Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
paranoid1

Cannot get support to block pup toolbars and trojans

I have Windows XP, IE8, and Norton 360. I have 3 discrete problems:

Most important

How can I reach Norton Support?

I tried to get support today. I clicked on Support from the Norton 360 application, turned off my popup blocker from IE. But regardless of whether I click on CHAT or on LOCAL NUMBER for Phone Support, I get a message: "Your session has expired. Redirecting to contact details form." and I am blocked from getting ANY support from Norton (not that they've been much help in the past, they just tell me to pay $99 for them to answer any question.)

Reason I'd tried to contact them in the first place

How can I prevent pups in the future?

I had a bad Trojan.Dropper/SVCHost-Fake.Process and a PUP toolbar downloader, which I found after my PC slowed to a crawl and I ran SuperAntiSpyware, and it took me a week to get rid of it with the help of a non-Norton expert.

Additional Issue

Would I have been able to use Virus Removal Assurance instead of an outside expert?

Shouldn't I have Virus Removal Assurance? Do I have it? Nobody mentioned it when I renewed my Norton subscription in August 2012.

peterweb
Kudos: 1,457
Solutions: 364

Re: Cannot get support to block pup toolbars and trojans

The suggested way for contacting Support is with this online link to chat    www.norton.com/chat

You should not need to pay anything for the normal support for your product. Sometimes there are fees for virus removal, but there are also free alternatives, including posting here on the forums.

The PUPs often come onto your system together with another infection. The main advise is to surf safely.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Contributor
paranoid1

I tried that link, and when I clicked on "Get Support", I got a screen saying "Thank you for using Norto chat" and when I close that, I go back to the screen with the "Get Support" button. No chat window and no local numbers (for New York City). It seems Norton Support now has found a new way to NOT provide any support. Sneaky...

peterweb

paranoid1 wrote:

I tried that link, and when I clicked on "Get Support", I got a screen saying "Thank you for using Norto chat" and when I close that, I go back to the screen with the "Get Support" button. No chat window and no local numbers (for New York City). It seems Norton Support now has found a new way to NOT provide any support. Sneaky...

When you get the 'Thank you for ....' you should also get a second 'Chat' window open. If you are clicking on the first message, you are taking the focus off the chat window, and you may have to look for a second instance of your browser hiding under the main browser window.

chat 1.JPG

You might need a little patience while an agent becomes available.

Contributor
paranoid1

I tried that. How I have gone from loving Norton a couple of years ago (I never got malware) to HATING it so much (a couple of Trojans a month, despite extraordinary care when surfing.) The more time I waste, the more frustrated I am.

1) Why are support phone numbers such a big secret, if I have an account key?

2) I went into chat, entered my name, email, phone, and selected Norton 360. Then it asks for a version, from 2 thru 6; but the application’s support tab says only Version 20.2.0.19, so I’m GUESSING it’s “2”. Typical Norton ambiguity.

3) I clicked on “Submit”. I know Norton SAYS I should get a chat ID and a chat window, but instead I got black-background message and uneditable blank page.

norton2.jpgnorton1.jpg

4) I decided maybe I needed to choose a different version of Norton 360, so I logged into my account but that provided no more info.

5) And I still suspect Norton won’t even try to answer my question as to how to set the application to block pup malware. They’ll just tell me the charge is $99 to answer a question.

Did I mention I hate Norton?

dickevans

Hi,

Has anyone suggested that it is not possible for any single security product to protect you from 100% of the threats 100% of the time. It's a fact that we'll have to live with. I use either Malwarebytes free scanner

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

or the free scanner from SuperAntiSpyware

http://superantispyware.com/

to run an on-demand scan from the desktop from time to time when I suspect that something might not be exactly right.

Those pop-ups are a pain but seldom cause any harm to your hardware or software. This puts them a bit lower on the Norton priority list of things to block.

Keep us posted

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
peterweb

I see you have Firefox on your system. Try the chat link using Firefox.