Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
JimKo
Accepted Solution

FBI MoneyPak Virus

Help,

My home computer has just been infected with the FBI greendot MoneyPak virus.  The virus is demanding $200.

My system is a Dell XPS Gen 4 running Windows XP.

I have Norton 360 on it.

The system is locked up.  Where do I go from here?

Thanks,

Visitor
WBg99

Re: FBI MoneyPak Virus

I too have this flipping problem now.

My system's a custom make on an ASUS Q4 motherboard and it's running Windows Vista, 32 bit.

I've had Norton 360 running, but it looked like it let this one right thru.   My user account is pretty much locked up and the only way I can get out of it is to log out and flip to another user (thank goodness I made a 2nd on my computer!).

Help is needed as a full scan by Norton 360 found 3 viruses, and it said it removed those, but that did nothing.  ESET Rogue (http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN3035) hasn't worked either so far, so please offer solutions if you know this one!!

Thanks in advance.

Bot Obliterator
Quads

JimKo

If you restart the PC and use F8 and select Safe Mode with Networking does the PoliceAlert load??

Quads

Bot Obliterator
Quads

WBg99

with the second account 

Disable Norton for say 30 minutes

Download OTL http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/otl/

Start OTL,  

Click the Scan All Users checkbox.

Change file age to 60 days

Press the 

An OTL.txt  and extras.txt will be created.

Quads

Visitor
WBg99

Okay, I found this on another site as a method.

For Vista, you restart and go with Safe mode with command prompt.

Once there ( and it says you only have seconds before the virus blocks you), you type Explorer

Then with the prompt saying "C:windowssystem32", you type rstrui.exe and hit Enter

That takes you to System Restore where you can go back a few days to a safe point and use the restore point.   Afterwards, a restart and going back to normal mode should take you back to normal conditions.   At least  it did for me and I'd share the link to that page, but unfortunately, I saved it as a favorite and that was wiped out in the system restore.

Good luck!

Visitor
WBg99

Thanks for the reply Quads and even with a system restore, should that be something I'd still want to do, downloading the OTL?

Bot Obliterator
Quads

Users

Do not ask for help and then do your own thing as it screws the system and helpers around.

the PoliceAlert ransomware is now appearing with Zeroaccess and either the MaSS or Pihar partition as a triple hit.

Quads

Bot Obliterator
Quads

WBg99 wrote:

Thanks for the reply Quads and even with a system restore, should that be something I'd still want to do, downloading the OTL?

Do what you like as you are doing your own thing.

Users doing their own thing, I don't touch their system(s), so I am not touching yours

Quads

Bot Obliterator
Quads

WBg99

Don't bother PMing me, you have instead of waiting done your own thing,

I do not touch systems where users have made or changed things since from changing the System, deleting things, (including now my Windows doesn't boot) using advanced programs etc.

Good Luck.

Quads

Visitor
JimKo

My problem has been solved.  The computer has been running normally for the last 24 hours.

As my computer was powering up, I used F8 to enter Safe Mode. 

From there I used System Restore to restore my system to 45 days ago.

I was then able to use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software to remove the virus.  That makes two times that this software has removed a virus that Norton 360 allowed to come thru.

Over the last two days I have done multiple scans with Microsoft Security Essentials.  This software uncovered another hidden virus. 

The latest Norton 360 scans have come up clean as well, but for this virus, I am not sure how excited I should be about this.