Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
blab357

Re: Firefox processes will not end. All posted fixes tried.

Also JohnA my problem is different then yours. Mine goes away when Norton goes away.

I installed Norton 360 2.0 over 1.0, then removed the whole thing using NRT. When the uninstall process was complete, and I had restarted my computer, firefox returned to normal operation. Duplicate processes no longer appeared when I opened and closed windows. I then reinstalled Norton 360 2.0 from scratch and the problem is back. 

Firefox will allow me to load it and close it without any error messages, but each time I do a new process is created in the task manager. After the first process is created, firefox will load blank, without a start page or bookmarks. I would assume its trying to load profile info but it can't access it because the first process is already using the file. 

Firefox will not disappear from the task manager if given enough time. It remains indefinitely, or until I restart or kill the process manually. 

I do not know what to do in this situation. I think that if this problem goes unsolved I may have to move to another antivirus program. 

blab357

I solved the problem!!!

It was norton for sure! in fact it was the norton anti-pishing toolbar that was causing the problem and I would encourage everyone to try the fix.

Its not the ideal solution as it means you pretty much have to remove the norton toolbar from firefox.

To do that go to your  C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\components folder, when there just look for coFFPlgn.dll. If you remove that, you disable the norton toolbar and it solves the problem. 

Phishing Phryer
johna

[ Edited ]

Bravo!

How did you figure that out? Another way of removing the Toolbar is to go into Tools>Add Ons>Norton_Tool_Bar>Disable. This way you don't have to uninstall the whole thing, just disable it. Mine has always been disabled by choice, so I guess this is why I didn't get the same issues.

I think you should bring this up with Symantec, or maybe Tony will read this and give some feedback.

Again, well done.

Edit: I am going to enable the toolbar again and see if I get the same problems. I'll let you know.

Message Edited by johna on 07-22-2008 08:10 PM
Super Spam Squasher
cgoldman

Well, I'm pleased for you too. A little bit of self help. I could not have concluded that from the ltd Dr Watson report, so well done.

Lets see if someone can reproduce the problem when the toolbar is activated and confirm the problem goes away when disabled.

Meanwhile you might like to indicate that your problem is solved by clicking on the icon that appears next to the post in which you said "I solved the problem!!!"

Super Spam Squasher
cgoldman

Sorry, one last question please. Did you install the add-on pack for Norton 360 v2? I just saw something in that Dr Watson - just an idea I want to follow through on. cheers
Phishing Phryer
johna

Blab 357, did you ever try the fix I mentioned in this post: Link . If not, I would suggest you try it because it stopped my FF3 from hanging and sticking around in Task Manager then duplicating itself when you open a new instance of FF. Can you give that a go and let us know, as I have enabled the Norton Toolbar and it makes no difference at all to the functioning of my FF3.

Cheers

blab357

cgoldman: I did install the add-on pack

johna: Yes I did, but none of them worked

The only solution at this point was to remove the norton anti-phishing toolbar from Firefox.

Super Spam Squasher
cgoldman

In that case, and if you would not mind, can I ask that you try one more resolution, just to be sure. I promise this is the end, I only have this one idea which came out of Dr Watson. Its real simple. I will send you a Private Message in due course, when I have 5 spare minutes. Just look out for the message on the top right.
Regular Contributor
reyals

Firefox processes hanging

is the problem with the phishing bar and FF3.0.1 and the result of hanging processes solved?? since I really want to upgrade to FF3 but I didn't do it yet because of the problems N360 is causing with these zombie processes.

anyone who has an answer to this?

Regular Contributor
reyals

Re: Firefox processes hanging

[ Edited ]

using the updated version to 2.4.0.4 and still this problem remains. Also the ccSvchst.exeerror when shutting downstill remains.

edit: I disabled N360 2.4.0.4 Anti-Phishing in the N360 Settings, played a little with Firefox 3.0.1, closed FF, and the process quit. Enabled the Anti-Phishing again, tried some sites in Firefox, closed FF again, and the problem seems solved. I'll place my bet on a problem with the Anti-Phishing toolbar as the source of  the problem.

So the solution is: Disable the Anti-Phishing toolbar, after that restart firefox, check out a few sites, and close firefox. after that I choose Fix problems in N360, so N360 Anti-Phishingbar was activated again.The problem seems to be gone (at least for now) but I'll try to recreate it.

edit2: I still get the hanging process firefox.exe. The problem occurs when you open more tabs in FF. if you open a lot of tabs ( or open and close a lot) say 5 tabs the process hangs. If I don't use tabs the process stops.
Maybe someone at Symantec can take a look at this?
Message Edited by reyals on 09-22-2008 01:57 PM