Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
irishone21

Can't install Norton 360

I recently bought a laptop, so I'm new to using it. Anyway, it came with a 30 day free trial of Norton, which I .activated.  Today, it ended so I purchased the 360 version3. I downloaded it with no problem.  However, after doing that, I received no further prompts.  There is a 'Norton 360 Installation' icon on my desktop now, but every time I click on it, first I get the message that there's an unknown program that wants access to my computer. Then when I click to allow it to run, I get the message: Another installer is currently running.  Help! I have no idea what to do next. I tried Norton live chat/help but there was an error trying to load that. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!
delphinium
Kudos: 2,965
Solutions: 293

Re: Can't install Norton 360

irishone21:

What was the Norton program running as a trial on your machine.  Was it also N360, or NIS, or NAV?  How was that activated?  If it was N360 v2 on your machine, you did not need to purchase the newer version.  You would have been able to upgrade for free.

It sounds as though you have one OEM version with another version over top.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain
Volunteer
yogesh_mohan

Hi irishone21,

Welcome to Norton Community!

First restart your computer. Then download and run the Norton Removal Tool from this LINK to remove the free trial of Norton. You may have to run the tool multiple times to completely remove it. After that try to install Norton 360 using the 'Norton 360 Installation' icon on the desktop. Let us know how it goes.

Yogesh

Visitor
irishone21

Thanks for the help. I did as you suggested & removed the free trial from my machine. Now when I try to install,the Norton install box does come up (which is progress) but I get another error message: The install file can not be properly validated. It suggests I run Windows Update, which I am trying to do, but I'm having problems with my connection.  The windows update is really slow.  I will keep trying to finish the update.  Any further ideas? Thanks in advance.

Chris

Volunteer
yogesh_mohan

Hi Chris,

Try to download a fresh copy of Norton 360 and install using that. You can download Norton 360 from any of the following links according to the Edition you have purchased:

For Standard Edition: http://www.norton.com/n360s_3
For Premier Edition: http://www.norton.com/n360p_3

Standard edition will be having only 2GB of Online Storage Space along with the product purchase while Premier Edition will be having 25GB of Online Storage Space. Don't download Permier edition if you have purchased Standard edition or viceversa. Let us know how it goes.

Yogesh

dbrisendine
Kudos: 1,294
Solutions: 263

When you get a chance please provide us some details on your system.  Go to START > Control Panel and double click on System.  You should find the OS version and Service Pack level there along with System type (32 bit or 64 bit) .  Please report this information back here.  Thanks.
Win7 x32 SP1
Visitor
irishone21

Yogesh- I already tried that. Didn't work. Still getting error message.  Dbrisendine- I have Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit system.  Did I miss any other important info?
Symantec Employee
Kreg

[ Edited ]

Hi Irishone21,

What is the manufacturer of the system? And which Norton program came preinstalled (Norton Internet Security, N360, Norton Antivirus) and was it the 2009 version?

Are you still recieving this error message "The install file can not be properly validated"

If you are follow the steps in this document, make sure to complete step 1

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&ssfromlink=true&sprt_cid=f...

Message Edited by Kreg on 08-22-2009 10:49 AM
Kreg
Sr. Technical Account Mgr
Symantec Corp.