaction . And if the executable gets downloaded on the computer , Download Insight would have poped-up with messages like these

Capture.PNG   

Capture2.PNG

(well , in case IE or Firefox were involved)

Visitor
anreyna

thanks for the help, but i had to do a system restore to get rid of that virus.

Contributor
cheeseandonion

The most common way to remove this virus is by a system restore.

floplot
Topics: 209
Kudos: 2,010
Solutions: 361

Hello

These rogue antivirus programs are constantly being changed ever so slightly, but enough to bypass antivirus programs. Bleeping Computers has been updating their instructions to remove this malware trying to keep up with it. Unfortunately, the malware writers are a bit faster in making slight changes which will prevent Security programs from stopping it in many cases. Some times malware just has to be removed safely and Bleeping Computers is supplying this removal process.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

Regular Contributor
snipes1988

How do you know you got infected with it if Norton does not detect it?

PapauZ

snipes1988 wrote:

How do you know you got infected with it if Norton does not detect it?

Mostly these uses pop-ups, and they came up randomly while you are using your PC. But as we said before these programs intect the PCs mostly by "user-error". These have so good webpages and advertisements, that you belive them, and install them. And then the average user can not remove it, or do anything to stop it.....