Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
Pinger

Can no longer change Windows Firewall settings...

I recently downloaded Norton 360. Since then, I can longer use my P2P client, Vuze.

I've tried everything that I know to check what could possibly preventing downloading.

I tried to check my firewalls but Windows will not let me check or change settings due to the management of Norton.

Can anyone give me some insight on this issue, please?

Thanks,

Angela

Regular Contributor
F0x0nth3run

Re: Can no longer change Windows Firewall settings...

Hi Angela.

The firewall for your computer is now Nortons so what you need to do is open Norton 360, click on Settings in the top of Norton and then choose Firewall. There you can configure the firewall in Norton (rules for traffic, applications and other devices in the network if you have any). If you look under "Program rules" you should look up Vuze and see that is set to Allow, otherwise you can add the application with "Add" at the bottom of the windows and allow it.

If you are not using Norton 360 version 6 I would recommend you to upgrade Norton at this link: http://www.norton.com/nuc
(To check version of Norton open it, click on Support in top right corner and choose About) 

Let me know how it goes.

Best regards, F0x0nth3run
Visitor
Pinger

Hi Mr. Fox~ (hope that's not a wrong assumption)

Thank you very much for attempting to help me...

I checked under Norton's 'program rules' and Azeurus (Vuze) was set to 'Allow'.

I also checked the version I had and it was 6.0.1.2...

I am quite new at P2P file sharing but with the basic knowledge I have of it, I've checked everything on that end, to see that everything is working properly. With that said, it could be possible that I have overlooked something. I just assumed with the downloading of Norton, that Norton had to be the cause of Vuze stopping all downloads.

I really do hope you have another suggestion. I am also waiting for a response from the Vuze forums, to see if they can help. (and I could be waiting days for a reply...they do not like to help).

Thanks again, Mr. Fox~

Angela 

Regular Contributor
F0x0nth3run

Sorry to hear that this wasn't an easy fix and what I would like you to try then is to turn off Nortons firewall and see if the problem persist. You can do that by opening Norton, click on Settings, untick Smart Firewall under "Quick Controls" to your right.

(Be sure to not have Vuze started when you turn off the firewall and once the firewall is turned off, close Norton and open Vuze to see if the problem persists).

If this does not help I would like to ask you if your are using a router or anything to connect to internet, if so you could try to connect directly to the modem instead to rule out that the router is the problem.

You can also try to uninstall and reinstall Vuze and see if the problem is solved.
I assume that your are not using any other antivirus application on your computer right now but I am wondering if you had any antivirus application installed before installing Norton?

Let me know how it goes.

Visitor
Pinger

Mr. Fox~

Thanks again for trying to help me... :)

Unfortunately, my problem still persists. I did as you suggested and turned off Norton's firewall. Vuze still isn't responding. I did try to run a NAT test and it failed, something it has not done before. I tried several times...

As far as a router or modem is concerned, I use my phone to tether to my computer. It's a method that has worked well in the past as far as getting done what I need it to do...

I also installed Vuze and reinstalled. No change.

I have no other antivirus on my computer at this moment, other than Windows itself, which is why I was trying to figure out how to change the setting, as my computer shows that the firewall is on.

However, before installing Vuze, I had the temporary AVG antivirus installed. It gave me a fit trying to uninstall it.

Still no response from Vuze. Like I said before, their support group blows~

If you can think of anything else, I'm all ears. Vuze has been down for 19 days now and I'm not a happy camper.

CaptainAng

Regular Contributor
F0x0nth3run

Sorry to hear that nothing has helped. I am out of suggestions I'm afraid.

Maybe try another torrent client and see if it helpes, you can have multiple installed at the same time.

Maybe someone else here on the forums have any suggestions?

Let me know how it goes.

peterweb
Kudos: 1,373
Solutions: 343

Hi Pinger

You note you had AVG installed previously and had uninstalled it. Did you use the removal tool from AVG? If not, It may have left some stuff behind that can interfere with Norton.

You can find the AVG removal tool here  http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.