Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Contributor
fritzmom

DNS Changer Malware

Hi All

I just finished reading a newstory on the above named virus. There is a link to a webiste (a partner of the FBI) http://www.dcwg.org . Now, I, the paranoid one, don't want to enter this website without first doing some research.

I've found no mention of this malware on this site, but would like to know if anyone is familiar with it and if N360 and Malwarebytes Free could/should have found it.

Any feedback is more than appreciated

Thank

Barb, the Super Paranoid Computer User

yank
Kudos: 2,158
Solutions: 501

Re: DNS Changer Malware

fritzmom wrote:

Hi All

I just finished reading a newstory on the above named virus. There is a link to a webiste (a partner of the FBI) http://www.dcwg.org . Now, I, the paranoid one, don't want to enter this website without first doing some research.

I've found no mention of this malware on this site, but would like to know if anyone is familiar with it and if N360 and Malwarebytes Free could/should have found it.

Any feedback is more than appreciated

Thank

Barb, the Super Paranoid Computer User

Hi Barb,

Here is some information posted on the Comcast Security Forum in regards to  DNS Changer, it may supply some of the answers to your questions/concerns:  http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/DNS-Changer-Bot-FAQ/m-p/1215341/highlight/true#...

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,797
Solutions: 778

Hi fritzmom,

That is a legitimate site for checking your PC for DNS Changer.  Also see my post here for more information:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Will-Lose-Internet-in-July/m-p/701503...

Regular Contributor
fritzmom

Thanks for the replies....I'll be able to rest easier now.

Barb

Trojan Terminator
Andmike

If you have such (sensible) concerns about a website then you can always check it out on Norton Safe Web (which comes with N360) before you try it.  I did!   ;-)

Regular Contributor
fritzmom

Andmike

Geez I must be getting old & forgetful, didn't even dawn on me to check with Safe Web!

Thanks for the reminder!!!
snoopyfan6200

I want to put everyone at ease and tell them yes this is true. My husband works for an IT company with a very high security clearance and he wouldn't have sent this to me in my email for me to do unless it was true. Me being suspicious as well went to the FBI website and searched for malware and the same information came up. Also, I Googled it and many different news stations including the AP were reporting on this. All you do is click on the green button and if you get a green background come up you are fine. It took 3 seconds for me. Depending on your processor or your ISP connection. If you still have doubt, and that is NOT a wrong thing, please contact your ISP provider. They should be able to help you as well. I hope this helps. :smileyhappy:

huwyngr
Topics: 1,034
Kudos: 2,823
Solutions: 377

Snoopyfan,

I had an intermediate step between the first green button and a result, where I selected a specific checker location.

I came up Green after that but note this at the bottom of the OK screen:

<< Had your computer been infected with DNS changer malware you would have seen a red background.  Please note, however, that if your ISP is redirecting DNS traffic for its customers you would have reached this site even though you are infected.  >>

Anyone know how you determine whether one's ISP is redirecting DNS traffic?

Hugh
SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,797
Solutions: 778

huwyngr wrote:

Anyone know how you determine whether one's ISP is redirecting DNS traffic?

The DCWG detection page includes instructions for manually checking the addresses of the DNS servers that your computer uses, and comparing these to the DNS Changer server addresses posted on the page.  That is undoubtedly the most reliable way to determine if your DNS lookups are going to the affected servers or not.

http://www.dcwg.org/detect/

I think in most cases where an ISP is redirecting DNS traffic, the ISP will have already notified the user about the situation, since the ISP would be clearly aware that the user's DNS lookups were trying to connect to the DNS Changer server IP addresses.

huwyngr
Topics: 1,034
Kudos: 2,823
Solutions: 377

Thanks -- I didn't scoll down to the bottom of the page so didn't see the ISP list. It would make sense if they linked to that when they stress the bit I quoted.

Hugh