Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
77owen
Accepted Solution

Drive B: Other Error

Hello

I am using Windows 7 with a laptop that is about a year old.

Suddenly, today, Norton 360 is telling me I have an issue to fix - disc defragmentation. There's a large, orange Fix Now button. When I click it, I receive the message Drive B: Other Error.

I do not appear to have a drive B. I do not have an external floppy drive (as one post suggested). I have not added or removed any software. My USB ports are used, as they have been for the past year, by my printer, my mouse, & my speaker.

I've read all the other posts that seem to be related to this issue, and either the answers are too general (one had links to Norton resources that had nothing to do with this issue) or too technical (I'm not a computer wiz).

How do I fix this?

Why did this suddenly start today? Nothing has changed to make it start.

Can anyone help me (please)?

Thank you!

huwyngr
Topics: 1,034
Kudos: 2,824
Solutions: 377

Re: Drive B: Other Error

Drives A: and B: are normally reserved by the system for floppy drives which hardly exist any more.

It is just possible that your system uses Drive B: for the hidden restore partition that many computers come with these days instead of a Windows instllation disk.

Could you let me know the make and exact model of your laptop so I can check this out. I need to know the Make, the model name and the code that identifies the specific  version, often a mix of letters and numbers but not the Serial or ID on the plate on the bottom .....

Something like: Compaq Presario CQ56-115DX Notebook

Apart from the popup notice from Norton do you see any ill effects?

Would you also give us some more information about your system:

What version of Windows are you using including Service Packs and whether 32 bit or 64 bit as well as the Name and Version ID of the Norton product that you are using -- Help or Support / About is where that is, in the format of nn.nn.nn.nnn

If you have the COMCAST version of Norton 360 / Security Suite and not the normal commercial version please be sure to tell us.

If you get any error messages please give the exact wording of them as well as any other background that could be helpful.

Hugh
Visitor
77owen

Hello Hugh

I am using Windows 7. I don't whether it's 32 bit or 64. I don't know how to find that out.

I am using Norton 360, version 5.1.0.29

The laptop info: HP G71-340US Notebook. (I that's what you were asking for.)

No, there have been no other ill effects. Just this sudden popup & then the error message (Drive B: Other Error) when I click Fix It Now. The laptop & Norton have been fine for a year, then this started all of a sudden.

If any of the info I gave you is wrong, please let me know (and let me know how to find it). I so appreciate your help!

Michael

Volunteer
yogesh_mohan

You can try these steps re-create the WMI Repository.

1. Click Start > Run.
2. Type the following and click OK.
services.msc
3. The Services window appears. In the right pane, right-click  Windows Management Instrumentation service, and select Stop.

4. Close the Services window.

5. Navigate to the following folder from My Computer:

C:\Windows\System32\wbem

6. Delete the "repository" folder.

7. Click Start > Run.
8. Type the following and click OK.
services.msc
9. The Services window appears. In the right pane, right-click  Windows Management Instrumentation service, and select Start.

10. Restart the computer, and run the Disk Optimization again.

Let us know the results.

Yogesh

huwyngr
Topics: 1,034
Kudos: 2,824
Solutions: 377

[ Edited ]

Michael,

See how you get on with the specific suggestions while I do a bit of research on that laptop and the error. Yes that is the type of ID I needed.

Here's the link to the Support pages on HP for your model --

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=4035651 

There's often useful information there as well as updates to drivers and functions but I'd try to resolve the problem first since itis being reported by Norton rather than by WIndows.

Hugh
Visitor
77owen

Hello Yogesh

That seemed to work! The Norton 360 disk optimaztion smoothly.

Will deleting that "repository" folder" have any consequences? Or is it okay that I deleted it?

Thank you to both members who were helping me. I truly appreciate it. If anything goes awry, I will let you know, but right now, everything is okay,

Thank you, members!

Michael

Volunteer
yogesh_mohan

Hi Michael,

Glad to know that the solution worked for you. There won't be any problem in deleting the repository. The repository seems to be damaged, and that's why I suggested to delete it. Windows will automatically recreate the repository once you restart the computer(last step in the instructions).

Yogesh

Visitor
othoap

Help me be green

My "Windows Management Instrumentation"  stop and run function was ghosted.  I continued ""yogesh_mohan" 10 steps anyways with no luck in resolving the issue.   My laptop has no floppy and my bios shows no reference to a B/floppy.  I think this is nortons trying to optimism one of my USB drives.

I'd tell you the version of 360 I'm running but I can't find it.  According to norton it's up to date.  Norton I'm avalable for hire.  I could help you redesign your UI.  It's go to be one of the more confusing deisgn I've seen.  

My laptop config = Lenovo W700ds 2757CTO | win7-64pro-Sp1 | RAM: 4gb | nvidia quadro fx2700m | CPU: intel Core 2 Duo Centrino vProT9900  3.06 GHz| BIOS: 7ZETA9WW 2.09 

Luvs01

Hi

I'm getting the same Drive B: other error message. I have comcast's 360 Norton. The only way I've ever been able to fix it was to re-down load Norton from comcast.

This only fixes it for a few days. Then it re-appears. I tried the solution up above, and though it did replace my resporitory file[and locked it] the error message did not go away.

Because of this error I cannot run the Drive Optimization.

I never got this error until I switched over from Vista to Windows 7.

Has any other solution, or reason been discovered as to why this is happening.

Thank you

Comp Specs

HP Pavillion model m9160f

64 Bit

Volunteer
yogesh_mohan

[ Edited ]

Hi Luvs01,

Welcome to Norton Community!

The problem can be due to the damaged Windows system files when you upgraded to Win 7 from Vista. Try to run scan/repair for Windows files. Click Start > Run, type SFC /SCANNOW and click OK to scan/repair all system files. Restart the computer and check whether the problem persists. 

If the problem persists, you may have to perform a repair installation of Windows.

Yogesh