Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
raiden
Accepted Solution

Cant get rid of a virus (Packed Generic 200)

just recieved a virus  that i cant get rid of.Each time i restart my computer it comes back and then i have to restart it again and it wrecking my computer, i want to know is there a way i can get rid of this huge virus  any suggestion.Please if you know how to get rid of it please help me heres a picture http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/7735/antidn8.jpg .I did follow the rules how to remove  it but it didnt work, and by the way i am using norton 360.
Phil_D
Topics: 207
Kudos: 2,555
Solutions: 391

Re: Cant get rid of a virus (Packed Generic 200)

Hi raiden,

We'll try another way to rid you of this infection.

Download, install and update the FREE version of Malwarebytes. (the Green Download Button)

Once those steps are completed, unplug from the internet, restart your computer in SAFE MODE and run a complete Malwarebytes scan. If items are found, follow the Malwarebytes suggested procedure.

This next step is optional but recommended. Delete your System Restore Points by turning off System Restore. Many infections will become embedded in your previous restore points - therein lies the possibility that they may return. Also you may find that the malware has already erased your restore points.

Restart your computer in Normal Mode and check how things are working. You may have to run the Malwarebytes scan multiple times.

Once you are completely sure your computer is clean, you can turn ON System Restore.

Please let us know how you do with this.

Norton Internet Security • Comcast NSS • Norton Security Beta | XP SP3 • Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64
• PLEASE, BACKUP or EXPORT your Identity Safe Data on a regular basis •
"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."  Edward R. Murrow

liquidbutta

Hello,

I am having the same problem as the previous user.  I have Vista Home Premium OS.  I downloaded Malwarebytes.org free version, and scanned my computer in safe mode.  So far....11 affected items found.  I am unsure of what to do after this.  Can you please give detailed instructions on how to remove this from my OS?  I am also experiencing a blue screen that says windows is automatically shutting down your computer to protect files. It does this everytime I am online.  Please help!!  I also get a message from norton that it dectects this virus, and five minutes later, it says that it has been removed your computer is now secure.  Please help so that i can completely remove this from my computer.  Thanks.

Phil_D
Topics: 207
Kudos: 2,555
Solutions: 391

Hi liquidbutta,

Malwarebytes should automatically provide you with a suggested procedure to deal with any threats that are found. Please follow the recommended removal or quarantine procedure that is presented after the scan.

It is also advisable to delete your System Restore Points as they may have been compromised.

You may also have to run Malwarebytes more than once to rid yourself of the infections.

Be sure you are disconnected from the internet when performing this type of scan.

The blue screen error may indicate something different, so please try to run multiple scans with Malwarebytes and your Norton product in Safe Mode and report back.

Thanks.

Norton Internet Security • Comcast NSS • Norton Security Beta | XP SP3 • Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64
• PLEASE, BACKUP or EXPORT your Identity Safe Data on a regular basis •
"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."  Edward R. Murrow

Bot Obliterator
Quads

On this webpage it tells you what to do with Malwarebytes http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-removal/remove-antivirus-xp-2008

In terms of remove selected etc.

Just ingore the Malware that they are talking about as yours will be different.

Quads 

liquidbutta

Hello,

Okay, so I ran a complete malware scan for the second and third time, and it came back with 0 affected areas (unlike the first time) in safe mode.  I then turned off system restore points in admin. mode.  But i still keep getting the "AUTO-PROTECT DETECTED PACKED.GENERIC.200" message everytime I start my computer.  Then the same thing, five minutes later, it'll say it has been removed your computer is now secure.  I looked at the wordpad report it gives you at the end of the scan, and it said that all the affected areas had been quarantined and deleted. 

Should I turn now turn my system restore back on or leave off?  And btw, the link malwarebytes.org doesn't work.  Any alternatives?  Thank you.

Bot Obliterator
Quads

Hi

With Norton when it detects a file, click on details to see what the file name is that it's detecting.

Quads