Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
Rhino1178
Accepted Solution

Internet Explorer Home Page Hijacked

[ Edited ]

My Internet Explorer (ver 9) home page keeps resetting to Quick Quotes Insurance after each boot up. I have norton 360 which detects nothing after 3 full scans....If I disable svhost in Norton start up manager it stops for one boot only then is back again...

Please help to remove this malware...I have scaned with two different malware programs as well and nothing

I have been searching online and many others have the same issue...Norton says i got it through a Utorrent.exe download 10 days ago...It names the file and gives me a path but I still can not find it to remove it.

Please help, as I'm worried about losing financal info as i do alot online.

Thanks

Rhino1178 

delphinium
Kudos: 2,965
Solutions: 293

Re: Internet Explorer Home Page Hijacked

What is the name of the file and path that Norton is reporting?  Is there an actual infection name reported?

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain
Visitor
Rhino1178

Norton does not list it as a virus...Its just in the start up program list on Norton...The file is listed as svhost.exe and the path is Computer / HP (C:) / Program Files / Microsoft....But when I look the file is not there to remove...Its invisible I guess...If I turn it off in the start up program list in Norton My Internet Explorer works the first time opened but is back to listing Quick Quotes Insurance after that and after each boot up....

I tried reinstalling the explorer and its still there...I even tried running back up but after the first boot its back again as well...

The file name svhost.exe does not come up when I search it or go to the file address as listed from Norton...The Norton start menu programs list is actually the only place that I can see it ....

Norton lists the origin of the file as (File source) utorrent.exe -- (File Created) codes.exe -- (File Created) svhost.exe....This was downloaded 10 days ago.....Yes.... I did it while opening a torrent file..My bad....

Just don't know how to get rid of this one ... Its pretty sneaky....

I have been looking at other posts while searching the net for solutions and some say to get rid of it through Msdos or Msconfig or whatever but that's a bit past my computer expertise and I don't want to end up with a boat anchor.

Please help if you can as I reluctant it install any more malware as I don't want any conflicts with my Norton

bobbieacuti

I'm having the same problem.  But its happening across all three browsers that I use.  I have FireFox and Safari and both of those also default the home page to a Quick Quote insurance web search screen.  I have tried to go into the Internet Options of all three and reset the home page in the tools section and that works until I shut down the PC.  As soon as the computer reboots, I have that QQI Home page search screen again.  I also haven't gotten any warning from Norton.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Bobbie

Visitor
Rhino1178

Still have no solution...Ive tried everything and it still comes back after every reboot....Norton Identifies the file but when i back track the path its not there...I thought someone through Norton My be able to help seeing its getting past there protection system, but nothing as of yet....Ive searched the internet and the problem seems to be growing....Hope some one comes up with a fix before something worse happens.....

Thanks for posting maybe if more peolpe did Norton might pay attention

Rhino1178

delphinium
Kudos: 2,965
Solutions: 293

Have you checked in Internet Explorer add-ons for an added search function?  Also check in add remove programs for an accidentally downloaded application.  That can happen and often does, quite easily.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain
bobbieacuti

I just checked both of those places, based upon your suggestions and still no luck.

Super Phishing Phryer
Turbo

Check this thread:  BleepingComputer

Visitor
Rhino1178

And BINGO >>>>!!!!!!

Finally something that worked to remove this problem as per following the link BleepingComputer.....NOT SPAM IT WORKS !

After installing UnHackMe (Full unlocked version downloaded from thepiratebay not from the link), I ran a scan after reboot and the program immediately detected the "svhost.exe" threat. I asked the program to fix it, and guess what? It actually did. Subsequent to the reboot I used HiJackThis to check for running processes and saw that "svhost.exe" was still running but asked HiJackThis to fix the problem, which it also did, this time permanently. When I checked the Program Files/Microsoft folder, its was gone....I then deleted the folder as it was now empty. After I deleted the Program Files/Microsoft folder and it has not reappeared even after reboot.

Many Thanks.....Many thanks indeed.....

Norton needs to tune things up with the 360 to be able to remove these things....They identified it was there but did nothing about it.....

Rhino1178