Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
PrairieRev
Accepted Solution

Backup to external hard drive.

I want to be able to back up my files to an external hard drive on my home wifi system, but that hard drive is not listed as a possible destination.  How can I get Norton 360 to recognize that drive?

Symantec Employee
viveksu

Re: Backup to external hard drive.

Hi,

Can you please clarify few queries.

Is your External Hard Drive listed under "My Computer" of your PC where you installed Norton 360?

If its listed under "My Computer" and not listed under "Backup Destination" then please disconnect the external hard drive and try to reconnect it and check whether its getting listed in backup list?

PrairieRev

My hard drive is not listed under "My Computer". It is listed on my "Network" list.  It is connected to my wireless router.  Up until last night it had been listed under "My Computer", but I had disconnected it (by way of the computer, not just unplugging it) to add file folders.  When I put it back on the router my computer would not recognize it.  I was able to have the router recognize it, but now it is only on my "network" list and not on the "My Computer" list.

I running Vista Home Premium on a HP Pavilion machine.

Symantec Employee
viveksu

The External hard drive has to be recognised in your PC as a drive first for Norton 360 to display as a backup destination.

If you can reach a folder in your External Hard Drive from your PC after connecting it to Wifi Networkl then please create a "Mapped Network Drive" for a folder in the External Hard Drive from your PC and then the Mapped Network Drive will be listed in your Backup Destination List.

Device such as NAS (Network Attached Storage) can be usefull for you, since NAS will connect to Ethernet Card and so your PC can access them.

PrairieRev

Got it, It worked. Thanks for your help.