Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
360_001

Cleaning (Level of Security)

Norton 360 does a good job of cleaning up unnecessary files caused by web surfing, working with files, etc., but I find nothing about actual levels of permanent removal (DOD, Gutmann, etc.).  Thus, doesn't the file actually still stay on the computer taking up space?  If so, what's the point of running file cleanup?  If there is permanent removal, what is the method?

dickevans

Re: Cleaning (Level of Security)

360_001 wrote:

Norton 360 does a good job of cleaning up unnecessary files caused by web surfing, working with files, etc., but I find nothing about actual levels of permanent removal (DOD, Gutmann, etc.).  Thus, doesn't the file actually still stay on the computer taking up space?  If so, what's the point of running file cleanup?  If there is permanent removal, what is the method?

Hi,

The level of 'cleaning' done by 360 allows the space to be reused while it does not remove the data from each sector. For normal operations this is all that is necessary. Running defrag after doing a mass delete could place data you are sill using in the space that was occupied by a deleted file.

About the only time I'm aware of a real need to make sure that the data has been removed from a drive is when it changes hands. If I sell a used system I do a DOD type of operation on the drive before reloading whatever software I included in the sale.

Stay well and surf safe

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21