Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
bruceva

How do I disable Norton 360?

I want to temporarily disable all activity from Norton 360.  My computer is periodically slowing down to the point of unusability, and all analysis to date indicates the culprit is Norton.  I want to validate this theory before I uninstall the software, but I can't find any way to disable the software.  Is there a way to do this?

peterweb
Kudos: 1,359
Solutions: 340

Re: How do I disable Norton 360?

[ Edited ]

bruceva wrote:

I want to temporarily disable all activity from Norton 360.  My computer is periodically slowing down to the point of unusability, and all analysis to date indicates the culprit is Norton.  I want to validate this theory before I uninstall the software, but I can't find any way to disable the software.  Is there a way to do this?

Welcome

Firstly, be very careful if you do disable 360 functions as you leave yourself vulnerable. Ideally you should physically disconnect from the internet while you test.

If you right click the Norton icon in you system tray at the bottom right, you will see options to disable the functions. Click one and accept the option for the shortest time. Test and then reset the functions.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
bruceva

peterweb,

Thanks so much for the quick reply!  I realized belatedly that I didn't fully explain my aims - I don't just want to shut off the functionality, I want to completely remove it from memory, and then manually restart it if/when I choose.  (Yes, I'm aware of the risks.)  How do I shut it down completely (without actually uninstalling it from my disk)?

DavidThomas88
Topics: 133
Kudos: 51
Solutions: 20

hi 

this go in too your settings and start turning things off 

peterweb
Kudos: 1,359
Solutions: 340

bruceva wrote:

peterweb,

Thanks so much for the quick reply!  I realized belatedly that I didn't fully explain my aims - I don't just want to shut off the functionality, I want to completely remove it from memory, and then manually restart it if/when I choose.  (Yes, I'm aware of the risks.)  How do I shut it down completely (without actually uninstalling it from my disk)?

You cannot fully stop the program from running. There is code in the program to stop anyone from doing this, so malware has no way to disable things.

All you can do is disable individual functions, but you will always have the main program running, but that in itself should not slow down your computer.

The only way would be to uninstall. Again if you go that route, be sure you disconnect from the internet first. You will obviously not be able to test browser activity this way.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Super Spyware Scolder
RoloX2

I would look at anything and everything else for the cause of slow-downs before looking at N360 for the reasons already mentioned (vulnerability and a painful troubleshooting measure) and that N360 is--if not the fastest, one of the fastest security programs available.

What does Resource Monitor show when your system is bogged?  What processes are running?  What is your system's specs?

\\ZAPHOD: Win7x64pro; 4.2GHz Sandy Bridge; 8GB DDR3-2133; Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, 2xGTX580 SLI; Crucial m4 128GB SSD (64GB RST cache); WD 2002FAEX; Seagate 2TB LP, 500GB 7200.10; Enermax Galaxy Evo 1250W; APC RS1500; Antec 1200 | Beta box \\BEEBLEBROX: Win7x64ult; 3GHz Conroe; 4GB DDR2-900; Gigabyte P965-DQ6v3.3, GTX260; 5x250GB WD Blue 4xRAID0; Enermax Platimax 600w; APC RS1500; Antec 902
Visitor
icedcougar

I'm having a similar issue.

It was triggered once norton wanted me to renew (so i bought a cd off the web as it's cheaper) and since its <30 days it has been using up exactly 50% CPU usuage at all times. (using the windows task manager and showing all processes from all users).

As much as having code around to stop it from being shut down is nice... when it uses 50% of CPU, it really is not acceptable by any standards... it is almost a CPU denial of service attack from a service which is meant to protect.

Security and performance go hand in hand... something that is overlooked far to often.

I have shut down all the functionality to a 15 minute period but this has not changed it from using 48-52% at all times.

So, where to from here?