Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
jlkp

Computer won't stop freezing after installing N360

I installed the N360 on both my laptops and now when ever I try to access the internet to freezes and gets so frustrating I just close it.  I have installed and reinstalled and it has not helped.  I am running V6 of the N360 and use Google chrome.  Very unhappy right now with the whole situation.  Can anyone off any suggestions before I just ask for my money back?  Thanks 

huwyngr
Topics: 1,038
Kudos: 2,858
Solutions: 379

Re: Computer won't stop freezing after installing N360

We may be able to help if you can give us a bit more information.

What security software was on the laptops before you installed Norton 360 on them and how did you remove it?

What version of Norton 360 is it? Look in Support / About where the detailed version ID is in the format nn.nn.nn.nnn where n is a number.

Do you get any error messages when they freeze? Do you mean nothing can happen or that it is slow?  Do things not involving the internet work normally?

And ....

How do you connect to the internet -- dial up or broadband or .....

I'm sure someone can help. I'm not sure about the status of Chrome and Norton but someone will know.

Hugh
Visitor
jlkp

MacAfee is what was originally on the laptops and when I installed Norton it said it was removing it.  The problem that I am having is any website that has ads or moving parts freezes.  So when I try to log into things like the banks website it gets locked up for long periods of time and won't move.  I am still trying to locate the exact version ID 

Visitor
jlkp

version 6.2.5.1

I am running it off broadband 

huwyngr

jlkp,

Have you run a full system scan with Norton 360 since this started to happen?

OK -- that will just have run whatever script that McAfee puts into the WIndows Remove Programs and that is not enough sometimes when installing a different brand so most products have a special cleanup tool you can download from their website.

Here's the link to McAfee:

McAfee Products > Info

In that you will see a link to the tool which I won't post here because for safety we don't like people to post active links to exe files!

Download that tool to a place where you can find it (do you have a thumbdrive?) and then you can move it to the other computer and use it there too.

I'm not sure if you can run it from a thumbdrive so copy it onto the second computer drive and run it from there.

Run it a couple of times on each with a reboot inbetween and then see if that makes any difference.

If not and from what you say it may relate to Norton and Chrome which is a browser I don't know anything about. Check to see if it has the equivalent, in its tools and settings options, for managing Add-ons like Java and see if there are any references to Norton / Symantec and disable those for the time being and after closing and opening the browser see if that helps.

Check back for some more specific help from others more familiar with Norton and Chrome

Hugh
huwyngr

<< I am still trying to locate the exact version ID >>

I'm not in N360 but on the top bar you should have at the very right the word Support (or just maybe Help) Click on that and you should then get a list of links one of which is About. Hold the mouse pointer over that and a bunch of number/letter codes will appear and one of those should be Version ID or some similar wording.

You should see something beginning with 5 or 6 or just possibly 18 or 19 and look like 6.2.1.5 

What version of WIndows are you using?

Hugh
Visitor
jlkp

Windows 7 and I ran the live update also as recommended for version 6.2.5.1  

Visitor
jlkp

sorry version is 6.2.1.5

huwyngr

[ Edited ]

OK -- So you are uptodate.

Will you try running that McAfee cleanup tool and see if it helps.

STOP PRESS

After you have cleaned up with the McAffee tool will you run live update until you make sure that you get this update:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/Product-Update-Norton-360-6-3-is-now-available-Windows-8/m... 

I see a reference to a Chrome related fix in there .....

Note the reference to needing a reboot to complete the update.

It may take a while to get through to everyone. Are you in the USA/Canada ?

Hugh
Visitor
jlkp

yes USA