Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
OldSVTGuy

Bloodhound.maipe

Norton 360 self scans and finds this in the Windows/winxsx file.  When I manually scan this entire subfolder, it says no problems.  I've scanned with several others including RogueKiller, tdsskiller, superantispyware, and antimalwarebytes and they do not find this.  I have also used Norton's Power Eraser.  Is this a false positive?  Or, do I really have this virus?  I am really getting tired of this constant Norton 360 reminder and it will not/cannot remove it.

Thank you for any insights.

Regular Contributor
intesec

Re: Bloodhound.maipe

Hi OldSVTGuy

Check out the link below.

https://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2010-061410-5559-99

Try a full Norton scan in safe mode (see help and support from the start menu).  Disconnect the internet before booting into safe mode as Norton appears to be disabled in safe mode only allowing a full scan.

ATB

intesec

Visitor
OldSVTGuy

Yes, I've seen that link and tried the suggestions; still getting the bloodhound warning.  So, I scanned in safe mode but once I started up in normal mode, bing, there it is again warning of the bloodhound.maipe.  About to give up on it and just think of it as a falst positive.

peterweb
Kudos: 1,379
Solutions: 344

As you have already run advanced tools, you may not be able to get help from Quads, but you might be able to ask for an opinion on whether you are infected.

You should post this in the new Malware Discussion board for help removing this problem. http://community.norton.com/t5/Malware-Discussion/bd-p/Malware

Start by reading Guidelines in the first post at the top of the page.

Be sure you do not run any scans or utilities until instructed by the Malware Expert (Quads), as changes made with those programs can remove the traces of the malware that are needed to diagnose and fix the problem.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Visitor
OldSVTGuy

Thank you  - I'll try that when I have LOTS of time.  I'm going out ot town for a few days, then should be back and will post there at that time.

Visitor
OldSVTGuy

For whatever reason, Norton actually deleted this file today.  Previously, it just said removal failed.  No more warnings, so I'll assume Norton 360 finally took care of it through some updates or I just got lucky.

Thank you for all the suggestions.

peterweb
Kudos: 1,379
Solutions: 344

It could have been just one more restart of your system cleared things up for you.

Hope things stay clear.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.