Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
ghines

Full Scan Speed

I recently bought a new computer with Windows 8.  Before that I was using Vista.  I run a full scan once a week and it used to take about an hour on the Vista system but on the Windows 8 system it takes three or four hours, sometimes more (I now leave it running overnight).  The number of files is about the same (1.4m) so I don't understand why it takes significantly longer.

I also have a Windows 7 systems and the full scan on that is as fast as the Vista scan used to be.

dickevans

Re: Full Scan Speed

Welcome,

A couple of questions; Did you have a trail version of a security program on the new system? How was it removed? Do you currently have any other security software installed? Which version of 360 are you running?

Thanks

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
Visitor
ghines

The new system had McAfee installed and I used its uninstall program to remove it.  I don't have any other security software installed (to my knowledge).  I have Norton 360 Premier Edition (v21.1.0.18).

yank
Kudos: 2,154
Solutions: 501

Hi ghines,

Please run the MCPR tool listed in Step 2 (about hapf way down the page) in the following link:

https://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331

Please let us know how your scan reacts after runing the tool and rebooting.

Visitor
ghines

Thanks for the suggestion.  I downloaded the MCPR tool, ran it and re-booted.  I started a full scan about four hours ago and it has so far processed just over 1m files in that time, which is no faster than before.

The disk utilisation is at or close to 100% (which I sort-of expect given that virus scanning must be disk-intensive) and CPU utilisation at about 5%.  It's a desktop Dell with an i7-4770 CPU running at 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM and 64bit Windows 8, so a reasonably powerful machine. I do have Intel Rapid Storage Technology installed with accelleration provided by an SSD.

Is there something strange about Windows 8 disk access that would make this slow?  I don't have any problems with other disk-intensive applications (Photoshop, backup software).