Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Stu Rootkit Eradicator
Rootkit Eradicator
Stu

Re: Comcast Offers Free Norton 360

Ed_in_OR wrote:

Phil_D wrote:
I think it would be important to find out if this version can be updated to 360v4 when it becomes available.

Yes, that is the question that most interests me.

Thanks for taking the time to try it out.

Probably not.

Most ISP just use a security vendor and update it after half a yerar or so. It's the same with Kaspersky and F-Secure for example

"All that we are is the result of what we have thought"
Super Contributor
PaulGo

Visitor
djc_56us

Comcast Norton Security Suite

Is anybody using the new Norton Security Suite offered by Comcast.  Is it the same as 360?  Better?  Worse?

Yaso_Kuuhl
Kudos: 1,438
Solutions: 528

Re: Comcast Norton Security Suite

[ Edited ]
Contributor
k2nnj

Re: Comcast Norton Security Suite

[ Edited ]

I am using it, and it is very good.  It is N360 without the online backup.

Make sure you remove any other anti-virus/security products before installing Norton.  If you are using McAfee, use the MCPR tool after uninstalling McAfee through add/remove programs.  Then reboot the pc, then use the MCPR tool.

Regular Contributor
Ed_in_OR

[ Edited ]

I'm curious if anyone has tried upgrading the free Norton 360 to the recently-released Version 4?

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/Norton-360-v4-is-now-available/td-p/205021

I plan to move to Comcast's offering once my subscription to NIS 2010 expires and am wondering if it will upgrade to the "latest and greatest?"

Thanks.

Super Phishing Phryer
Turbo

[ Edited ]

This is an update to my earlier post (message 10) in this thread. Apparently the person I spoke to in January was either misinformed or overly optimistic. I contacted customer support for the Norton Security Suite again today and this time was told that version 4 is not available for Comcast customers and there is no release date, she said that Comcast customers will be notified when version 4 is available, no telling when that will be though. Considering the huge number of Comcast customers that are looking to upgrade to version 4, the lack of reliable information on this subject is somewhat frustrating.

Regular Contributor
Ed_in_OR

I wonder if you install the version from Comcast, could you then perform an upgrade using the Version 4 file downloaded from Symantec? 

Of course, since this is SECURITY software, you may not wish to mess around with it and potentially mess up your system.

Super Phishing Phryer
Turbo

Ed_in_OR wrote:

I wonder if you install the version from Comcast, could you then perform an upgrade using the Version 4 file downloaded from Symantec? 

Of course, since this is SECURITY software, you may not wish to mess around with it and potentially mess up your system.

According to a poster at the Comcast security forum, this is what you will see if you try that:

A problem has occurred that needs your attention: The upgrade you are attempting to install is not

compatible with the currently installed product. Please contact your internet service provider for the correct upgrade or uninstall the version of the product already on your computer and try again.

Super Phishing Phryer
Turbo

Ed_in_OR, go to the Comcast.net forums website, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Comcast High Speed Internet, then sign in to your Comcast account. After that you should be at the Comcast Support Forums, click on security and antivirus at the top, then scroll down to this thread:  Norton 360 V 4 now available for upgrade for current users.

That will give you some additional info.   ComcastForum