Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
dickevans

Re: Identity Safe autofill not working with Firefox 4.0

And I'll second that!

A 25 year user of Norton/Symantec products

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
Contributor
panther68

[ Edited ]

Then all I can say is, "Oh, how you've been deceived."  If you ACTUALLY believe that Symantec, or any other company, for that matter, doesn’t tell lies, then you have a lot to learn.  There isn’t a single company in existent that hasn’t told lies.  It’s a matter of business, and in order to survive, ALL companies have to tell lies.  Using the Firefox 3.5 upgrade as an example, once again, Symantec didn’t have the 5-month advance notice that they had this time around, yet they were able to rewrite the APIs, have it fully tested, and released it, in less than a month.  This time around, they had five months, which means they had four months longer than the previous API issue.  If the majority of those writing plug-ins for Firefox were able to update their APIs in advance of the final release of Firefox 4.0, then there is absolutely NO reason why Symantec wouldn’t have been able to do the same.

Not only that, but considering Symantec is working with greater manpower than the individual programmers that write the great majority of API plug-ins for Firefox, it SHOULD have taken Symantec even less time than it took others.  Maybe it might help if you knew my dad, who retired two years ago, worked as a programmer-analyst for an IBM subsidiary for almost 30 years, and even he agrees.  He knows more about programming than you will ever know, so, please, do NOT try and tell me that I don’t know what I speak of, because I am very well aware of what it should have taken Symantec, in terms of programming time.  Again, there is absolutely NO reason why their rewritten API, for the Toolbar, as well as ID Safe, couldn’t have been completed, tested, and released, in advance of Firefox 4.0 being released.

Contributor
panther68

Not only was Rome built faster, it lasted longer...LOL

Visitor
RickinVirginia

[ Edited ]

What a JOKE, except it IS NOT FUNNY! It's not like Symantec didn't know about the new versions of IE and FF, but OH NO, the autofill STILL WILL NOT WORK! Not a very professional image, I must say. What IS kind of funny is that when I entered the forum, there was a pop up that asked if I wanted to participate in a service survey. I SURE WOULD!!!! But first I have to enter my email and name and, well, that's NO PROBLEM because my faithful autofill will make that so easy and......OH, that's RIGHT, autofill DOESN'T WORK which is why I wanted to leave a  response in the first place.  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Contributor
fisherka1

Thanks for your help.  I am back to normal now.  I will definetly do more research before upgrading to newer versions in the future.

Contributor
fisherka1

I went back to Firefox 3.6.16 until I feel more confident all of the compatability issues between FF 4.0 and Norton 360 have been fixed.  Will there will be any communication to Norton 360 users when the fixes are in place and everything is working  properly?

huwyngr
Topics: 1,000
Kudos: 2,713
Solutions: 368

Panther,

You can call people liars if you wish -- I do not choose to do so.

Since I don't know you from Adam I wouldn't dream of telling you what you do or do not know nor reflect on your Dad's competence .... even if you who don't know Norton staff are happy to do just that ....

As for myself, I started in QC for High Technology in 1950 after wartime service in the US Army Signal Corps doing repair on combat equipment.  I started using computers back in the late 1970's and have been doing online support almost as long, including incidentally for IBM Thinkpads, Lotus Software, HP Hardware and computing in general and I've been active here since 2008. So I've a fair background in what's involved in complex technical situations.

I'm not a Symantec employee nor do they pay for what we do here. I have a very high respect for them, for their honesty and willingness to tell us what is going on, within the limits of commercial sensitivity, and this is well known by those who have been here for any length of time.

I'm not saying people are wrong to be upset but there are a few things that seem to me to be being ignored.

Firstly, everyone seems hypnotized by the date "May" in the first announcement giving a report on the problem and is ignoring further detailed messages in the forums indicating that the fix will come out when it is ready and tested and not on some specific date.

Secondly, everyone is focused on the length of time "Norton has had" since the first release of Firefox work in progress files but overlooks that what really matters are not any changes Firefox made 5 or more months ago but any they made in the days before going RTM (let alone any that may have crept in after that announcement .... which does happen as for example Microsoft themselves have indicated in blogs happened after Windows 7 went gold) ... those are the ones that can cause problems just as easily as earlier ones. Because of knock-on effects they can be even more difficult to deal with since working around them can undo work-arounds that have been applied to earlier problems. Security programs dig so deep into the operating system that they are more prone to be affected and cause upsets than most other programs.

And if you add into this that during all of this Microsoft, who control the operating system, are busy changing it so that the environment etc there at the beginning on which the applications depend is no longer the same, it's a wonder to me that anything works when it does ....

If you don't think that changes in Windows matter do a search here on Norton 360 & PowerDesk & context menu and see how an announced to partners change by Microsoft that Microsoft themselves did not immediately implement caused PowerDesk to crash when Microsoft eventually did implement it and how initially it appeared to be due to Norton 360 which had implemented it but turned out to be due to PowerDesk lagging behind ....

If anyone honestly thinks that Norton and their staff around the world, not just in the USA, sat on their .... hands doing nothing for months then they can have no idea of reality. If you think they are deliriously happy at the present situation, why should they be?

Since there is a workaround in staying with Firefox 3.6 a little longer why don't we all get on with life? However loud you shout the problem will still be fixed when it is fixed and released when Norton's QC decide it is ready to go ..... and that does not, in any commercial organization I know, mean when it is 100% perfect because nothing ever is and someone will always break it ...

Hugh
Spyware Scolder
pehhawaiiisland

Firefox has a great password manager. I finally got it working with Firefox 4. Slowly things are going good but a long way to go with FF4.Nothing breaks a browser like a buggy plugin/extension.Norton take your time and get it right.Thanks.paul
Contributor
panther68

[ Edited ]

@ fisherka1

Starting with you, I am glad you were able to get back to FF 3.6.16, and with everything intact.  You are most welcome.  I can’t say whether, or not, Symantec will inform people when the new API is ready for download.  Considering the fact that they never bothered to inform people when it was ready for FF 3.5, despite the fact that they said they would do so (yet ANOTHER lie from Symantec tech support personel, which, to huwyngr, is just one example of how Symantec HAS lied to its customers in the past), so, my suggestion would just be to Google the topic on…say…a weekly basis, until they state that it has been released.  I can’t guarantee that this will provide the answer, but this is a URL that might, very well give the answer, at least in the end:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/Norton-compatibility-with-IE9-and-FF4/td-p/420024

it is the N360 & NIS 2011 thread informing people that they are “working on it”, and, I suspect, where the information might be once the plug-in is finished.

@ RickinVirginia

My suggestion is, at least for now, as I have suggested to others, uninstall FF 4, and reinstall FF 3.6.16, and, as I suggested to fisherka1, immediately above, check the link I provided on a weekly basis, at least until the update has been released.

@ pehhawaiiisland

While FF 4 might have a password manager, if it’s the same one as was used in FF 3.x, it’s not as secure as the one included in Norton’s Identity Safe.  In addition, FF doesn’t securely store your personal information, which can, if you so choose, include your name, address, phone number, birthdate, and even credit/debit card information for multiple cards.  All of this can be secured not only with a master password, but you have the option of setting it so that the password is needed every time FF opens for the first time after booting your system up, every time you open FF (even during multiple FF start-ups during the same system operational period, or each time such information needs to be entered on any website (yes, that might sound monotonous, but being able to enter the same password each time, with it knowing the correct information for each of them, is a lot better than having to manually enter all the information each, and every, time it is needed.

@ huwyngr

Finally, leaving you for last, to start with, I wasn’t calling you, or any individual, a liar.  What I DID say is that companies…ALL companies…lie.  Think, honestly, to yourself.  If companies told us the pure truth for everything they offered, do you REALLY think people would buy their products/services?  Of course not.  As with you, my introduction to computers was also in the late 1970’s (IBM 500-Series mainframes, to be exact).  I have also worked in the industry, and as such, I have my own personal experiences, as well as the knowledge from many others.

I'm not a Symantec employee nor do they pay for what we do here. I have a very high respect for them, for their honesty and willingness to tell us what is going on, within the limits of commercial sensitivity, and this is well known by those who have been here for any length of time.  As for a release date of the patch, you will not find, anywhere, within my comments, have a mentioned “May”, or any other specific month.  The only time-based comment I made mention of was, when I asked the technician when the update could possibly be expected, his comment, and what I did state was his comment, was, “I don’t know.”

In regards to the 5-month lead I mentioned, yes, it’s obvious that Mozilla made changes during that period, although what I’ve stated has nothing to do, specifically, with that.  The changes they made had very little, if anything, to do with how APIs would interact with the new browser.  If this were the case, others (again, individuals, as well as companies, such as Google & Adobe) wouldn’t have had fully finished AND tested API updates already available for download, BEFORE FF 4 was released, I might add.  There is little difference in how the Google & Norton Toolbars function, yet the Google Toolbar was already updated AND tested.

Lastly, as for your comments regarding Microsquish (my favorite name for them, as they are the company everyone loves to hate, yet, at the same time, we know we can never, unfortunately, do without), I will leave those alone…for what should be obvious reasons, due to my “Microsquish” name for them (thank you, VERY much, Berkeley Breathed).

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,675
Solutions: 759

[ Edited ]

panther68 wrote:

Considering the fact that they never bothered to inform people when it was ready for FF 3.5, despite the fact that they said they would do so (yet ANOTHER lie from Symantec tech support personel, which, to huwyngr, is just one example of how Symantec HAS lied to its customers in the past),

Not true.  Symantec did announce the FF3.5 fix.:

Norton Toolbar Support for Firefox 3.5 Hot Fix Released!