Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Visitor
Ironman63

Cannot delete cookie "hp_administrator@content.yieldmanager"

Why can this cookie not be removed by either Norton 360 scans(primary and background) or by physically deleting the cookie in Temporary Internet Files?  I have tried Spybot and SuperAntiSpyware and still can't remove it.  Is this something that can't be removed or is there a root or parent file that won't allow me to get rid of it?  Any help is appreciated. 

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,845
Solutions: 779

Re: Cannot delete cookie "hp_administrator@content.yieldmanager"

Hi Ironman63,

Another member, sutclifp, had a similar issue in this thread, and was able to successfully remove some difficult cookies using the method described by Microsoft here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278835/EN-US/

Regular Visitor
Ironman63

Thank you. The Microsoft link worked. I had tried that already but I had the "Preserve Favorite Websites" checked. When I unchecked all but the cookies, it removed it. Thanks again.

SendOfJive

You're welcome (and thanks to sutclifp as well).

Regular Contributor
g_cafe_c

We should learn and remember to perform a few Windows chores manually which we may rely on our security & protection software to perform for us.  I have reached the decision to not let my Norton 360 remove tracking cookies since it does not really delete them but just stores them in some other particular path, so now I will delete cookies manually from time to time.  When I look at the history of Norton 360 to see a big list of tracking cookies which I may also restore if I wished, then I am just collecting junk files which I have no real use for; so I will now choose to manually delete them at my own somewhat regular schedule, using "Internet Options...".

SendOfJive

By far the easiest and best way to handle cookies is via the privacy settings in your browser. Configure the browser not to accept third-party cookies and to delete all cookies when closing. For cookies that you need to keep, such as those for banking sites, simply add those sites to the browser's list of allowed exceptions.
Regular Contributor
g_cafe_c

SendOfJive packs in a large piece of knowledge here:

--------------------------------------

By far the easiest and best way to handle cookies is via the privacy settings in your browser. Configure the browser not to accept third-party cookies and to delete all cookies when closing. For cookies that you need to keep, such as those for banking sites, simply add those sites to the browser's list of allowed exceptions.

--------------------------------------

I wish I understood all of that and how to do what is there described, but in any event, that is another example of how knowing how to use features of Windows is better than relying on our antivirus/antimalware product to handle the features of Windows for us.

SendOfJive

Hi g_cafe_c,

What browser do you use?

Regular Contributor
g_cafe_c

SendOfJive,

Internet Explorer version 8

What you describe about the cookies I could probably do, but am not sure how.

So far, I turned my Norton 360 check for tracking cookies OFF.   Does Norton 360 permit a way to delete the cookies it finds or must they only be quarunteened and still remain stored on the computer in a place to which N360 puts them?

SendOfJive

[ Edited ]

Hi g_cafe_c,

Here are the steps to take in Internet Explorer 8 to keep Norton from ever having to deal with another tracking cookie:

1.  Sites that you want to allow to set permanent cookies for log-in and preference retention (such as Community.Norton.com) should be added to your browser Favorites.

2.  Tools > Internet Options > Privacy tab > Advanced button. Override automatic cookie handling: Check.  First party Cookies: Accept.  Third-party Cookies: Block.  Always allow session cookies: Check.  OK.

5858i418F703F30B6F02C

3.  Tools > Internet Options > General tab > Browsing history category.  >Delete browsing history on exit: Check.  >Delete button:  Preserve Favorites website data: Check.  Cookies: Check.  (You can also choose any other information you wish to have erased when you close the browser.  Checking "Preserve Favorites" will save cookies and other personal data for those sites that you have added to your Favorites earlier.).

5859i56F2A1902E91AD3B

Some other useful things to know:

Tools > Internet Options > Privacy tab >Sites button will let you allow or block sites on a per site basis.  You can use a free program like Javacool's SpywareBlaster to automatically populate this list with the names of sites to block (note in my screenshot that yieldmanager.com is one of the sites that has been blocked).  SpywareBlaster's protections are all passive and so do not conflict with any security software that runs in real time, such as Norton.  In addition to blocking tracking cookies, SpywareBlaster also blocks known ActiveX-based malware and populates IE's Restricted Sites Security Zone with a blacklist of known bad sites. Just enable all protection in SpywareBlaster and it will set these things automatically.

5860iC2923746429BED5F