Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
michaelpavesi

Identity Safe information transfer

How do i transfer my identity safe information from my old computer to this new one?

yank
Kudos: 2,154
Solutions: 501

Re: Identity Safe information transfer

Hi michaelpavesi,
The following should help you, if you need more info - you know where to find us! :smileywink:

EXPORT Identity Safe Data

If you use Identity Safe, before you uninstall N 360 you will want to go into Settings > Identity Protection > Log into Identity Safe by clicking on Configure (if not already logged-in) You will be interested in the Backup Identity Safe Data option - you can click on Configure and will be permitted to browse your system for a location to save the data to. You can create an Identity Safe BU folder in my Documents or on your desktop - but the choice of location is yours. Select a location you will remember.

IMPORT Identity Safe Data.

Once N360 is installed, go back to the Identity Protection Settings page (above) and Select Restore Identity Safe Data by clicking configure. If you set a password when you saved the data, enter that password, the location of where you saved the data and then click OK. Your Identity Safe data should be restored to what you had before you uninstalled Norton.

These are the basic instructions, I would sugest you export (backup) to an external source (USB Drive) and then import (restore)  to your other system.
Visitor
michaelpavesi

It seems I should have told you that I had Nortion Internet Security on my old computer and a 360 upgrade for this computer.  I exported a DAT file to a flash drive and 360 is looking for a different file.

What do I need to do now?  thanks.

Symantec Employee
prasanna_a

Hi,

What is the version of the NIS product? Is that 2012 version?

Regards,

Prasanna

yank
Kudos: 2,154
Solutions: 501

michaelpavesi wrote:

It seems I should have told you that I had Nortion Internet Security on my old computer and a 360 upgrade for this computer.  I exported a DAT file to a flash drive and 360 is looking for a different file.

What do I need to do now?  thanks.

Yes, unfortunately the ID safe data format has changed between 2011 and 2012.  It had been an .npm in 2011 and is currently .dat in 20112.

Perhaps this thread will tell you something you can use:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Come-ON/m-p/552644/message-uid/552644...

Visitor
michaelpavesi

I think it is 2011, but how do I determine that for certain?

Symantec Employee
prasanna_a

Hi,

Just click on Support->About on the main UI and let us know what is the version you see there.

To add, N360 5.0 accepts CSV and NPM formats only and DAT format is the one which was introduced only in our 2012 products. Can you just confirm if that's actually DAT which was exported?

If the Norton Internet Security was 2011, then take a backup in NPM format and just try importing the data here in N360 5.0.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Prasanna

Visitor
michaelpavesi

The version is 19.2.0.10

Symantec Employee
prasanna_a

HI,

Then it would not be possible to import DAT into N360 5.0

As pointed out by Yank, backward compatibility is not supported.

Regards,

Prasanna

Visitor
michaelpavesi

I find it disappointing that I cannot upgrade to a more expensive Norton product and not be able to easily transfer critical information.  It appears I can export a CSV file from NIS.  Can I import that into 360?