Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
creese

Internet connection is lost w/my laptop and wireless adapter

[ Edited ]

I am having this problem with my laptop w/wireless adapter and it is driving me crazy. My internet connection is lost everytime it goes through the routine then it comes back up and I refresh and repeat every 10 minutes. My Linksys settings on 192.168.1.1/ look ok. I hate to reset my router or modem and either lose my connection completely or have to figure out all the settings again. How do I know if it is the Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router w/srx WRT54GX or my SpeedStream 4200 DSL modem or my Windstream ISP?

PLEASE HELP! I have had this problem for over a month now and I despise overseas tech support calls that take hours while they refer to manuals or get coffee or whatever they can do to keep you on the phone for at least 3 hours. I think they have a pool at Tracfone to see who can keep you on the phone the longest. 

Sorry, recent experience that I still can't put behind me. Anyway, I hope it is easy to fix even though that is never the case. I have been using my laptop with a Linksys WRT54GX Wireless-G notebook adapter w/srx ver 2. I have had my DSL service and wireless hookup for over a year and have had no problems until now. I have not made any real changes lately. I do not share printers, files, etc. The problems I see in the security logs and the ipconfig/all are my lease expires daily and my domain is invalid. I did a ping and that was fine.   

Also I am disabled and it is very difficult for me to sit for very long. I haven’t used my desktop for about 6 months so it is not up-to-date with security software. I have to uninstall my old security software and install my Norton 360 but the online updates will be continuously interrupted with the dropped connections. So I am avoiding turning it on for security purposes unless I absolutely have to and when I feel well enough to put the time into it. Could it have something to do with the fact that I have not turned on my desktop in close to 6 months? I do intend to go back to using the desktop so I do not want to do away with wireless and I don't have a phone jack nearby.

Any suggestions? Sorry so long. Windows XP operating system.

Thanks,

Cheryl 

[edit: Changed subject to reflect moved post.]
Message Edited by creese on 10-05-2009 03:35 PM
Message Edited by shannons on 10-05-2009 07:40 PM
SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,683
Solutions: 759

Re: Internet connection is lost w/my laptop and wireless adapter

One possible cause of wireless dropouts (have you connected up with a wire to verify that it is only a wireless issue?) is interference from cordless phones (you mentioned you had no phone jack nearby) and microwaves.  If you determine that this is the source of the problem you could try using a different channel for your network.  Of course, this is just one of many possible things that could be causing your issue.  There is a good wireless troubleshooting tutorial here.  It is geared to Mac users but offers some excellent general advice on things to check.
Contributor
creese

Thank you. Even though it is for a MAC, I have some direction with where to start. I have tried a few things. The Linksys router is not recognizing the desktop connection in Key 1 which is where it is setup in the Linksys interface. But it recognizes the laptop, even if it is for only 10 minutes at a time.

So I just need to figure out if it is the modem setup or the Linksys router firmware. Or...I will let you know what I end up with.

Thanks again.

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,683
Solutions: 759

Hi creese,

You could also consult the support and forum pages at the Linksys web site for information.

Contributor
creese

No luck last time. I thought I would give PCWorld a try. If no luck then linksys again.

Thanks again.