Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
fluff29

Help- Cannot uninstall or open norton 360 which was re-installed remotely by symantec last week

Hi

360 was reinstalled by Norton on-line help last week.  Managed to get internet access the following day but now  have no internet.

Contacted AOL.  They tried various things.  They said that netgear router was corrupt & to call netgear and to state that no IP address could be obtained. 

Tried a lot of things with netgear.  They eventually think that the Norton firewall is causing the prob.  Tried to disable norton firewall but Norton will not fire up with either the icon on the desktop or in the program files.  I have tried to uninstall the norton icon within uninstall programs but it says that no file path can be found.

Any ideas on how I can uninstall Norton without internet access?

AOL is sending out another router but I am concerned that I am unable to access norton.  Is this normal to not be able to access norton when no internet access is available?

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Could I disable norton via software explorer in vista?  but would this just leave norton dormant in my laptop with me being unable to ever delete it?

Thanks

Fluff

dbrisendine
Kudos: 1,292
Solutions: 263

Re: Help- Cannot uninstall or open norton 360 which was re-installed remotely by symantec last week

You may have to do this on a different computer (to download the file and transfer it to the non-connecting one) but please download the following and run a scan with it.  Save the log file and copy it back here for review.  Thanks.
Please download SysProt here http://sites.google.com/site/sysprotantirootkit/  (direct link for latest version is at the bottom of the page), disable Norton's Auto-Protect feature (Settings > Real Time Protection > Auto-Protect > Off) and run SysProt.

Choose the Log tab and select all the items in the Write to log box. Then select Create Log to start scanning. When it is done, a message window will appear with the location of the log file.

Please attach the log file to a post here; the Add Attachments links is below the orange Post button. Thanks
Win7 x32 SP1 NIS 21.1.0.18
Visitor
fluff29

Re: Help- Cannot uninstall or open norton 360 which was re-installed remotely by symantec last week

Hi dbrisendine

Thanks for the quick reply.  I will be unable to disable norton's auto-protect on my personal laptop as I cannot access norton.  I am on my work pc at the moment.  

I bumped into one of the IT guys at work.  He has suggested that I go to a restore point before I had norton updated last wednesday.  Would this action cause any other problems or could I give this a try first. 

I will be unable to download the program that you advised until the weekend (when I can get to the library).  I am unable to get access to another PC and my work pc will not accept a memory stick.

Thanks

Fluff

Volunteer
yogesh_mohan

Hi Fluff,

You can try to flush your DNS and resetting the winsock. 

1. Click Start > Run, type  ipconfig /flushdns and click OK.

2. Click Start > Run, type  cmd and click OK.

3. in the command prompt, type the following and press Enter after each line:

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt [Enter]
netsh winsock reset
[Enter]

exit [Enter]

You can also check your connectivity by starting your computer in Safe mode with Networking.

1. Restart your computer.

2. As soon as the computer starts, tap the F8 key about once per second until you see the Windows Advanced Options menu.

3. Use the arrow keys on the keyboard to select Safe Mode with Networking, and then press Enter.

4. Click Yes to proceed to Safe mode.

5. Check whether you are able to connect. If you can connect, try to download Norton Removal Tool using this LINK and run it. 

Otherwise, you can download the removal tool to any other computer, and then transfer it to your computer via CD/Flashdrive. Let us know the results.

Yogesh

Visitor
fluff29

Hi Yogesh

I am going to try your suggestions first of flushing the DNS, resetting the winsock and I have copied the norton removal tool onto a flashdrive to put on my laptop.  I will that re-install the router and see if these fixes allow it to re-install. (Netgear removed both my wireless addresses so I now only have an unsecured router and I think the easiest way would be to reinstall with the AOL disk)

I having no further success that I will create the log as previously stated.

Thanks again everyone and have a nice weekend.

Fluff

floplot
Topics: 209
Kudos: 2,014
Solutions: 361

Hi fluff

You could check to see if the router has an update that you could install perhaps.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

Visitor
fluff29

Hi there everyone

I managed to get rid of norton with the removal tool - thanks for that link Yogesh.

I tried to flush the DNS, but did not work for the following reasons:-

When I tried to do it the way that Yogesh said, it cames back with the message "cannot find flushdns".

When I opened the command box and typed in ipconfig/flushdns it said "the requested operation requires elevation". 

I did not know the meaning of either of the above so I did not progress any further.

With regards to resetting the winsock.  After looking on the internet at work, I was reluctant to try this as it said that it was a last resort to do this.  I found the manual steps to determine whether the winsock2 key is corrupt for vista.  There should apparently be ten sections which appear under protocol.  I have more than ten.  MSAFD NetBIOS has maybe around 10 entries whereas on the instruction that I read, there should only be 6 entries which start with the above.  Is this any cause for concern?

After uninstalling norton.  I switched on my router (which is unsecure at the moment after netgear deleted the wireless names last week).  When I clicked on the connectivity box in the bottom right hand corner, it asked if I wanted to connect in home, work or other setting. I chose home setting.

I now have a local connection.

I then started internet explorer and typed in the address for the router. 

I was then asked for user name and password.  I am unsure what is being asked for here.  Is it my old wireless username, am I being asked to set up a new wireless name or is this asking for the router username and password?

I may now need to contact AOL.  Does it look like I may have connection?

Thanks

Fluff

Contributor
dazza-n360

I would not say that you have Internet. Anyone can type in the IP address of their router and access the information it contains. Until you have a Internet connection (i.e. one that is not Local Only) you will only be able to access your router and pages which are local to your network

Symantec Employee
JerryM

Hi fluff29,

Welcome to the Community!

Please let us know if your issue has been resolved.

Were you succesfully able to install and use Norton 360?

Thanks,

JerryM

Norton Forums Moderator

Symantec Corporation

Visitor
fluff29

Hi everyone

Just to let you know that I now have internet connection.  I had to uninstall the norton 360 completely.  AOL got me back on line last next with my wireless name, etc.  I will not be reinstalling Norton (runs out at the end of December anyway). 

I am looking at AVG.  Would anyone recommend this?  Is there good advantages of the paid over the free version?

Many thanks for everyone's help and advice.  Greatly appreciated.

Fluff