Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
frustrated71

Re: Back up software does not back up all files! Norton Security suite, help or how do I enter a bug

Upgraded to 6.2.0.9 - same problems

Visitor
frustrated71

Re: Back up software does not back up all files! Norton Security suite, help or how do I enter a bug

OK I found more files not being backed up.

If you have ripped a CD windows creates 5 system files inside the folder that holds the mp3 files. These 5 files are the 4 different size album art jpeg images and a desktop.ini file.

Norton backup does not back these up - that seems bad since they are important to how windows displays the folders containing your music. Without these you get no album art in your folders and no album art when you play your music in the media player.

yank
Kudos: 2,231
Solutions: 510

frustrated71 wrote:

Upgraded to 6.2.0.9 - same problems

Info only:

Just started reading trhu this thread and noticed that you were on an older version of Norton Security Suite.  The 6.2.0.9 is in fact the most current version for NSS.  NSS users are still waiting for the 6.2.1.5 update to be placed on the Comcast/Norton server.  I am sure that update will not make a difference in regards to your situation.

Symantec Employee
James_Carr

frustrated71 wrote:

OK I found more files not being backed up.

If you have ripped a CD windows creates 5 system files inside the folder that holds the mp3 files. These 5 files are the 4 different size album art jpeg images and a desktop.ini file.

Norton backup does not back these up - that seems bad since they are important to how windows displays the folders containing your music. Without these you get no album art in your folders and no album art when you play your music in the media player.

I will test your issues out on my end and send it to the devs. Thank you for keeping us updated on your situation.

Visitor
frustrated71

Upgraded to 6.2.1.5 - same issues....

shannons
Topics: 50
Kudos: 115
Solutions: 8

dickevans

frustrated71 wrote:

OK I found 1 folder which name was 5 chars long. It had a ~ as the third character. I replaced the ~ with a space and then Norton back up counted that folder and it's contents (235 files) in the preview and backed them up.

A ~ inhibits a folder from being backed up - seriously!?!?!

Geee what other special characters do I need to remove from my file names and folder names!??!?!

How the hell I'm I supposed to go through 12,000 plus files and folders and find all the special characters in their names that this buggy software does not recognize?!?!

The other special characters that cannot be used in files names are;

"You can't use any of the following characters in a file name: \ / ? : * " > < |"

the above from the windows help files

Since folder names are under the same basic rules as file names I'd say all of the above including the ~ which you have already discovered is a no-no.

Hope this helps

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21