Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
NAT2

Is it better to uninstall V. 5 before installing new V.6 for Norton 360?

When I was at the store, I mentioned the issue one person had listed on this board of having problems with the new version of 360. I was told it is best to uninstall the old version before installing the new because sometimes files trip up the install. If I uninstall, doesn't that leave our computer open to everything (hackers, etc.) that we are trying to avoid? I know it doesn't take long to install, but when I see so many people having problems, it leaves me thinking our computer will be unprotected between the time it takes to uninstall and then get the new one installed. I need to do this today or tomorrow at the latest as we only have 5 days left on our current subscription. I opted to go to the store rather than download to save a little money. Thanks in advance for any insight to this issue. In reading of the problems with V.6 I am so totally not looking forward to this install since I had trouble a few years ago when it ended up taking a full day plus at the computer trying to get everything repaired thru Norton.

Regular Contributor
ccla

Re: Is it better to uninstall V. 5 before installing new V.6 for Norton 360?

In general there's no need to uninstall as the installation program will take care of the upgrade.

But I suppose you can also turn off your internet connection, uninstall the old version, reboot  and install the new one before connect again (to activate and run LiveUpdate)

Sure you leave the system not protected for a while but you try to minimize the risk not having the connection active.

Anyway, I will suggest you to let installation file take car of everything.

bye

Dinesh_Bhalaji
Kudos: 28
Solutions: 10

Re: Is it better to uninstall V. 5 before installing new V.6 for Norton 360?

Hi Nat2,

There is no need to uninstall the old version to install the Norton 360 6.0. When you are trying to install the Norton 6.0 it will automatically upgrade. If you think that you might have a problem you can go ahead and uninstall the Norton from the computer before installing the New Norton. The computer wont be attacked by Hackers if you dont visit any websites during the installation. If you want to be absolutely sure about it you can disconnect the internet meanwhile and connect after installing the Norton.

Regards,

Dinesh Bhalaji