Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
NEXIE11

Comcast Constant Guard pop up, blaming Norton for sending pop ups!

how do I stop the Comcast pop up for Constant Guard??  I did not install this software, it is not resident.  Comcast has specifically told me that Norton is sending me these pop ups on behalf of Comcast ??  Here's the actual chat session:

BERNICE: COMCAST IS SENDING THESE POP UPS, THEY CAN STOP THEM AND THEY HAD BETTER BE STOPPED ASAP!

Juneil: I understand how you feel, Bernice. Since Norton has partnered with Comcast, most Norton software have with them Comcast-related ads. Perhaps that's the main reason why you're receiving pop-ups. While Norton Security is included in the Constant Guard protection suite, you have the option to download and install the Norton Security software only.

-------------------------

I do not want to use Comcast to download Norton, I renew directly with Norton yearly.

Thanks in advance for any additional info.

yank
Kudos: 2,145
Solutions: 501

Re: Comcast Constant Guard pop up, blaming Norton for sending pop ups!

Hi NEXIE11,

Can you give us a screenshot of the "Comcast pop up for Constant Guard?

Follow the instuctions for posting a screenshot:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Forum-Tip-How-to-post-screenshots-in-the-forum/td-p/25...

To begin with, I put very little faith in anything Comcast Customer service tells folks:

We need to know if you have Constant Guard Protection Suite installed or not on your system?

You stated you do not use Comcast's free offering of Norton Security Suite - so please tell us which Norton Product you do use and the version of it (main page of Norton > Support > About).

I ask for the screenshot as Comcast also runs a Bot detection program against every customer's system, which contains no opt out capablilty and if the popup is from that, it has nothing to do with Norton and users need to be assisted in some cases by the Comcast Customer Security Assurance organization which has been established to ensure a safe and secure online experience for Comcast customers. This team is a dedicated group of security professionals who respond to issues pertaining to phishing, spam, infected PCs (commonly referred to as "bots"), online fraud and other security issues.

Normal business hours (M-F, 9:00 am to 11:30 pm EST S-S, 10:30 am to 6:30 pm EST)
1 -888-565-4329

Ple4ase provide the info requested and we'll do our best to assist you in identifying and getting those popups to stop.

Visitor
NEXIE11

Re: Comcast Constant Guard pop up, blaming Norton for sending pop ups!

Thank you for your reply.  The Comcast pop up has been occuring on and off for the last weeks, so far not yet today.  As soon as I see it again, I will be sure to do a print screen and post.  I do not have Comcast Constant Guard on my computer.  I believe it is a way of advertising for purchase, or fund Comcast's new security services marketing and sales campaign.  My renewal is within the next 20 days of so and I will renew on line direct with Norton.  I also thought that Comcast may know I am up for renewal and are tyring to get me to purchase this service.  No way!   I freaked when I was told by the Comcast rep duing my chat that it was (more or less) being sent by Norton!  I ran MS Malicious Removal tool which took about 5 hours and found no "bots" or other malicious software.  I too put very little faith in Comcast, I do not even use their email software, I run MS email.

I run Norton 360 Premier Edition, Version 6.4.1.14

I have had Comcast for years (unfortunately) and have never received a "bot" ad.  The pop up contains information noting I have a bot and in order to correct I will need to sign up for Constant Guard.

I hope this pops again, and I will re-post.

Thanks so much for your Reply,

Nexie

Visitor
NEXIE11

Re: Comcast Constant Guard pop up, blaming Norton for sending pop ups! - HERE's THE IMAGE

Got the Comcast popup!comcast pop.jpg

yank

Re: Comcast Constant Guard pop up, blaming Norton for sending pop ups! - HERE's THE IMAGE

Hi NEXIE11,

Thanks for the screenshot:

That is the Concstant Guard Bot notification.  Have you tried the take Action Now?  I'll admit it's not all gravy - you do not need the Constant Guard Protective Suite, nor the Norton Security Suite as you are already running N 360.  I would not load the Imunet, but the Secunia is helpful with keeping up with updates.

The one I do not see mentioned that may help is Am I Botted.

Also here is another bit of info I authored awhile back prior to Comcast getting their info posted (when CG was new).

If you do not find anything I would defineatley  contact the Securtiy Assurance Team:

Normal business hours (M-F, 9:00 am to 11:30 pm EST S-S, 10:30 am to 6:30 pm EST)
1 -888-565-4329

Please let us know how you get on.

Visitor
NEXIE11

Hello there,

Yes, I have tried the "take action now", circles around until you download/buy the software.  No thanks.  When I contacted Comcast they were just pushing to get the download.  After a very thorough Microsoft malware run, I see nothing.  Also, this popup has not appeared in a few days now.  I do think since I am up for Norton renewal, they are popping so I take their service.  That will not happen, I will renew direct with Norton.

I will check the links you provided, so thank you very much.

Comcast is totally offbase interrupting my online activity considering they are my ISP and service is pricey!  However, they are the only ISP in the area.

Thanks again, hope others find these posts helpful.

Nexie

yank

Hi Nexie,

I am also being held a captive by Comcast - being the only broadband in town. 

IMHO, Comcast has no idea that you are running a retail copy of a Norton product, nor do they have any idea as to when that product expires.  Had you been using their "free offering of Norton Security Suite (NSS) - they would be controlling the license, so they may be able to do something with it - but not with your retail copy. 

The AM I Botted link I priovided seems to be very reliable as far as accuracy.

Harikon

I have also been bugged by Comcast/xfinity lately, they have sent me a couple e-mails that my system is botted.

Of course they don't give any info on what system is botted, since if you go to their amibotted page there are only one or two lines of info.

The same message will show up for all your devices when you visit the webpage, and they only give generic names or the name of the group that supposed have made the bot.

I have scanned all my systems with Norton 360 and Microsoft Security essentials full scans with both and nothing.

I have checked the amibotted everyday and get different results depending on the day, some say I am clean, or got this bot, or more than one bot.

The one funny thing I noted was the time the bots were detected, 90% of the time I am not on any of my devices at that time specified.

So I am guessing this is either a comcast business ploy or a false positive, either way it doesn't help people very much.

yank

Hi Harikon,

i would suggest you contact the Securtiy Assurance Team and ask for more information/assistance

Normal business hours (M-F, 9:00 am to 11:30 pm EST S-S, 10:30 am to 6:30 pm EST) 1 -888-565-4329

Please let us know how you get on.

Visitor
NEXIE11

ok, I got the phone number for Comcast corporate 856-507-2628.  I originally sent an email to 'we_can_help@cable.comcast.com' and got a call back from Diane.  I called her three times and no return call.  She left a voicemail and  insisted I have comcast constant guard on one of my computers, and I do not.  I have check 3 times.  This is a marketing ploy by Comcast.  Also, I have read that because you may visit a website that may be responsible for bots or virus', these IP addy's are being held on a list by Comcast and when you visit that site, you get the pop up.  I am responsible for my equipment and I don't need Comcast thinking I need their help to protect my computers.  This is interrupting my work at this point.  Comcast does nothing to help.  Are there any specific complaints that can be filed with anyone else besides Comcast?  This is getting very annoying as the pop up cannot be closed, only dragged off the screen.  At times, it cannot even be draggedn and just sits so nothing can be read on the screen.  There has got to be a solution.