Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
GL3N

Guest unable to access Home Wireless Network after Norton installation

Our grandson is unable to access our wireless network after we installed Norton.  He has the same device and there were no setting changes made to our Cisco router.  I am unable to resolve the problem.  Has anyone else experienced this and if so, how was it resolved?

Visitor
vanilla

Re: Guest unable to access Home Wireless Network after Norton installation

[ Edited ]

Exactly the same thing here, the only thing that worked for me was to change the name of my wireless network and change the password

Visitor
GL3N

Thank you for your response and taking the time to help with this matter.  I will follow your suggestions to change the network name along with the password.

peterweb
Kudos: 1,359
Solutions: 340

GL3N wrote:

Our grandson is unable to access our wireless network after we installed Norton.  He has the same device and there were no setting changes made to our Cisco router.  I am unable to resolve the problem.  Has anyone else experienced this and if so, how was it resolved?

Can you confirm it is Norton Zone you installed that seems to have changed something?

This sounds more like a Network setting rather than a Norton Zone setting.

Was your son able to connect before?

What operating systems are you using on your devices.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Symantec Employee
wwelty

To help ensure we have clarification did you specifically install Norton Zone or another Norton product? If it is a different Norton product which one?

Wesley Welty
Technical Support Manager
www.symantec.com
Visitor
GL3N

The product I purchased and installed was Norton 360.  My operating system is Windows 7 Home Premium.  I am using a Cisco Wireless Router.  There were no settings changed in the home network before or after installing Norton 360.  Our grandson was able to connect to our "guest" network numerous times before the Norton 360 installation.  He is using the same device that he was able to connect with for the previous two years.  I change the guest login password each time he visits as a security precaution.  My computer is a Dell Vostro 1015 which is 2 years old.

peterweb
Kudos: 1,359
Solutions: 340

GL3N wrote:

The product I purchased and installed was Norton 360.  My operating system is Windows 7 Home Premium.  I am using a Cisco Wireless Router.  There were no settings changed in the home network before or after installing Norton 360.  Our grandson was able to connect to our "guest" network numerous times before the Norton 360 installation.  He is using the same device that he was able to connect with for the previous two years.  I change the guest login password each time he visits as a security precaution.  My computer is a Dell Vostro 1015 which is 2 years old.

I trust my family members so I just set them up with my regular wifi password. It does nothing when they are not connected to your network.

What security software did you have before installing Norton 360? How did you remove that? You need to ensure that it was fully removed using the removal utility for that software.

As you have identified you installed Norton 360, I have asked this thread be moved to the 360 board of this forum where you will have better exposure to other 360 users.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Symantec Employee
wwelty

Is your grandson using a device he's bringing with him or one of your computers already connected to the network?

If its his own device Norton 360 would likely have no role in it since he'd be connecting direct to the router. Norton 360 only protects the machine it's installed on and wouldn't interact with the wifi router.

Wesley Welty
Technical Support Manager
www.symantec.com
Regular Contributor
intesec

Hi GL3N

Can your grandson’s device connect wirelessly to another network other than yours as you say other members of the family use your wifi but you are only having trouble with your grandson’s device?

ATB

intesec