Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
brianjay

Can't shutdown 360.. and How to disable PC tuneup?

Hi everybody,

i'm test driving Norton 360 and i really like so far. Only problem is i'm a gamer.. While i'm playing i want to run *ONLY* the game with no other proceses eating my FPS in the background. Sorry if this is stupid question, but how do i shut the suite down? I'm using PC for something like 15 years and i'm a little puzzled right now..

On a side note i want to *completely* disable pc tuneup(grayed out). I uncheck'd all the options from the task scheduling menu but it still show the status as protected(green). Apparently diagnostic report and start up manager are still running. Any idea how to shut them down?

Norton Fighter
Krusty13

Re: Can't shutdown 360.. and How to disable PC tuneup?

Welcome brianjay,

You can turn on Silent Mode by right clicking the Norton Icon in the Notification area and select Turn on Silent Mode.

Diagnostic report and Start up manager only run when you want them to run.  Start up Manager just allows you to pick which programs you want to run when your computer starts.  Diagnostic report checks the health of your system.

I hope this helps.

Dave.

W W W  =  Wild Wild West.    Be careful out there!

brianjay

Hi Dave,

i understand what you saying. Basically there is no(or very little) impact on the pefromance with all features disabled running in the background? I still would like to be able to shut it down at will like every other security software.. It might be a deal braker for me.

Symantec Employee
HarryP

Hi brianjay,

You can disable the core protection (Auto-Protect/SONAR and Smart Firewall) from Norton 360 for a specified time period. You just need to right-click on the Norton icon in system tray and use the option to disable those features. But disabling the protection may open your computer to vulnerabilities. This is critical especially when you play games which requires internet access for different purposes(updating games/online multiplayer options etc). We won't recommend our users to disable protection completely, and to over come this difficult situation, we added the Quiet Mode(Silent Mode). In Norton 360 V6, you can added the game to Program lists for Quiet Mode and enable full screen detection so that Norton 360 will automatically stop all background activities when you play the game, thus entering into Quiet mode.

quietmode.png

Similar information is provided here in the following thread:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Quiet-mode-and-silent-mode/m-p/650951...

Additional information:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?actstat=activated&ct=us&docid=...

Thanks,

HarryP