02-24-2012 11:26 AM
After many problems trying to update virus definitions for a 32 bit win7 computer
I was pointed to download the virus definitions from:
The first file which is the one for me: 20120224-002-v5i32.exe gives me the following errors:
CRC failed in VIRSCAN.ZIP
I have downloaded it 4 times with both ftp and http and firefox and IE. Can
somebody else please check that it is not just my computer that ALWAYS gives
the exact same error at the same file on many different downloads.
02-24-2012 12:21 PM
can you please tell us the exact version of your Norton product?
1. Open the main window
2. Click on Help & Support -> About menu
3. On the About window find the version number (it will look like this: 184.108.40.206)
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 x64 Hungarian, Norton 360 v220.127.116.11, Norton Utilities 16, Symantec System Recovery 2013
02-24-2012 12:23 PM
Welcome to Norton Community!
This problem may happen if your computer is already infected by some virus/trojan and it is blocking the virus definitions to get updated into Norton product. I would suggest to try this:
You may also try to download the Intelligent Update file to any other computer, and transfer it to yours via CD/Flash drive. Then run it to update the definitions.
02-24-2012 03:00 PM
I will have to do that tomorrow (very late now and no access to the computer). As far as I know it is the very latest version 6 downloaded today. However, in terms of my original question the version of Norton is irrelevant since I used a browser to download the virus file and it failed during self-extraction. I can maybe repeat the extraction in safe mode i.e. with NO Norton product running.
02-24-2012 03:13 PM
I have now downloaded the file using windows XP running AVG antivirus and will copy it across to the other computer tomorrow to see if that runs. Thanks for the hint.
02-25-2012 04:51 AM
An update and good news...
HarryP - I did as you wrote and ran NPE.exe under safe mode. But before I did that I created another administrator user and used that user to run the program. It reported that there were NO threats.
I had used a windows XP computer to download both NPE.exe and 20120224-002-v5i32.exe and put them on a usb memory stick. I copied both of these to the desktop of the new user.
On a whim, whilst still in safe mode, I also ran 20120224-002-v5i32.exe - AMAZING, it ran without error and said that it had found a valid Norton product and updated it.
So, next I used an md5 summer to get the signatures. First the one downloaded with the windows XP machine (which is the one that I had downloaded on a windows XP machine and which succeeded:
Then two that were downloaded by Firefox and IE on the windows 7 computer:
AAAARRGGGHH - all different!!!
I then switched back to the original (administrator) user in full Windows and ran the Liveupdater. This downloaded around 70 megabytes and installed 2 updates successfully. This is the first time the automatic update has run without error on version 6 on this Windows 7 computer. I then rebooted and re-ran liveupdate which told me my product was fully up to date.
So, the immediate problem has been fixed, but it looks like I have a problem with downloading files. I have previously been caught out by anti-virus programs screwing up large downloads which are done by a downloader in parts with the AV intercepting the parts and somehow interfering with their assembly. It might be that. I will do a few more experiments before stopping this.
But in summary the original problem has now "gone away" but I don't believe has been fixed.
02-25-2012 05:55 AM
The virus definitions file has now changed to a new version, but I did some more downloading. http://www.symantec.com/security_response/definiti
First I downloaded it without changing anything:
Definitely the wrong md5 sum, so corrupt. Then I tried to exclude the download directory from Norton AV, but all I could find was to exclude a directory "from manual or scheduled scans". I could not find out how to exclude the real time. Then I downloaded the 139 megabytes twice, once with ftp and once with http:
Great! the md5 sums were correct. So I thought I had the problem cracked. Just to give it one more try I downloaded it yet again, once more with http:
Sigh, so I now know what the problem is: I cannot download large files reliably. Sometimes they work, sometimes not.
I turned off real time protection and re-downloaded, but got yet another md5 failure. So right this moment it seems that something is screwing up my downloading, but I don't know what, and it seems unlikely too be anything to do with Norton, but I will reboot and download the same thing in safe mode with networking to see if that makes any difference. So my best advice for someone with this sort of problem is DON'T IGNORE THE PROVISION OF MD5 SUMS ON THE WEBSITE (sorry about that).
02-25-2012 06:32 AM
I have done further experiments. Even in safe mode, I cannot download reliably with either firefox or IE. I have no idea what is going on. I intend to switch to another computer on the same network to see if it is this Windows 7 computer or something else in the network which is causing the problem.
Sorry to have troubled you all, but this does not look like a Norton problem.