Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
Wilbour

Cannot install 360 on Windows 7

I have used 360 for many years with good results. I purchased my new 5.0 version and installed it successfully on a Vista laptop and a Windows 7 laptop. When I tried my 3rd install on a Windows 7 desktop I encountered all sorts of errors. After 10 attempts with the computer crashing several times I read most of the posts on this site. I followed the recommendations, ran the MacAfee installer, ran Malwarebytes, ran Norton Eraser (which by the way you cannot run with Norton Safety Minder already installed), removed Norton Safety Minder, ran Norton removal tool. At this point if I install 360, when it gets to Starting System Services my commuter crashes and I have to do a system repair for Windows. I am at the end of my rope. I cannot think of any other thing to try.

dickevans

Re: Cannot install 360 on Windows 7

Wilbour wrote:

I have used 360 for many years with good results. I purchased my new 5.0 version and installed it successfully on a Vista laptop and a Windows 7 laptop. When I tried my 3rd install on a Windows 7 desktop I encountered all sorts of errors. After 10 attempts with the computer crashing several times I read most of the posts on this site. I followed the recommendations, ran the MacAfee installer, ran Malwarebytes, ran Norton Eraser (which by the way you cannot run with Norton Safety Minder already installed), removed Norton Safety Minder, ran Norton removal tool. At this point if I install 360, when it gets to Starting System Services my commuter crashes and I have to do a system repair for Windows. I am at the end of my rope. I cannot think of any other thing to try.

Hi,

Sorry to hear about the problems. It sounds like there is still something 'nasty' active on that desktop. You mention using the McAfee uninstaller, are there any other security programs active on that system? Can you download, install, update and run Malwarebytes free scanner found here;  http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free it's Norton compatible so keep it around for a second opinion when you need one.

I'm guessing that you will also need ot run the NRT again and reboot to eliminate the rest of the bits from the previous installations and attempts. If Malwarebytes from the desktop and NPE with rootkit active all come back clean you may be ready to try again.

Keep us in the loop

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
Contributor
Wilbour

Thanks for your advice but as I stated in my first post I "ran Malwarebytes" already. Any more tips?

dickevans

Wilbour wrote:

Thanks for your advice but as I stated in my first post I "ran Malwarebytes" already. Any more tips?

Hi,

I'd recommend the Norton Removal Tool and the Norton Power Eraser.

Keep us in the loop

Dick
Contributor
Wilbour

Thanks for the help but as I stated in my first post, I ran Norton eraser and Norton removal tool (which you cannot run if you have Norton Safety Minder installed)

Contributor
Wilbour

I downloaded McAfee and it installed without any issues. Maybe it's time to shift to another company.

DavidThomas88
Topics: 133
Kudos: 51
Solutions: 20

you cant run norton 360 and macafee  at the same time  they wont play nic   you most un stall macafee on your desttop re start then  in stall norton 360 have you tryed re starting?

Contributor
Wilbour

So if I understand you correctly, I should "un stall macafee" (uninstall McAfee) since macafee (McAfee) and norton 360 don't play nic (nice)? Or in other words, remove the virus protection I do have working properly to install one that does not work? Hey it's worth a try.

Contributor
Wilbour

Wilbour wrote:

Just to be clear, my original post stated I ran the McAfee installer when infact it was the McAfee removal tool since I had McAfee on my system when purchased last month. After installing Norton Safety Minder it removed part of McAfee but not all.

dickevans

[ Edited ]

Wilbour wrote:

Wilbour wrote:

Just to be clear, my original post stated I ran the McAfee installer when infact it was the McAfee removal tool since I had McAfee on my system when purchased last month. After installing Norton Safety Minder it removed part of McAfee but not all.

Hi Wilbour,

Let me see if I'm understanding everything correctly.

You had McAfee on the system and ran their removal tools to eliminate it. And rebooted

You have uninstalled Norton Safety Minder. And rebooted

You have run the Norton Power Eraser and the Norton Removal Tool rebooting after each was run

You still cannot install 360 v5.

Am I still in the ballpark?

Thanks

Dick