Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Reply
Contributor
kiwi-et
Posts: 19
Registered: ‎09-23-2012

Re: Error: 3048, 3 update

 

I have just restarted after turning identity safe off and Norton 360 seems to be crashing (at least the interface is closing). Just trying an experiment with the interface closed.

 

I also notice that the icon vanishes from the task bar but can't tell whether Norton has actually stopped running. I am waiting to see whether I get any errors when I try to do something that requires Norton intervention.

 

When the icons and interface vanish, I can't tell whether the processes have stopped running. None of the processes are clearly identified as Norton. I notice there are unidentified nvxdsync.exe and nvvsvc.exe tasks running. You can possibly identify whether these are Norton processes. The Norton 360 service says it is running when the icon or interface is present but vanishes when the cancel or disappear.

 

I have just tried starting the service from the task manager. This hopefully means that no UI components are open. The service has still stopped. So now I don't think it has anything to do with the identity safe or UI.

 

I am wondering whether I can revert to an older version of Norton 360 that doesn't have these problems.

Newbie
awalters33
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎09-28-2012

Re: Error: 3048, 3 update

I have been receiving the 3048, 3 error code for over a week, as well.  I am NOT using the security vault, however.  We do primarily use firefox.  I have run the power eraser every day, removed and reinstalled norton several times, and continue to get the same error message.  ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

peterweb
Posts: 9,068
Kudos: 1,441
Solutions: 359
Registered: ‎04-17-2008

Re: Error: 3048, 3 update


kiwi-et wrote:

 

I have just restarted after turning identity safe off and Norton 360 seems to be crashing (at least the interface is closing). Just trying an experiment with the interface closed.

 

I also notice that the icon vanishes from the task bar but can't tell whether Norton has actually stopped running. I am waiting to see whether I get any errors when I try to do something that requires Norton intervention.

 

When the icons and interface vanish, I can't tell whether the processes have stopped running. None of the processes are clearly identified as Norton. I notice there are unidentified nvxdsync.exe and nvvsvc.exe tasks running. You can possibly identify whether these are Norton processes. The Norton 360 service says it is running when the icon or interface is present but vanishes when the cancel or disappear.

 

I have just tried starting the service from the task manager. This hopefully means that no UI components are open. The service has still stopped. So now I don't think it has anything to do with the identity safe or UI.

 

I am wondering whether I can revert to an older version of Norton 360 that doesn't have these problems.


If your current version was working and just startrd having problems, I don't think it would help to downgrade,

 

We may be dealing with a hardware issue. There may be a problem with your hard drive.

To check your hard disk, click on the Windows Start button. In the search box type CMD. Right click on cmd.exe and click on run as administrator. In the command prompt type "chkdsk c: /r"  without the quotes. A message will come up asking if you want to check the disk on the next restart. Answer 'Y'. Reboot and the check disk will run before Windows starts up. This check will check the file system as well as the physical disk surface. This scan can take a long time, depending on the size of your hard drive.

Let us know if the scan find anything.

 


Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Contributor
kiwi-et
Posts: 19
Registered: ‎09-23-2012

Re: Error: 3048, 3 update

Running a chkdsk was done early in this process to reveal that there were no problems.

Contributor
kiwi-et
Posts: 19
Registered: ‎09-23-2012

Re: Error: 3048, 3 update

A technician supposedly said my problems were fixed because when he logged into my machine everything was working. Not even five minutes after he logged in I discovered that the Norton 360 service was stopping. When it stops access to the identity safe stops and I am not sure what else stops.

 

If Norton don't have a fix by tomorrow evening, it is either downgrading or looking for an alternative.

Contributor
kiwi-et
Posts: 19
Registered: ‎09-23-2012

Re: Error: 3048, 3 update

Finally progress. I use a source control tools and it seems TortoiseSVN is interfering with Norton 360. Now that we have unistalled TortoiseSVN, Norton 360 seems to be stable.

 

I believe that through this process, there has been a number of problems. Hopefully this is the last and the product will return to being stable.

peterweb
Posts: 9,068
Kudos: 1,441
Solutions: 359
Registered: ‎04-17-2008

Re: Error: 3048, 3 update


kiwi-et wrote:

Finally progress. I use a source control tools and it seems TortoiseSVN is interfering with Norton 360. Now that we have unistalled TortoiseSVN, Norton 360 seems to be stable.

 

I believe that through this process, there has been a number of problems. Hopefully this is the last and the product will return to being stable.


Ah ha.

Tortoise...I have seen and dealt with this one before. Sorry I missed it this time.

 

If things remain stalbe, please come back and mark this thread solved, so others can find the solution

 

.

 

 


Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Contributor
kiwi-et
Posts: 19
Registered: ‎09-23-2012

Re: Error: 3048, 3 update


peterweb wrote:


 

If things remain stalbe, please come back and mark this thread solved, so others can find the solution

 

.

 

 


 

peterweb
Posts: 9,068
Kudos: 1,441
Solutions: 359
Registered: ‎04-17-2008

Re: Error: 3048, 3 update

[ Edited ]

kiwi-et wrote:

peterweb wrote:


 

If things remain stalbe, please come back and mark this thread solved, so others can find the solution

 

.

 

 


kiwi-et
Look for the 'Accept as Solution' button at the bottom right of the post that solved your issue. Even if it is yours.
accept solution.JPG

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Contributor
kiwi-et
Posts: 19
Registered: ‎09-23-2012

Re: Error: 3048, 3 update

There is no "accept as solution" button. I suspect that is because I took over an existing discussion stream.