Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
Ratsneve

Clean Uninstall of Norton 360 or Norton Ghost ng, Registry Lines Respawn! Vista Ultimate 64-bit

I'm having a great deal of trouble getting all the remnants of Norton 360 v 2 and Norton Ghost 14 out of my Vista Ultimate 64-bit Registry.  I also have Notification Area remnants of 360 and Ghost present but not showing.

It is strange to have to remove hundreds of Registry lines pertaining to 'Symantec', 'Norton 360', and 'Norton Ghost' only to find maybe around 30 to 50 lines in each search returned to the Registry after deleting and several more returning after rebooting.

What procedure can I follow to get rid of these last remnants and once gone will they take care of the three system tray notifications that are hidden?  My earliest restore points and backup images would included both programs.  Could I run Regedit from the Vista install CD and remove a key key preventing the other lines from respawing?  Any other possible tricks?

Thank you.  Remember, this is Vista 64-bit...the Norton Removal Tool for XP seems to do nothing.

Contributor
Ratsneve

Re: Clean Uninstall of Norton 360 or Norton Ghost ng, Registry Lines Respawn! Vista Ultimate 64-bit

The results of this thread in this Norton forum will largely determine if I ever buy or recommend any Norton product again.  To a similar thread in a Usenet newsgroup someone already has claimed that these Norton/Symantec remnants in my 64-bit Vista Registry cannot be removed and that I will have to reformat.  That is a totally unacceptable answer and I condemn Norton and Symantec to the whole world if it proves true.

Volunteer
yogesh_mohan

Re: Clean Uninstall of Norton 360 or Norton Ghost ng, Registry Lines Respawn! Vista Ultimate 64-bit

Try running the Norton removal tool multiple times by booting your computer into Safe Mode. The Norton Removal tool can be used in both Windows XP and Windows Vista. Let us know the results.
Regular Contributor
MacWindows7

I've seen people in the Windows 64-bit newsgroup though say that there is no harm or need and that registry cleaners are a problem, but not leaving them. If they aren't causing problems or conflicts. And they should not.

I had trouble with NIS2007/2008 on Vista U x64, but 2009 was fine, and running Windows 7 beta with N360 B3 is even better than Vista (I still have Vista SP2 beta and SP1 on separate drives). I also bought and used other suites like AVG and Kaspersky during the two years I used Vista.

The forums may not meet your needs but I think the products do.
Contributor
Ratsneve

[ Edited ]

yogesh_mohan wrote:
Try running the Norton removal tool multiple times by booting your computer into Safe Mode. The Norton Removal tool can be used in both Windows XP and Windows Vista. Let us know the results.

Running Norton Removal Tool multiple times from safe mode removes some but by no means all of 'Symantec', 'Norton 360', and 'Norton Ghost' search string Registry remnants.  This remainder of around 130 lines maybe is far from acceptable Uninstall programming.  I realize that the remaining lines may do no harm--it's just sloppy and no one cares because memory and hdd space is no longer any issue, but I at least don't appreciate that nor think much of Symantec for its weak attempt at a solution so far.

However, one other result of these non-removeable remnants are three old Symantec system tray incon/messages that although they stay hidden they remain proof the products were once installed.  I would insist that Symantec (and other developers too) figure out how to get rid of them please.

Message Edited by Ratsneve on 01-27-2009 01:28 AM
trentonclark

[ Edited ]

I also had so much difficulty trying to get rid of Norton 360 in my system. Because of norton 360 still on my system, I have trouble downloading and installing newer versions of Norton application. The only thing that helped me is when I followed this technique to remove norton 360 from registry