Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
kittykat8103

Installed Norton 360, Computer now running slow + Programs

I just installed Norton 360 V.4.2...a couple days ago. My computer now runs slower (I already did the comprehensive scan too). But that's not even my biggest issue. It's like conflicting with other programs, and these programs are general Windows programs. For instance, Microsoft Office Word keeps freezing up, and it takes forever to type anything. Videos... videos are choppy and run slow, even on Windows Media Player. Also, on the internet if I'm typing something on a site it types really slow. I have done the regular scan and the comprehensive scan. I also use Vista 32 bit home edition if that makes a difference.

delphinium
Kudos: 2,956
Solutions: 293

Re: Installed Norton 360, Computer now running slow + Programs

Was there any other security software installed on your machine before you installed N360?  If so, how was that removed? 

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain
Visitor
kittykat8103

Yes, I had McAfee, and it was through Comcast, we get it for free through them. But then Comcast switched to the Norton, so we had to install that, and here's what it did... When you go to install the Norton the first thing it'd do is uninstall the previous antivirus... then when it's done you reboot and it installs the Norton. I even checked my programs to make sure McAfee wasn't there.

Volunteer
yogesh_mohan

Similar conflicts may happen if some of the Mcafee components are still present in the computer. Let us know how you removed the Mcafee program. If you have not used their removal tool, I would suggest you to run the removal tool mentioned in the Mcafee Web site.

Run the Norton removal tool first, then run this Mcafee removal tool from the Mcafee Web site multiple times and reinstall Norton program. Check whether the issue persists and let us know the results.

floplot
Topics: 210
Kudos: 2,022
Solutions: 361

Hello kittykat8103

After running the 2 removal tools as was suggested, please get a fresh download of the program from Comcast also to make sure that your original download wasn't corrupt and then run several live updates to get the latest updates. There might have been left overs inside where you can't see them without special programs.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

Visitor
kittykat8103

Thanks guys, I will do that. As for the download from Comcast they don't send it to me, you have to go to the site and download it from there, so it'd be the same download, but I did do two runs of live update already too. I'll do the two removal tools and reinstall the Norton, do all the steps again, and we'll see what happens. Thanks again.

floplot
Topics: 210
Kudos: 2,022
Solutions: 361

Hello kittykat8103

Yes, I know that Comcast doesn't send you the download. I know you have to go to the Comcast site to get a new download. I am suggesting to go to Comcast and get a new download of the program because I feel it's always best to use a fresh download of a program just in case there might have been some slight change in the download or perhaps something may have influenced the original download.

Please come back and let us know how you made out though. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

Visitor
kittykat8103

I know what you're saying, and oh yeah, I'll let you know ;). Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.