Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
sergx4570

Audio Virus or Malware.

I find myself stumped. There are audio clips that reandomly load on my computer about plumbimg, an allstate commercial, or my favorite " Congratulations You Won". i am stumped now becuse i have run full scans on Norton 360, Ad Aware, Malware Bytes, and spybot search and destroy. I have checked the task manager durring the audio events and no new services launch. I am at the end of my rope. Anyone have any idea????

floplot
Topics: 218
Kudos: 2,055
Solutions: 367

Re: Audio Virus or Malware.

Hello sergx4570

Welcome to the Norton Community Forum

Are any of those other programs real time scanners? Do you have spybot with TeaTimer and the resident thing turned on? Those 2 parts will interfere with N360. Do you have Adware with the antivirus part also? That will interfere also.

Can you please tell us what operating system and service pack you are using please? Also, what version of N360 please?

Can you please try a scan with N360 in safe mode and let us know how you made out with that? Thanks.

I am going to ask a Mod to move your thread to the N360 section also.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

Visitor
sergx4570

will do.

Volunteer
yogesh_mohan

I would suggest you to try a full system scan by booting into Safe Mode first. Check if detects or removes any threats. If the problem persists, try to run Norton Power Eraser tool:

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/DIY/index.jsp

Check if it detects any threats and if it does, please provide us the filename and other details. Don't fix any files now, you can fix those after getting confirmation in this thread.

Yogesh

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,854
Solutions: 779

Hi sergx4570,

The malware removal forum at Bleepingcomputer has had many cases of this malware turn up in the last few days.  It infects the Master Boot Record, making it necessary to be removed manually.  You can get help by registering and posting there.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/

Here are some of the threads currently on the board there dealing with this virus:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?act=Search&CODE=show&searchid=cbdd6510c7ed79cf63c73...

Bot Obliterator
Quads

Like this http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/iexplore-exe-virus-trojan/m-p/256325#...

The downloaded files on install keep updating though,  or there are even still a few old TDL2's floating around.

Quads

Visitor
sergx4570

So Booted into safe mode and ran a full scan on norton 360 version 3.0. Nothing found but audio still keeps comming randomly. I am heading to bleeping computer to see if they can assist. Anyone elese have any ideas?

floplot

Hello sergx4570

After your computer gets cleaned up, you can update to version 4.2 for free if you have a valid subscription. Please let us know what they found after you receive help from them. Good luck.

Visitor
sergx4570

So the Saga continues. I wen to bleeping computer.com and found there help to be about a 7 day wait. After waiting for assistance i had no luck with the threads they mentioned. I though t Norton was suppose to prevent root kits? anyone have any other ideas? Would updating to 4.2 fix this? where do i get the update?

floplot

Hello sergx4570

I'm sorry, but you can't get a clean install of an upgrade to N360 version 4.2 with an infected computer. What do you mean when you say you had no luck with the threads they mentioned? Did you tell the person who was helping you what was happening when you tried to do what he said to do? What was the end result that the person who was helping you said?